Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

taking off headlight lenses???

Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
EbaySpecial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108 TTEOmason108
Default Re: taking off headlight lenses???

honda? check autozone i know they have like the weather strip adhesive. if they have that then they prolly have headlight stuff or at least something similar.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by TYPE JDM
does anyone know where I can get the glue they use for sealing the lights ?
It's very hard to find; it's not something that is sold much on the open market because headlights aren't usually resealed. Most of the stuff that OEMs use is 2 part urethane (or other types of polymer like butyl) specifically made for that purpose and not sold in small quantities. I did a lot of research on this a few years back. There are a few two part sealants that you can get through distributors like Ellsworth that would probably work OK, or maybe some of the autobody-type 2 part seam sealers. Basically you aren't going to be able to get the same stuff the OEMs use, so you're stuck finding something roughly similar that is commercially available.

Many people use 3M strip caulk, which is just black butyl mastic, and it seems to work OK if you just need to seal a small area. Don't get it very hot though, it starts getting really soft really fast above about 150degF.. It doesn't actually harden or cure, so that may or may not work to your advantage.

Don't ever use silicone. Ever. You'll never be able to separate the headlight halves with heat again if you need to. Well, that and it doesn't adhere to plastics nearly as well as most urethane or butyl products. Not many urethanes will soften very well with low heat either, so I'd be careful there also.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-19-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I like pictures.

Lookinaround Lookinaround Lookinaround Lookinaround Lookinaround Lookinaround Lookinaround Lookinaround Lookinaround Lookinaround Lookinaround

^ well that explains why my aftermarket glass lens lamps leak.

But I've done the same thing with my OEM plastic lens headlamps. I sealed both sets with Black silicone yet only one set leaks.

What gives?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Lookinaround
^ well that explains why my aftermarket glass lens lamps leak.

But I've done the same thing with my OEM plastic lens headlamps. I sealed both sets with Black silicone yet only one set leaks.

What gives?
If the sealant is applied properly, it should be fine. If you put more sealant on top of leaky sealant, you'll probably still have leaks. If you really want the leaks to go away, you have to remove the old sealant and apply new sealant of a proper type. That means not RTV silicone.