Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

wrx doesnt start sometimes

Old 02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Racetracks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: wrx doesnt start sometimes

Wow. Yeah, you should fix that.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

The idle air control motors on the early cars suck, have a tendency to respond slow with age(dirt/gunk etc). If the car is idling low, try lightly tapping on the idle air motor(with a screw driver handle or something similar) and see if the idle changes. It's on the top of the throttle body.

The flashing check engine light is a misfire, also for your hard start issue check all your vacuum lines and couplers. A small air leak after the meter can effect startup among other things but usually will result in a higher idle. The car still has a factory bypass/bov right?

Last edited by JETSWU87; 02-08-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by JETSWU87
The idle air control motors on the early cars suck, have a tendency to respond slow with age(dirt/gunk etc). If the car is idling low, try lightly tapping on the idle air motor(with a screw driver handle or something similar) and see if the idle changes. It's on the top of the throttle body.

The flashing check engine light is a misfire, also for your hard start issue check all your vacuum lines and couplers. A small air leak after the meter can effect startup among other things but usually will result in a higher idle. The car still has a factory bypass/bov right?
yes factory everything except a sti muffler.. so changed the spark plugs to correct gap and car runs fantastic now, but still having the idle drop issue what else can i check?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87

Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

is there a way to clean this out ? or would i have to replace it ? if it is causing the issue..
Old 02-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Originally Posted by WaYtOoLoW
i work at a subaru dealership, have them check the ect, (engine coolant temp sensor) if it's telling the computer its real cold when its not its going to give it too much fuel and it won't allow it to run. the 60k service don't have many items on it that cann affect the way it runs too much, maybe spark plugs and fuel filter and plug wires? idk the other guy gets all the services, but i doubt that has anything to do with it. let them know what it's doing, they may need to keep it overnight for a few nights until it screws up to find out what it is, its hard to find a problem when the problem isn't happening, unless it stores a code.
If you work at a subaru dealership, you would know WRX's do not have plug wires...

Originally Posted by twinturbomeow
Im sure the NGK are oem replacements, so would it already come pregapped for my model ?
Normally. The factory WRX plug is NGK Platinum PFR6G gapped to .030"
Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Banned

Hey guys bringing this thread back from the dead because today I had a rough start.. Took about 2-3 seconds after turning the key to start for it to actually start. Has been running good since I put on the spark plugs, idle dropping to 100 every now and then only when I start the car. Before installing the s plugs the idle used to drop almost every time i put it in nuetral. So the first thing im going to check is the sensor mentioned above^.Took a look at it last night and looks like it'll take longer then I thought to remove it, has a few sensor plugs going into it and a hose. So will have to do this friday, Anything else I can check that could cause the idle issues ?

Mods:

sti muffler

I also put on a sti y pipe to the TMIC(yesterday)

Changed oil yesterday w/ Mobil 1 S(Advance auto has 5 quarts w/ filter for 32.99 right now so take advantage of this if you use mobil 1 S) but couldnt get the dam filter off cuz the dealership put it on so tight so ill have to get the tool for it from advance auto.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

gameoverr96 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by twinturbomeow
Im sure the NGK are oem replacements, so would it already come pregapped for my model ?
they say they are already pregapped but its always a good habit to check anyway because you could get 1 thats waaayyy off like i had on a brand new pack a few days ago