Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Tranny question fer a hondah

Old 02-14-2012, 02:43 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes
Default Re: Tranny question fer a hondah

The ls 5th gear would be ideal for cruising/fuel economy since the ls ratios are rather tall to be more economic. Alot of people do this to save gas. The gsr 5th isn't as tall as the ls but its not as short as the type r so it'll help with cruising but the change wont be as drastic as using an ls.

Itr at 70mph cruising=4500rpm give or take
Gsr at 70mph cruising=3900rpm give or take
ls at 70mph cruising=3400rpm give or take

Also everything is interchangeable with no modification needed. If you have any questions pm me brosef
Old 02-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

My dad had a ls 5th in his itr trans and it Worked great for dd.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Matt i already have a transmission set up like this, come down to VB and trade me

or you can come down here and i can do the work for you

and don't quote me on this because it's been a while for me to pull out the honda Knowledge but i'm pretty sure the JDM Type R has a Gs-R 4th and 5th gear already....it's the final drive that makes it suck, so change from the 4.7 to a 4.4 and add an LS 5th gear....

Last edited by NasTHatch; 02-14-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Unregistered Member

Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
Matt i already have a transmission set up like this, come down to VB and trade me

and don't quote me on this because it's been a while for me to pull out the honda Knowledge but i'm pretty sure the JDM Type R has a Gs-R 4th and 5th gear already....it's the final drive that makes it suck, so change from the 4.7 to a 4.4 and add an LS 5th gear....
Not disagreeing, cause I only know so much. the final drives effect it all, thats why a 4.7 is shorter in all the gears than say a 4.4FD. But a LS 5th gear is slightly longer.

Here, found this:

explains it all.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:15 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

yeah but if wanted great gas mileage but retain the short gears he could change to a 4.4 and ls 5th
Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Unregistered Member

Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.

true. my point was just that a ls 5th would result in a longer 5th, therefore better gas. but yeah a 4.4 and a ls 5th would be best, just make the car seem slower.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:28 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Originally Posted by NasTHatch

better yet, he can come down here and you can come up to where im at and we can have a trans building/swapping party in my garage
Old 02-14-2012, 04:34 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

Originally Posted by Travis.
true. my point was just that a ls 5th would result in a longer 5th, therefore better gas. but yeah a 4.4 and a ls 5th would be best, just make the car seem slower.
true...i have had both the 4.4 and the 4.7

the 4.7 SUCKED, but then again i had a b20vtec so i beat on it every chance i got
Old 02-14-2012, 05:55 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

So basically, find an LS hydro tranny, and rip our 5th gear and stick it in mine. I get all the benifits of 1-4 being awesome then 5th for highway useage.

amirite?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

yes, your top speed would go from 156@ 8500rpms to 185@8500 rpms

Last edited by NasTHatch; 02-14-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny question fer a hondah