Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Whats the Difference between 4WD and AWD?

Old 06-23-2004, 04:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c1t1d1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whats the Difference between 4WD and AWD?

The different is AWD provide power to the wheels that slip for better traction. 4WD has all 4 wheels powered at the same time, equal to all tires no matter the condition. AWD if one tire slips it shifts more power to the wheel that is not slipping.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:02 AM
Back for more

GodsOther is an unknown quantity at this point

Close,

AWD = AWD setups are full time systems for year-round driving. Most use a viscous fluid coupling (Similaro to a torque converter) center differential instead of a transfer case to route drive torque to all four wheels. This allows the front and rear wheels to turn at slightly different speeds when turning on dry pavement. Because of the way it works (AWD) is a slightly degraded version of 4WD because all 4 wheels can NOT be locked at any given time, generally the most that can is 3 wheels in some cases only 2 wheels (1 front 1 rear)

4WD = The vehicle is constantly providing power to all four wheels via a mechanical coupling (i.e. locked), usually with power being shifted between the front and rear axles as needed. This provides maximum traction in both dry and slippery driving conditions but is very poor for on-road driving.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

i think the description of 4wd and AWD must be a mainly stateside thing, in japan they refer to all of what we call "awd" cars to be 4wd..

basically 4wd/awd can be the same thing.. and there arenty maby oem cars that come equipped with mechanical lockers.. maybe land rovers?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:42 PM
A wannabe pro

Anti-rice71 has disabled reputation

i have argued this for a long time, and from my worthless knowledge that means nothing i have come up with this. AWD means that any of the wheels can be power driven when needed most of the time AWD is full time but does not mean that all the wheels are driving all the time only when they are needed. Now 4wd does not mean that all wheels drive either at the same time, 4wd has to be locked in there is a seperat total drive train for each set of wheels that can be bypassed which is not the case for AWD. when u have a truck in 4wd the front wheels are not driving as fast as the rear yet they are only there to give u pulling power that is why it is not good to drive on dry pact surfaces with 4wd. now days AWD is computerized also so that is a big difference and the driver has no control.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:44 PM
A wannabe pro

Anti-rice71 has disabled reputation

most 4wd vehicles only run 2 wheels at a time, for example front left and right rear, watch a toca make a run through the mud u will notice it.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:18 PM
Boosted F2B

99EJ6T is an unknown quantity at this point

awd= all wheel drive/driving, power is the same to all wheels unless one slips then power is transfered to any of the other tires

4wd= 4 wheel driving, power is not the same to all wheels and it doesn't transfer front to rear or vise versa just left to right
Old 06-28-2004, 05:26 AM
Quit your Bitchin...

diggum has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by vmspionage
4WD just doesn't sound right for a car. When you see 4WD you think of off-roading and such. AWD sounds like something for safety in the rain. FWD means gas milage and RWD means real performance. Class dismissed.
Ummm, no. AWD is continous "all wheel drive". 4WD is selective unless it's "contunious" 4WD which in that case it would be AWD. See...I can "select" 4 high on my jeep and drive around in 4WD which would make me AWD...but I can't do that in a VW R32, Audi A4 Quattro, Lancer Evo or a Sooby WRX...which means 4WD is "SELECTIVE" and AWD is continous 4WD. Got it...good cause I think I just heard the school bell...NOW class is dismissed.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:29 AM
Quit your Bitchin...

Originally Posted by Anti-rice71
most 4wd vehicles only run 2 wheels at a time, for example front left and right rear, watch a toca make a run through the mud u will notice it.
And again...if you don't know WTF you're talking about...don't post. I guess since I only have one front left and one right rear tire turning when I drop my jeep into 4 high or 4 low...I shouldn't be able to leave 4 tire marks in the pavement huh?
Old 06-28-2004, 05:30 AM
Quit your Bitchin...

Originally Posted by Moriar
beach, my 01 highlander does not come with a shifter to change from 4wd to 2wd or nething its jus all time 4wheel
Then it would be "AWD". Imagine that.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:35 AM
Quit your Bitchin...

Originally Posted by Anti-rice71
when u have a truck in 4wd the front wheels are not driving as fast as the rear yet they are only there to give u pulling power that is why it is not good to drive on dry pact surfaces with 4wd. now days AWD is computerized also so that is a big difference and the driver has no control.
Wrong...you can drive any 4 wheel drive vehicle on the road at 55mph in 4 high depending on the gearing. How many of you that are trying to educate and post about 4 wheel drive trucks or AWD cars actually have a clue as to how they operate or own one or have ever owned one? Obviously not many.