Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Why does the oil light flash? rebuilt sleeved gsr

Old 10-31-2008, 05:44 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Why does the oil light flash? rebuilt sleeved gsr

[QUOTE=

sounds like low oil pressure...get a real guage and put on it and dont rely on the idiot light...[/QUOTE]

said that already...thats where you need to go first...see what the oil pressure really is...
Old 10-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
Should be holding the mile reset button with the key at position 2 for 30 seconds or some shit then starting the car. Should be in the manual. Like I said, just making sure you aren't overlooking something simple, although that should come on right away, not 30 seconds later.
Thats the maint light that re-sets that way.

Blinking oil light=temp loss of pressure.
Would have thought that the new sender would have fixed it with the new motor......
You aren't using a fram filter by any chance are you?
Good Luck
Dan

Last edited by accuracy1; 10-31-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned

b16bomber b16bomber b16bomber b16bomber

weve checked the wire everything looks ok, i think he needs a oil pressure gauge to start i agree, btw accuracy i need my b20 turbo tuned this week, let me know a price asap, thanks people
Old 10-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1 accuracy1

Shad charges $400 for the tuning, just give him a call at the shop next week if you want to set somthing up.
548-9227
Dan
Old 10-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Banned

b16bomber b16bomber b16bomber b16bomber

ive heard good things about him, thanks i will
Old 10-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If it takes 30 sec for the light to come on, that says one of two things in my mind:

1) Whatever is monitoring the pressure has a timer or waits until it has 30 seconds worth of low pressure samples. This could mean a wiring issue too. If it sees low pressure it doesn't care why it does, just that it does.

2) The pressure is right on the threshold and it takes 30 seconds to raise the temp enough to drop below the threshold.

Either way, there is only one course of action on this, or else you'll be blindly guessing as to what is really going on:

Put a gauge on it and see if what you are seeing is actually true. Even a cheap gauge can save you from a very expensive failure.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-31-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

b16acrx1988 has disabled reputation

had the same problem on an ls-vtec da check the sensor and make sure it isn't loose and like others have posted get an oil pres. gauge and make sure the press. is correct..... Mine would do it intermittently, like you are saying then go off once it got warm. Most likely harmless, but could be major.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Originally Posted by accuracy1
Thats the maint light that re-sets that way.

You are right, wasn't thinking straight. Carry on and good luck.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If it takes 30 sec for the light to come on, that says one of two things in my mind:

1) Whatever is monitoring the pressure has a timer or waits until it has 30 seconds worth of low pressure samples. This could mean a wiring issue too. If it sees low pressure it doesn't care why it does, just that it does.

2) The pressure is right on the threshold and it takes 30 seconds to raise the temp enough to drop below the threshold.

Either way, there is only one course of action on this, or else you'll be blindly guessing as to what is really going on:

Put a gauge on it and see if what you are seeing is actually true. Even a cheap gauge can save you from a very expensive failure.
Do us all a favor, and listen to this guy!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 AM
TiM-MaY!

coolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the roughcoolva is a jewel in the rough

From what you are describing it sounds like it could be a wire with some insulation worn off near something hot... (exhaust, head, etc) that is grounding out. That or your oil pressure switch wire is loose and making an inconsistent connection. If you have changed the oil and saw nothing out of the ordinary I would almost bet there is something going on with wiring. Also, at 7PSI or less, the hydraulic followers are not even seeing 7PSI therefore will be extremely noisy... If there was a new oil pump installed, and you don't hear any knocking from the bottom end, I think your friend is having some other issues than with the engine it self... I know how it is from a shops view when people call them and they know its not related to something they did. The customer is expecting to find out it is something the shop did. If it wasn't then the shop shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistake. I personally can say this has happened several times to myself. Unless the shop installed it, you cant expect them to take the blame for anything that goes wrong.

Quick Reply: Why does the oil light flash? rebuilt sleeved gsr