Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

What yall think of 3in exhaust on a h22

Old 03-22-2009, 11:30 PM
da dragva kokopelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz
Default Re: What yall think of 3in exhaust on a h22

Originally Posted by 8====D
This maybe a dumb question but since you brought it up ill just ask. What do you mean by true 2.5in exhaust. As in 2.5in piping all the way to the header.. or headers?
yeah that and the fact that some exhaust have resonators in them that arent 2.5 inch through those as well. so yeah 2.5 inch ALL THE WAY from the header to the end of the exhaust/muffler (i say exhaust because the buddy club did NOT HAVE A MUFFLER.)

the night of the tune.... it was loud for no reason....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hViE1KBw0xU

Originally Posted by DonVizMe
I am assuming the ID of the headers and flow paths for best/less restrictive flow.
yeah thats why people who truly want the most out of there n/a hondas pay 800 bucks or more for the headers they put on there cars.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:38 PM
green box is back!

DonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud of

yeah thats why people who truly want the most out of there n/a hondas pay 800 bucks or more for the headers they put on there cars.
Yeah a buddy of mine w/ a mkV rabbit is waiting for (cant remember the company) new headers. The power gains are supposed to be comparable to a small turbo set up. Pretty big HP gain, their slogan is who needs a turbo. Or something along those lines.

I am a ME student at ODU. I understand the concepts of flow paths and backpressure/ exhaust restrictions. Just thought there may be something I was missing out on.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:45 PM
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

Yeah a buddy of mine w/ a mkV rabbit is waiting for (cant remember the company) new headers. The power gains are supposed to be comparable to a small turbo set up. Pretty big HP gain, their slogan is who needs a turbo. Or something along those lines.

I am a ME student at ODU. I understand the concepts of flow paths and backpressure/ exhaust restrictions. Just thought there may be something I was missing out on.
i wish i had the patience to do ME.
i dont have the power in me to school for anything, i had a hard enough time finishing high school without skipping away that 4 years because i was bored. got great grades, but couldnt stand the concept of sitting in a school all day discussing theory.

we have dyno's to tell us what works and what doesnt. and for the most part all engines concept of making HP/TQ is the same general theory.

no replacement for displacement, unless you have a HUGE FUCKING TURBO. lol.
more air, more fuel, more flow = more power/tq
but TUNING IS KEY. narrows it down for the most part.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 PM
green box is back!

DonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nagger
i wish i had the patience to do ME.
i dont have the power in me to school for anything, i had a hard enough time finishing high school without skipping away that 4 years because i was bored. got great grades, but couldnt stand the concept of sitting in a school all day discussing theory.

we have dyno's to tell us what works and what doesnt. and for the most part all engines concept of making HP/TQ is the same general theory.

no replacement for displacement, unless you have a HUGE FUCKING TURBO. lol.
more air, more fuel, more flow = more power/tq
but TUNING IS KEY. narrows it down for the most part.

You know I thought that way too. But I have classes like Baja/F1 where we build scale race cars and compete against other schools. I mean how can you beat that? I get to build cars for school. There is some shit that I just dont want to learn or feel the need to. But what do I know I am not the teacher.

Well what if you take the 1.8 and make it into the 2.1(more displacement) then put the bigger turbo?(gt3078r, its in the works. Lets see if student loans will fund it lol.)

All I need to do is learn the tuning aspect, then I feel I will have a very good grasp on the VW. I have the necessary tools, just not the know how yet.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 AM
da dragva kokopelli

You know I thought that way too. But I have classes like Baja/F1 where we build scale race cars and compete against other schools. I mean how can you beat that? I get to build cars for school. There is some shit that I just dont want to learn or feel the need to. But what do I know I am not the teacher.

Well what if you take the 1.8 and make it into the 2.1(more displacement) then put the bigger turbo?(gt3078r, its in the works. Lets see if student loans will fund it lol.)

All I need to do is learn the tuning aspect, then I feel I will have a very good grasp on the VW. I have the necessary tools, just not the know how yet.
well my views on this are still wacked out because i have only truly seen one or 2 fast vws. one was a 3.0 liter vr6 turbo if i recall correctly, the other was a built vr6 turbo in a light ass vw. neither of which were godly fast, just faster than any other vw i have ever seen.(even on the internetz).

the bigger the bore, the more room for boost you are adding (if im thinking of this the right way), boost adds compression so to speak. its kind of like making up for lower compression with the added air from the turbo charger. thus resulting in power gains. im sure you grasp that concept already.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 AM
green box is back!

Originally Posted by nagger
well my views on this are still wacked out because i have only truly seen one or 2 fast vws. one was a 3.0 liter vr6 turbo if i recall correctly, the other was a built vr6 turbo in a light ass vw. neither of which were godly fast, just faster than any other vw i have ever seen.(even on the internetz).

the bigger the bore, the more room for boost you are adding (if im thinking of this the right way), boost adds compression so to speak. its kind of like making up for lower compression with the added air from the turbo charger. thus resulting in power gains. im sure you grasp that concept already.
Well with the 2.1 I am running 9:1 compression. I am not saying my car is fast in any way. But relative to VW's I am doing big things lol.(well when I can actually buy the BT) And the forced induction is the addition of compression, hence low compression for non n/a cars.

I am running an ABA 2.0 bottom end bored out, and a 1.8 head. Ported, Polished, ti valve springs, retaniers, new valves, ect. Plenty of work done to support a BT. The biggest issue is traction, wheel hop, and torque steer. All of these have fixes to a certian extent, but no real feasible fixes. So I will just take what I have and have fun. lol

Last edited by DonVizMe; 03-23-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:21 AM
da dragva kokopelli

you aint telling me nothing about traction lol i owned a 400+ hp daily driven civic. i know what spinning on the interstate/unwanted lane changes if not ready for it was all about. haha

gl with the build post up when its done, always awesome for someone to get me to say "damn thats a nice/fast VW." haha.

but im heading to bed its fucking late, and im surprised im awake now.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

no....3 inch exhaust is pointless except for boosted and v8 apps.....
Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 PM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini

Good article:
http://www.team-integra.net/sections...sp?ArticleID=2
Old 03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

jdm h22a civic has a spectacular aura aboutjdm h22a civic has a spectacular aura aboutjdm h22a civic has a spectacular aura about

i ran a 2.5 inch on my h22 civic and it made plenty of power. if you want a run down of what i had on it and what i tuned it with and what it dynoed at let me know.

Quick Reply: What yall think of 3in exhaust on a h22