Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo ls vtec

Old 02-28-2006, 09:11 PM
I drive a coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)
Default Re: turbo ls vtec

asking questions is research...
Old 03-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Registered Member

MrZoggs is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you! i didnt think there would be anything wrong with just a simple question...some advice ya know? someone who might have done it before and would maybe know.cus i dont want to do it and then it not be worth it because i have to buy a headgasket every month.it was just a simple question that i was wondering and turboing the ls vtec wont happen any time soon with me...i was just asking a simple question for later knowledge...thanks to all for your help!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:23 AM
I'm still slow.....

ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR

Originally Posted by j4k3
and ls vtec isnt great for boost due to some sort of ratio of the stroke or something like that. enigma has a long speech about it in another post.
How are people like you still giving advice? That rod/stroke ratio has nothing to do with boosting.

To answer the first question. Blown headgaskets is usually due to installer error or too much boost on the stock headgasket. If you really wanted to boost an ls/vtec and not go crazy with it. Don't boost over 10psi and you won't blow your ring lands or your headgasket. But be mindfull if you boost spike then just hope your motor can take it. If you are that worried about blowing the motor up then get some forged internals and a cometic headgasket and some arp head bolts and you'll be good.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:32 AM
Banned

skott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sohcrxturbo
how much u plan on boosting psi wise?

i say go ls turbo
save your money from purchasing a vtec head to buy internals/fuel/tune
and upgrade your turbo kit

either go Ls/Vtec NA or LS Turbo
I can't remember who all on TampaRacing.com has LS/Vtec turbo... you can check the Honda forums about that... Make a simple post in ref to it and the people will come out of the wood work...

how ever in reference to LS Turbo.... my friend Blake "Vertigo on that site" was running 20 psi on his 91 teg. had forged internals, stock head, stock block, boost controller from an old starion, inter-cooler was cut down from a diesel truck, RFL blow off, T3/04 hybrid and a couple other goodies... The only problem I have ever see him have was when he was running some crappy OBX turbo manifold and the boost kept cracking the manifold... Then when he lowered his car, he started to break drive shafts. If memory serves me correct he was pulling a nice even 300 at the front wheels. From personal experience from driving the car. It's damn fast but torque steer from 3000 rpms to 7000 rpms was a bitch fighting to keep the car straight as the wheels squeal and smoke a bit.... lol...

Also in ref to the stroke of the ls vtec your absolutely correct. It has one of the worst rod to stroke ratios of all the Honda motors... but as long as you don't rev past 85000 rpms there shouldn't be any issues w/ that...

On a side note, since then Blake wised up and traded off the hondas. Currently he has a pair of Z32's one n/a and one boosted.... Can't wait to go visit so i can hammer on both.... lol...

~skottie b...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

You're from Tampa as well? I remember when TR was a tiny little site....lol.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm still slow.....

ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR ZeroMR

Originally Posted by DWLSRx8
Also in ref to the stroke of the ls vtec your absolutely correct. It has one of the worst rod to stroke ratios of all the Honda motors... but as long as you don't rev past 85000 rpms there shouldn't be any issues w/ that...

~skottie b...
Worst rod/stroke ratio isn't the right way to put it. It's not that is the worst, it's the longest rod/stroke. Which is the main reason why you would want to go ls/vtec. With forced internal you can go up to 8500 with the occasional 9k. On a stock LS bottom end 7k, with arp rod bolts 8k. But that's not every day either, keep that in mind.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:35 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Originally Posted by ZeroMR
How are people like you still giving advice? That rod/stroke ratio has nothing to do with boosting.

To answer the first question. Blown headgaskets is usually due to installer error or too much boost on the stock headgasket. If you really wanted to boost an ls/vtec and not go crazy with it. Don't boost over 10psi and you won't blow your ring lands or your headgasket. But be mindfull if you boost spike then just hope your motor can take it. If you are that worried about blowing the motor up then get some forged internals and a cometic headgasket and some arp head bolts and you'll be good.
theres a write-up i found somewhere sating that you would want a shorter rod/stroke ratio if your planning high boost. i never said i was positive about it.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

skott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ZeroMR
Worst rod/stroke ratio isn't the right way to put it. It's not that is the worst, it's the longest rod/stroke. Which is the main reason why you would want to go ls/vtec. With forced internal you can go up to 8500 with the occasional 9k. On a stock LS bottom end 7k, with arp rod bolts 8k. But that's not every day either, keep that in mind.
hmmm Don't know about that... Roomie "Janky J" was running Ls/vtec until he got his CR/vtec motor biult... we ran 8500 rpm in that beast on the daily.. Specially when i was driving.... Just like you stated he was using ARP bolts and studs... Can't remember pistons and rods off hand, but I can find out if ya want... car was bottle fed w/ a 10:1 compression... Nothing much just an 80 shot. Had more problems w/ damn trannies than motor itself....

Originally Posted by MerF
You're from Tampa as well? I remember when TR was a tiny little site....lol.
Yeah I remember those days too... They have blown up out of no where... Sponsoring allot of track events, meets and greets and BBQ's... MMM BBQ's.... lol.. Not to mention that sub of a site they brought up for TR "www.tampaforums.com" lol... their trying to become a myspace I think....

On the other note, I'm not from Tampa, I lived around the R.VA area for 9 years or so before I went down there for 5 years... Use to live in Clearwater and Largo during that time... Did allot of stupid shit down there when it came to driving luckily i was only caught driving on a suspended a few times when driving drunk people home from Ybor... Or that one time when I was paced at 120 on the Howard Franklin... All I can say in ref. to that is thank god we had the F.O.P. stickers on the car. Other wise I woulda been doing the black macareena.... lol... "or how ever you spell that shit...

~skottie b...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

... Then when he lowered his car, he started to break drive shafts. If memory serves me correct he was pulling a nice even 300 at the front wheels. From personal experience from driving the car. It's damn fast but torque steer from 3000 rpms to 7000 rpms was a bitch fighting to keep the car straight as the wheels squeal and smoke a bit.... lol...

how the fuck do you break a driveshaft (adding to the fact you made it plural..as if there are multiple driveshafts on any car) in a FWD honda?

can anyone explain that to me? please dont tell me im the only one that caught that.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Rubbin's Dubbin'

gofastr110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

... Then when he lowered his car, he started to break drive shafts. If memory serves me correct he was pulling a nice even 300 at the front wheels. From personal experience from driving the car. It's damn fast but torque steer from 3000 rpms to 7000 rpms was a bitch fighting to keep the car straight as the wheels squeal and smoke a bit.... lol...

how the fuck do you break a driveshaft (adding to the fact you made it plural..as if there are multiple driveshafts on any car) in a FWD honda?

can anyone explain that to me? please dont tell me im the only one that caught that.

he prolly ment the drive axle. he got caried away when he was typin 2 fast but glad 2 see all the help 4 this kid. he is a good guy just tryin to figure his way w/o spending a fortune on broken pats.

Quick Reply: turbo ls vtec