Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Thinking about buying a used 302

Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811
Default Thinking about buying a used 302

My motor has been slowly taking a shit on me since September because I am loosing compression in 2 cylinders. I have neither the experience, time, nor tools to rebuild or swap the engine myself, so I'm looking into all of my options for rebuild vs. replacement. One cheaper option I'm considering is a used motor. I came across this one here on CL. Does anyone have any tips for checking used motors when they are already out of the vehicle to help decrease risk of a bad motor?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/pts/3414515354.html

I thought I could have all the gaskets replaced, get machine work done if necessary, and have my shitty transmission rebuilt for $2000 to $3000, but it seems it will cost far more.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:55 PM
supermoto or bust

Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones
Default Re: Thinking about buying a used 302

Too late, I just bought it.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Check compression, and it's nice to see it actually running in something before you take it home. Other than that, you pays your money and you takes your chances. It's pretty hard to know what you're getting without being able to check it out internally or know the exact history from someone you trust. If you can't prove it's in good working order, assume that it probably isn't and make sure that you budget accordingly.

You could also buy a shortblock or rebuilt crate engine depending on what your needs (and budget) are.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811 Dylank811

Originally Posted by Jones
Too late, I just bought it.
I guess my decision is made for me then.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Check compression, and it's nice to see it actually running in something before you take it home. Other than that, you pays your money and you takes your chances. It's pretty hard to know what you're getting without being able to check it out internally or know the exact history from someone you trust. If you can't prove it's in good working order, assume that it probably isn't and make sure that you budget accordingly.

You could also buy a shortblock or rebuilt crate engine depending on what your needs (and budget) are.
I'll look into checking compression then. I don't think I'd be able to see it running in something in this case, but yeah I know that there are risks involved when trying to cut corners. I would love to buy an FRPP 306 crate motor and a T5 heavy duty transmission, but that's $5200 just in parts, which is really out of range.

If the motor had minor problems, it wouldn't be a big deal. As long as it's in better shape than my current one haha. I can probably get my buddy help me do the swap with some liquid encouragement. I'm sure he'd like that beer fridge restocked.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:55 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

what kind of car do you need an engine for? i may be able to get you one
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

holy motherfucking shit....CHAHONDA what the fuck is up dude ???? its been a minute, hope youre doing well.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

Head gaskets/intake manifold gaskets are fairly cheap and so are oil pan gaskets. Check for cracks in the block, signs of excessive wear in the cylinder walls, make sure all your internals are bolted tight, just make sure if you pull it apart you follow the steps in making sure you mark where the head bolts where front to back, which position each pushrod was in, and follow the procedures for retorquing and get a tube of engine assembly grease to lube any internal mechanical parts that touch metal to metal during assembly. Most motors are simple to assemble and disassemble, and for added assurance ask him to show you the chamber under the intake to check for cracks as well as the oil pan. If he will have him pull the heads too but I doubt he will, it's best to get something with a guarantee as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:25 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
holy motherfucking shit....CHAHONDA what the fuck is up dude ???? its been a minute, hope youre doing well.
lol yo wassup ricky. been busy and shit!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 PM
corona connessuer

Originally Posted by Slooby
Head gaskets/intake manifold gaskets are fairly cheap and so are oil pan gaskets. Check for cracks in the block, signs of excessive wear in the cylinder walls, make sure all your internals are bolted tight, just make sure if you pull it apart you follow the steps in making sure you mark where the head bolts where front to back, which position each pushrod was in, and follow the procedures for retorquing and get a tube of engine assembly grease to lube any internal mechanical parts that touch metal to metal during assembly. Most motors are simple to assemble and disassemble, and for added assurance ask him to show you the chamber under the intake to check for cracks as well as the oil pan. If he will have him pull the heads too but I doubt he will, it's best to get something with a guarantee as well.
lol.. thats called the lifter valley...but yeah i have seen them crack before.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
corona connessuer

on a serious note. most anyone selling a used engine will not tear it apart so you can look at it. at most you may be able to remove a valve cover or possibly the oil pan. its best if you can hear it run in the car. if not then its just the luck of the draw. i do sell used and reman engines. all of my used engines come with at least a 6 month warranty. the remans come with a 3 year warranty

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a used 302