Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

valve adjustment

Old 03-27-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keyd has disabled reputation
Default Re: valve adjustment

Originally Posted by crxnfx
so just stick your head right in, noise around right?
Yes. If need be get a big screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope.

Originally Posted by crxnfx
this is really going to piss you off but um, we don't have pushrods....
Not sure why that would piss me off. Like I said in my post above: "I'm not familiar with your specific engine"

I'm just trying to help the guy out by listing possible ticking noises. If something doesn't apply then just ignore it. I have seen a couple cars develop a tick and seem to run great then throw a rod 2-6 weeks later. Not saying that is going to happen but that's an expensive gamble.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:22 PM
want some get some

MIKE_MYERS is an unknown quantity at this point

some shop i paid 75 bucks and then i paid 1300 for a new motor..dont that suck..
Old 03-27-2004, 10:12 PM

Devine_wind has disabled reputation

Right now I am trying to ponder of your meaning of a spacer, maybe he meant a feeler guage. Well, the procedure is that you must get the engine running for a bit, and have it warmed atleast 100 degrees. about 30 or 45 minutes after the car is shut off.

That is when you do the valve adjustment. Make sure that number 1 is on TDC on compression stroke and adjust the 1st and fourth intake should be at .007 or 7thousandths than do the exhaust side at .009 or 9thousandths. always double check. Then turn the crank over until 3rd cylinder is at TDC at compression stroke. Do the same.

I am hoping that you have the right type of feeler guage, they are bent. My MAC man sells them for 15 or so and craftsman sells them for 9 dollars. (mac looks better)

other noises of ticking could be a loose sparkplug wire, or on the distributor. As for the the listening with the screwdriver I like using a foot long broom stick, instead. Just place it on top of the valve cover and put your ear ontop of it. I hope this helps, Keyed has put out good info, much props.