Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

wrx doesnt start sometimes

Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts
Default Re: wrx doesnt start sometimes

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That tells me that the pump is most likely not the problem.
Thinking about it I did drive it without letting it warm up, lag wasnt really bad but i noticed it. Lag Hasnt happend since that incident because I give it about 3 minutes before driving.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

Ok guys i got the subaru dealership to fax me the maintenance that was done, they said they replaced only "what needed to replaced/ was in bad condition". So they did oil change/filter, transmission fluid, and front rotors. The starting issue hasn't happened since last week but i can just feel that its going to happen again. Where should i start ? spark plugs, and fuel pump? Any advice ? What other maintenance should i do ? The car has has 60xxx
Old 02-08-2012, 03:30 AM
Banned

hey guys what are the consequences of not "gapping" the spark plugs? It seems that I forgot to get the tool. Already took the current spark plugs off, am ready to install new. Also my torque wrench is to biig to fit in the small gap I am given to tighten the spark plug, what are the consequences of not using a torque wrench to tighten the plugs? Anyone ignored gappy and using a torque wrench before? Someone please help asap, im sitting here with no ride to advanced auto lol I figured i'd put them on now ungapped and uncorrectly torqued to go get the correct tools but i'd like to know what im dealing with. Thank you
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yep, tool clearance is a real pain in the ass on that engine. The spark plug torque is pretty low, so you're safe doing it by hand if you use common sense. I use a little stubby ratchet handle for that because it handicaps the amount of torque you can put on the plugs. With a hole that diameter, you have to put a pretty decent amount of torque to damage the threads, which is nearly impossible with a short ratchet and limited space. Yes, I've seen people strip plug holes in many different engines but it's much easier to do with a big wrench and lots of room to be a gorilla. Use some anti-sieze on the plug threads, you'll thank yourself later.

I usually check the gap when I get the plugs, and it's usually pretty damn close if you're getting the OEM replacement plugs from NGK or whoever makes them.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Banned

Yep, tool clearance is a real pain in the ass on that engine. The spark plug torque is pretty low, so you're safe doing it by hand if you use common sense. I use a little stubby ratchet handle for that because it handicaps the amount of torque you can put on the plugs. With a hole that diameter, you have to put a pretty decent amount of torque to damage the threads, which is nearly impossible with a short ratchet and limited space. Yes, I've seen people strip plug holes in many different engines but it's much easier to do with a big wrench and lots of room to be a gorilla. Use some anti-sieze on the plug threads, you'll thank yourself later.

I usually check the gap when I get the plugs, and it's usually pretty damn close if you're getting the OEM replacement plugs from NGK or whoever makes them.
Im sure the NGK are oem replacements, so would it already come pregapped for my model ?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by twinturbomeow
Im sure the NGK are oem replacements, so would it already come pregapped for my model ?
It should, yeah. Regardless, it's going to be close enough that you can feel confident putting them in without any problems until you can verify that the gap is correct. It's like anything else; don't beat on the engine unless you're confident that the engine is in proper condition to be beat on.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Banned

It should, yeah. Regardless, it's going to be close enough that you can feel confident putting them in without any problems until you can verify that the gap is correct. It's like anything else; don't beat on the engine unless you're confident that the engine is in proper condition to be beat on.
cant remember the brand i purchased but installed them, started good. Runs GREAT and better then before, except at idle i feel like the engine is twitching and idle dropped to like 200 a few times. check engine light was blinking, you think i shuold pull them out and properly gap them ?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by twinturbomeow
cant remember the brand i purchased but installed them, started good. Runs GREAT and better then before, except at idle i feel like the engine is twitching and idle dropped to like 200 a few times. check engine light was blinking, you think i shuold pull them out and properly gap them ?
Yeah, definitely check them when you get a chance. You might want to find out what CEL that is also, just to find out if it's something other than a misfire code.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Banned

will do and get back to you in a few hours thankks
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Banned

heres what the "oem raplacement" plugs were set at gapwise 35,20,40,less then 20(didnt even fit on the tool)

Quick Reply: wrx doesnt start sometimes