Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo question

Old 03-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
google is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: turbo question

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
in my opinion its not really the amount of boost that will determine if you float a valve, its rpm limiting that will do so, hell ive seen stock ls motors run 17 psi all day long(with race gas) and never have a problem but they didnt go past there stock rev limit, once you start going over stock rev limit is when you start placing that extra load on your valvetrain that wasnt designed for it, i was running 13psi on my ls all day on pump gas with no problems cause i never went past 6800 rpm, headwork is a plus to a turbo car, its not really neccasary to have headwork done but you will make more power with headwork, and if you plan on running 17-20psi on a stock internal ls/vtec setup everyday on pump gas, you should just stop and go read a couple books and some informative articles on turbo hondas cause your just asking for trouble.....
This is actually very accurate. Valve float wont occur if your revving in whatever spring load range your valve springs were designed to handle. We have run 18psi at the track and had absol no problem. The benefits of a port and polish job are minimal on a street car where you wont run race gas and wont be boosting over 15lbs. If your running a lot of boost on a very well tuned motor and assuming you have a hondata or speed pro, Ind. fuel management system that can raise your rev limit, all youll need is valve springs and retainers. Valves are nice but not totally necessary. PnP will increase Aflow but will not make your car run any cooler as I am assuming your talking about IAT temps. Bigger surface intercooler or carbon Intake mani will decrease your IATs considerably.
PnP is more so a mod left to N/A motors as all our turbo cars run stock heads with the exception of valve springs and retainers, we always run stock integ cams even in the typer's we run stock gsr. <-- that is totally debatable but with less overlap and shorter duration we find a little more usable power mid range. Good luck with ur setup, and everything ive said is always just my 2 cents
Old 03-10-2004, 09:21 AM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

you do not need to do headwork.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:55 AM
ITR prick #1...

boostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these parts

no, he really should at least get his head checked.

Old 03-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

93civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by google
This is actually very accurate. Valve float wont occur if your revving in whatever spring load range your valve springs were designed to handle. We have run 18psi at the track and had absol no problem. The benefits of a port and polish job are minimal on a street car where you wont run race gas and wont be boosting over 15lbs. If your running a lot of boost on a very well tuned motor and assuming you have a hondata or speed pro, Ind. fuel management system that can raise your rev limit, all youll need is valve springs and retainers. Valves are nice but not totally necessary. PnP will increase Aflow but will not make your car run any cooler as I am assuming your talking about IAT temps. Bigger surface intercooler or carbon Intake mani will decrease your IATs considerably.
PnP is more so a mod left to N/A motors as all our turbo cars run stock heads with the exception of valve springs and retainers, we always run stock integ cams even in the typer's we run stock gsr. <-- that is totally debatable but with less overlap and shorter duration we find a little more usable power mid range. Good luck with ur setup, and everything ive said is always just my 2 cents
ladies and gentlemen give this man applaus for a great answer to my question. great info bro and thanx alot for your time. my concern was losing power w/ a turbo setup on stock ports.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Jus Chillin'

Gladimor is an unknown quantity at this point

theres a guy here at my job that has had a lot of success with a built sir-2 head, the head has been through two or three blocks and is still tickin you might want to look into that. he's in high 300's trying to get over 400whp on a t4, millenium does most of the in depth work on his ride so maybe they can help you with your questions.

lates.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:26 PM
ITR prick #1...

boostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by 93civic
ladies and gentlemen give this man applaus for a great answer to my question. great info bro and thanx alot for your time. my concern was losing power w/ a turbo setup on stock ports.

theres no way in hell you can expect to get an answer like that with the question you asked.

bad form=
Old 03-10-2004, 01:34 PM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

no shit, of course stock pistons/rods/spings/valves ect ect, are NOT going to be as good as there aftermarket upgrades.

that is the dumbest question I have ever seen.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:08 AM
Registered Member

google is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zappas
no shit, of course stock pistons/rods/spings/valves ect ect, are NOT going to be as good as there aftermarket upgrades.

Well I like stock valves, they have really good flow by properties a nice swirl polish and there great not to mention damn easy to find used ones in good condition. I mean if u go to Alaniz they’ll even recommend stock sized OEM valves for high compression motors, just because they don’t readily break, they’ll bend but wont easily break. A lot of stainless valves will snap like a twig but aftermarket valves are a lot lighter and decrease valve train float when accompanied higher bind rate springs, hence the usage on high boost turbo applications. One thing I defin recommend would be using type R Lost Motion Assy, they will not bind as quickly as stockers, and for the h22a people the type S ones are awesome, that is if your going to get a big cam like a jun 3 or a toda C. You always hear of people breaking their aftermarket long duration high lift cams in pieces, this is the reason for the most part. Good luck everyone, as always this is just my 2 cents.

Last edited by google; 03-11-2004 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

93civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zappas

why even post stupidity of this nature???
Old 03-11-2004, 08:50 AM
I Piss Excellence

Shive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond reputeShive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 93civic
why even post stupidity of this nature???
Because he's Zappas.....

And dude, do you have a teal hatch?

Quick Reply: turbo question