Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

vis cf hood just flew off my car wtf!!!!

Old 11-25-2009, 06:56 AM
Troll & Run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default Re: vis cf hood just flew off my car wtf!!!!

btw if you dont want hood pins get these
http://www.deftracing.com/aerocatch_hood_pins/index.htm
Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
What would a lawyer do? The hood was used on the street ("for off-road use only") and hood pins weren't used. Where's the legal recourse to do anything at all?
Uh...I'm guessing you're not a lawyer. At any rate, over a $400 hood it's not worth calling a lawyer.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Uh...I'm guessing you're not a lawyer. At any rate, over a $400 hood it's not worth calling a lawyer.
That was basically my point in a roundabout way. If someone got killed, then things would be different, but in this case there isn't enough legal fodder to be worthwhile to pursue over the cost of the hood...
Old 11-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe 03dgcoupe

Why wouldnt you put hood pins on it? Thats the first thing to do on a carbon fiber hood. They dont have a perfect fit for your car and air gets under them.

Whoever said theres no legal recourse is right. Thats why all these things say for off road use only just like when they say they are california smog legal or such and they still say offroad use only which covers them.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Time to drill some hood pins in!
Old 11-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Blowin' smoke.

tdi520 is a jewel in the roughtdi520 is a jewel in the roughtdi520 is a jewel in the rough

If I was you, I'd call VIS and tell the about the problem. If they don't give you a new hood, explain how upset you are and how you're going to post up this problem on every forum you can find.

I know for one, I won't be buying a VIS hood after seeing this.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Registered member

kadafiz has disabled reputation

Damn, i got a VIS hood as well with no hood pins and i see it shake when i hop on the freeway, better grab some before this happens!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by kadafiz
Damn, i got a VIS hood as well with no hood pins and i see it shake when i hop on the freeway, better grab some before this happens!
You're seeing it shake because it's not stiff enough and it's oscillating from the force of the air. That usually doesn't mean anything except that it's crap quality, but there is a chance that oscillation that badly will eventually cause the adhesive between the top and bottom pieces to fail..

Have I said yet that most carbon hoods are purely cosmetic...?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 AM
Dogs

BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR

VIS'S extreme lightweight hood!!!!????!!!!??? startatrendbro!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Registered Member

slammed has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
What would a lawyer do? The hood was used on the street ("for off-road use only") and hood pins weren't used. Where's the legal recourse to do anything at all?

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Pretty much every carbon hood under about $1k are crap. The only exception to that are hoods that use proper construction methods but still use cheap materials, which can usually turn out perfectly fine for cosmetic street use. Really though, if you want a good hood, you need to get one that is actually designed properly, uses proper materials, is constructed properly, etc., and that doesn't come cheap. We're talking vacuum consolidation (ideally prepreg instead of wet layup), epoxy resin (or vinylester at the absolute minimum) and some type of honeycomb or urethane foam core for stiffness. Yeah, some $600 (or $350, or whatever) hood will look virtually identical to a $1500 hood from the outside, but the difference is quality. I've never had a carbon hood on any car I've owned, and that's because I can't afford to buy one that I think is acceptable, and that I haven't had the time or money (or an extra hood to make the tooling from) to properly tool and laminate a one-off. I won't throw a ViS hood or whatever on the car because I'd rather have a steel hood (or aluminum in the case of my WRX) than a poorly done cosmetic carbon part.

And yeah, I'm foamin'. I'm hardcore when it comes to composites.

I do agree