Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Turbo Questions... need suggestions/input

Old 04-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wildman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Turbo Questions... need suggestions/input

thanks for everyone who's given some input. I've read up on it a lot more, i'm not really confident that a vortech or similiar FMU will support what I want and i'd run into trouble with fuel pressure and a bigger pump being able to support higher pressure at 8 or 9psi, but I don't want to spend the massive amounts of cash on a stand alone so I think I'll be going with 440 or 450 injectors, bigger pump, and get an SAFC and go with the hack. Then I'll also need a missing link and some other stuff. I'll be buying the turbo new, but things like the exhaust manifold, intercooler, and SAFC will be fine buying used so going this route is much more affordable then getting a kit (which is around 3300 for my car). The afc hack should have no problem supporting 8-9psi of boost for when i feel like turning it up, which is what i'm worried about with the FMU setup. I'll probably run 6psi daily though.

Will i still need a fuel pressure regulator with the above setup? Any other suggestions on how to do this, i appreciate it

btw - i'm guessing it will be 1000-1500 dollars, but a lot of that will just depend on what kind of deals i see. Starion fmic's go for as little as $50, or i could get a johnnyracecar.com 5" for $180 shipped. t3/t4 turbos go anywhere from $280-400 new, if I get an IHI RHB5 turbo that will be more affordable. There's just a lot of variables that will affect price. The only thing I want to make sure i get new is the turbo just so I don't have to worry about how it was maintained.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

audiophile24 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wildman
thanks for everyone who's given some input. I've read up on it a lot more, i'm not really confident that a vortech or similiar FMU will support what I want and i'd run into trouble with fuel pressure and a bigger pump being able to support higher pressure at 8 or 9psi, but I don't want to spend the massive amounts of cash on a stand alone so I think I'll be going with 440 or 450 injectors, bigger pump, and get an SAFC and go with the hack. Then I'll also need a missing link and some other stuff. I'll be buying the turbo new, but things like the exhaust manifold, intercooler, and SAFC will be fine buying used so going this route is much more affordable then getting a kit (which is around 3300 for my car). The afc hack should have no problem supporting 8-9psi of boost for when i feel like turning it up, which is what i'm worried about with the FMU setup. I'll probably run 6psi daily though.

Will i still need a fuel pressure regulator with the above setup? Any other suggestions on how to do this, i appreciate it

btw - i'm guessing it will be 1000-1500 dollars, but a lot of that will just depend on what kind of deals i see. Starion fmic's go for as little as $50, or i could get a johnnyracecar.com 5" for $180 shipped. t3/t4 turbos go anywhere from $280-400 new, if I get an IHI RHB5 turbo that will be more affordable. There's just a lot of variables that will affect price. The only thing I want to make sure i get new is the turbo just so I don't have to worry about how it was maintained.
is there not a kit for your engine?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

there is but the kits suck, you need to replace a couple things in it, better to just go custom.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:36 AM
Banned

Wildman is an unknown quantity at this point

plus the kit is like $3300, why waste all of that money