Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

What size turbo should i run on my d15??

Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Slowest HRC Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What size turbo should i run on my d15??

Originally Posted by madsteez
hmm a little pricey,and i only found one internally wastegated.That gives me a good idea.

About what sizes should i be looking at?

Like a .52?or what??
Again, pick a manufacturer. Anything for the 200 hp range, will be internally wastegated, with a very few exceptions. You want some margin, but not a lot. That ensures higher boost pressures. And the turbine side controls spool. You're probably looking for an A/R on the turbine side of .40-.55, with a very small wheel.

The manufacturer will have a turbine application chart. You're looking for something that makes about 225-250 tops, on a 1.5L engine sizing. There will be a few options in that range. Keep in mind, that usually (but not always) the smaller turbo will have faster response, faster spool, and better street-ability. The larger the turbo, the higher the RPM's required to take advantage of it.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

And if you're going to go with a T3, the T3 60 (not super) is a really good option. Get the Standard Trim wheel (smallest available for the T3) with the smallest A/R possible for better spool. Even with that effort, it won't spool fast, like the smaller turbo's would. But, it's as good an option as you can get for a T3.

If you're going that route, a T3/T04E will probably spool better, and make a little more power at the lower pressures. The 57 trim looks pretty good in that configuration, at the lower power levels. But you still want the really small turbine side....
Old 01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

jdm4lyf has disabled reputation

Garret t25 off of a mazdaspeed protege. You could get about 200 whp off of it and it spools fast.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

Originally Posted by jdm4lyf
Garret t25 off of a mazdaspeed protege. You could get about 200 whp off of it and it spools fast.
arent that internally wastegated,I DO NOT WANT A INTERNALLY WASTEGATED TURBO!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

murphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these parts

^then block it off and run external...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Wii
Retired OG

Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii Wii

GT28
Old 01-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

drftr4lyf has disabled reputation

Or just go Get a k03 turbo like i suggested. These turbo's are good for an easy 250whp. If you want an even better turbo the k04 can see power into the 300whp range.

http://www.gpopshop.com/kkkturbos.html

Both house external wastegates.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 PM
Ohhh Snap

madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez madsteez

Originally Posted by drftr4lyf
Or just go Get a k03 turbo like i suggested. These turbo's are good for an easy 250whp. If you want an even better turbo the k04 can see power into the 300whp range.

http://www.gpopshop.com/kkkturbos.html

Both house external wastegates.
I appreciate the link,and unfortunately as it may seem i need a cheap route to my problem.I have an 1100 dollar lawyer fee and i was not expecting my turbo to crap out.

Im very happy with my turbo size now but i cant not find anything remotely close to it without the code.
Originally Posted by murphy660
^then block it off and run external...
Are all block off plates the same,like universal or would i have to find one particulary for the turbo i have.Ive never dealt with turbos so im not sure on sizeing and specs of them etc etc.

Would the super 60 spool quickly?60 series sounds a bit extreme.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage

t3 super 60 imo spoolinperformance has a few that are good to look at internally and externally gated.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Ohhh Snap

I wish someone had a t28 locally that has had the internal waste gate already removed.Id pay well for it.

btw to do the t25 and t28 have t3/t4 4 bolt flange and a 5 bolt downpipe flange??

Quick Reply: What size turbo should i run on my d15??