Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

turbo question

Old 03-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Dont Be Scared Homie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu
Default Re: turbo question

well really with any turbo system, bigger is better. it all depends on how much money you have to spend. personally, i'd go with a 3in as that leaves room for more mods and higher boost later on. plus you prolly wouldn't hafta deal with restrictions if you decide to upgrade the turbo later. now i wouldn't put a 3in exhaust on a car that isn't turbo'd yet, cuz that's just stupid.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

93civic is an unknown quantity at this point

also from wat ive heard smaller turbos are harder to keep running smooth on street driven cars because they run alot hotter than bigger turbos, and that extra heat kills the oil.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Dont Be Scared Homie

Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu Neo Xian Wu

it would be the other way around man. more exhaust is needed to spool the turbo, which in turn generates more heat. now a smaller turbo will loose efficiency alot easier and just begin to produce heat at higher RPMs. for example, the TD05-12a in my car loses efficiency at around 15-17psi and around the 5500rpm range. needless to say, it's pretty shitty. more or less the reason i'm upgrading to a 16g when i get everything running right. now like a big T series turbo (T-60 etc) is going to take more energy from the motor to spool it up, but the powerband is shifted towards the higher RPM range.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:48 PM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EEK
actually i think if you ran a stock itr head and just change out the injectors it should be able to handle 17-20psi..shit i seen ppl do 22psi on a stock gsr head

i've seen someone run a 9 on a stock head (aftermarket valve springs, but had stock cams)
Old 03-12-2004, 08:47 PM
been around awhile.

zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas zappas

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
i hope your not trying to dog on anyone, because your answers were pretty simple and your knowledge of motors or cars is no more surpassed or impressive than the guy your trying to diss.......
he asked a dumb question.

I gave him an answer to his question, simple yes...

and i do not claim to know everything about cars...nor do I care.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

audiophile24 has disabled reputation

what was the original question again?
Old 03-13-2004, 05:46 AM
Dont Be Scared Homie

clicking on the link for the first page will answer your question.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Neo Xian Wu
it would be the other way around man. more exhaust is needed to spool the turbo, which in turn generates more heat. now a smaller turbo will loose efficiency alot easier and just begin to produce heat at higher RPMs. for example, the TD05-12a in my car loses efficiency at around 15-17psi and around the 5500rpm range. needless to say, it's pretty shitty. more or less the reason i'm upgrading to a 16g when i get everything running right. now like a big T series turbo (T-60 etc) is going to take more energy from the motor to spool it up, but the powerband is shifted towards the higher RPM range.
pretty accurate but still ur missing the point my brethren. this is not inteded to say ur wrong or try and make u look stupid but a simple difference in point of view. now the point i am trying to make is; that the main source of KILLER heat is generated not before spooling but during the actual movement of the shaft. the rpms that the smaller turbos reaches let say around 5k are far more than the large turbo in turn creates alot more heat thus dramatically thinning out the oil. this process is very harsh on the bearings witch plays a key role ur turbos longevity.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

so my friends the heat we want to concentrate on is the heat being put into are motor, not the heat in the exhaust manifold cuz we know that good old log can handle a good amount of heat. but are precious 4 grand dollar motors are a lil more fragile.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Registered member

Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT

Originally Posted by 93civic
this question does not apply to adding hp...im just wondering in order to have a correct a/f ratio would i have to do head work on my lsvtec?? i know turbos require alot of space(flow area) in order to eliminate backpressure and also will it hurt my top end(high rpms) without headwork? also with head work done will my motor run cooler?

i know alot of people that bolt on turbos on honda and run them... with out head work... BUT... to truly get the performance your going after head work would be BEST. "bigger valves, ported, but not too smooth. you want it smooth enough for air to flow its best but if its too smooth it will actualy hurt he performance. so to give you what ur lookin for... YES do some head work on the honda. your car is set up nice for all application but for boost.. the more air you can flow the better... but just remember to have the fuel to back it up to.