Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

vtec wont engage randomly

Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calvintheelimin calvintheelimin calvintheelimin calvintheelimin
Default vtec wont engage randomly

Problem: check engine light comes on, VTEC won't engage
Background: I have had this issue for almost 2 years now and have been lazy on this problem because I only go to and from work in the car (20,000 miles). Bought the engine in question as a long block and ecu, no accessories on the block.
Description: motor is a B20b with a 94 GSR head. Only stock parts in motor are the retainers in the head and crankshaft. Motor is in a 90 CRX SI. B16 that was in car when I got it was a DIY'er in their garage and messed up wiring keeping OBD 0. I had motor installed and rewired professionally. The problem I am having is that car drives and acts normal with good VTEC engage. But when I drive at highway speeds, then slow down for the enevitable traffic, check engine light comes on an VTEC won't work. Another issue is that due to my transmission, I ride at 65 mph at 4k rpm. VTEC cross over is 4.1k rpms and at random times, when I go to accelerate past cross over car bogs down and won't go above 4k rpms. Check engine light clears some times when I rev engine. And when cel is on, car can drive normally above 4k rpms. Only real difference between the set up in my car and car motor was tuned for is transmission and I have a cat on my exhaust. There are no odd knocks coming from engine and car does get worse gas milage when cel is on. I only run 93 octane in car.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: vtec wont engage randomly

So there is a B16 ECU in the car and it was tuned for a different engine? I'm assuming you've already read and looked up the CEL that you're getting, so what is it?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Registered member

Engine was tuned and and it is a chipped p72 ecu I believe and havent been able to find out what the cel is because I don't know how too. For most part the car is converted over to obd1. I don't have a plug for a diags.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You can jumper the service check connector with a paper clip and the CEL lamp will blink out the specific codes.

What intake manifold are you using, the GSR manifold or something else?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 AM
B.E.T.P.

hatchblack has disabled reputation

the jumper in a crx is the little plug on the drivers side engine bay with that little white plug. jump that with a paper clip like he said and count how many long and how many short blinks. and if their are multiple numbers, you have multiple codes.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:34 AM
Registered member

Motor: B20B block bought from Hmotors online(beautiful condition)
84mm Wiesico pistons
Eagle Rods
ACL bearings
ARP head Bolts
GSR timing belt/water pump/oil pump
Fresh Honda seals
Stock B16A Head
97' ITR cams w/Sk2 cam gears
Rocket Motorsports valve springs, Stock retainers ferrea valves
AEBS intake manifold
RC 310cc Injectors B&M FPR w/ gauge Chipped OBD1 Ecu
Thats every thing on the motor. Ill find the plug and jumper it later never thought about that plug.

Last edited by calvintheelimin; 12-07-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: grammer check
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 AM
B.E.T.P.

hatchblack has disabled reputation

the rpms not allowing to go past a certain point could be the distributor

its obviously some electrical problem somewhere
Old 12-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

93civicdxgreen has disabled reputation

have u check ur ground wire witch is on the thermostat housing that grounds the vtec pressure switch also thats the same ground that goes to ur injectors and dizzy and check all ur wiring u mite have a open wire somewhere that touching and grounding off sometimes and have u also checked ur oil pressure because that obviously control vtec and pull ur vtec solenoid of and check screen for metal and clean it if their is if theirs alot of metal in thier u mite wanna find out why
Old 12-05-2010, 09:57 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by 93civicdxgreen
have u check ur ground wire witch is on the thermostat housing that grounds the vtec pressure switch also thats the same ground that goes to ur injectors and dizzy and check all ur wiring u mite have a open wire somewhere that touching and grounding off sometimes and have u also checked ur oil pressure because that obviously control vtec and pull ur vtec solenoid of and check screen for metal and clean it if their is if theirs alot of metal in thier u mite wanna find out why
Can you type this over again and do it in English? Try to not sound like you are from "da skreets"
Old 12-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

93civicdxgreen has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
Can you type this over again and do it in English? Try to not sound like you are from "da skreets"
i hope this makes you wet your pants because its all better now

have u checked your ground wire witch is on the thermostat housing that grounds the vtec pressure switch also thats the same ground that goes to your injectors and dizzy and check all your wiring you mite have a open wire somewhere that touching and grounding off sometimes and have you also checked your oil pressure because that obviously controls vtec and pull your vtec solenoid off and check the screen for metal and clean it if their is alot of metal in there u mite wanna find out why.

Quick Reply: vtec wont engage randomly