Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Y8 swap into '94 del Sol. ECU not getting power

Old 12-12-2009, 08:02 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default Y8 swap into '94 del Sol. ECU not getting power

Okay guys here's the situation. I removed the B7 from my del Sol and replaced it with a new Y8. I switched the intake manifold (Skunk2) and I have the B7 distributor on it as well. I'm obviously using the B7 harness, everything is connected (I just did a Z6 swap on my Dad's hatch) where it's supposed to be. Mind you this car ran just fine before I swapped the motor. I took the harness off and re-wrapped a few things but nothing too serious.

Now the swap is installed and everything's connected but I've got no power to the ECU. The CEL doesn't even turn on when I turn the key to "on" no pump priming or anything. I found this strange as it worked just fine and I drove it into the spot that it's in on the driveway now. I've double checked my grounds and all are tight and where they're supposed to be. If I can't figure it out I'm just going to find another harness to replace this one with, preferably a vtec one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Reef tank addict

phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber
Default Re: Y8 swap into '94 del Sol. ECU not getting power

check relays/fuses/battery connections?

check to make sure no wires came out of a connector after u wrapped everything?

are you sure the b7 and y8 harness is compatible? its been a while since ive messed with d series...but del sol's were obd1, not obd2, right?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:18 AM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

Originally Posted by phyber
check relays/fuses/battery connections?

check to make sure no wires came out of a connector after u wrapped everything?

are you sure the b7 and y8 harness is compatible? its been a while since ive messed with d series...but del sol's were obd1, not obd2, right?
ECU 15amp fuse in the engine bay is getting voltage but the ECU isn't powering up. Now, the roof of this car does leak and there's moisture building up inside. Could this have effected the relay that sends power to the ECU? Everything else in the car works, windows etc.

del Sol's came OBD1 and OBD2 but the harness on this car is OBD1, the Y8s harness isn't used as it's for an EK chassis.

No wires came out of any of the connectors, I think it might be the "main relay" I keep hearing about, not sure what it controls. I thought if it's the main relay nothing works at all, but I could be wrong about that.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:57 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Anyone else?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 AM
certified asshole

crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi

Recheck all your grounds, clean them with sand paper or if you have air tools use a scotch pad(it works wonders), mainly check and recheck the ground on the thermostat housing as this is the ground for the ecu. Check continuity of the ecu grounds that will tell you everything and make sure your getting power to both 12v ecu pins. Yes, the moisture can affect electrical componets, it will start to corrode connections, causing bad connections. If you was in the 540 area I would assist.

Need any more help PM me.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Originally Posted by ProbeGT-ZE
Okay guys here's the situation. I removed the B7 from my del Sol and replaced it with a new Y8. I switched the intake manifold (Skunk2) and I have the B7 distributor on it as well. I'm obviously using the B7 harness, everything is connected (I just did a Z6 swap on my Dad's hatch) where it's supposed to be. Mind you this car ran just fine before I swapped the motor. I took the harness off and re-wrapped a few things but nothing too serious.

Now the swap is installed and everything's connected but I've got no power to the ECU. The CEL doesn't even turn on when I turn the key to "on" no pump priming or anything. I found this strange as it worked just fine and I drove it into the spot that it's in on the driveway now. I've double checked my grounds and all are tight and where they're supposed to be. If I can't figure it out I'm just going to find another harness to replace this one with, preferably a vtec one.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.
POP the cel light bulb with a hot needle/ thread
Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

fstdc2 has disabled reputation

just had same problem it all turned out to be after market alarm system. If i were u i would check the main relay its a gray box with a connector going to it, it is right near the fuse box try that