Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anyone know how to get really bad bug guts off a car

Old 06-08-2004, 07:55 AM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Anyone know how to get really bad bug guts off a car

sure....bring money too
Old 06-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ZeRo_C0oL
Are you experienced with a clay bar? I'm really interested in trying to learn the proper way to clay my car. I want to clay it before I hit it with 100 layers of wax, but I'm afraid to try it for the first time without knowing exactly what I'm doing. I've read a million times what the proper procedure is, but reading and seeing first hand is completely different. If you don't mind, I'd like to see how you do it next time you clay your car. I'm not so much afraid that it would damage my car, just afraid of the tremendous amount of time that I don't have that I would potentially be wasting if I didn't do it right.

I was going to suggest goo gone or bug and tar remover; anything like that should at least HELP, in my opinion. Lots of elbow grease helps too.
Well those who know me on here know I’m a anal retentive bastard that researches the crap out of everything before I do it. After reading thousands of post about how to do this I did it and it cam out great.

Step 1 (optional)- Wash your car with dawn. This will strip all the wax off your car. But ever one that seems to know a lot about it says it won’t strip the clear coat off.

Step 2- wash your car with a nice car shampoo. This cleans any dawn that was left off and enriches the paint with polymers.

Step 3- dry the car

Step 4- get clay magic or Mothers California clay bar from the auto store. Using clay is very very simple. Find a place that has tar/bugs/anything above the clear coat. Spray the lube on to the spot. You have to spray a lot on there then flatten the clay bar out and rube it back and forth on the spot. You can go side to side or up and down but don’t do circles. You can usually do a foot area at a time. This will take any thing off. Some have even taken spray paint that got carried by the wend off of there car.

Step 5- After you have hit all the spots you have to wash the car again b/c the lube leaves a residue on the car. So wash it with a car shampoo.

Step 6- This part is very important. Polish then wax the entire car because even if you did not use the dawn the clay bar striped every thing above the clear coat off which means no wax is on there to protect it.

It’s very time consuming...
Old 06-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Cosmo likes to blow!

hitmanG35 is an unknown quantity at this point

hell yeah thanks richard!
Old 06-08-2004, 05:32 PM
<3FreshieFresh<3

ZeRo_C0oL is an unknown quantity at this point

Again, I've read about it plenty.... Seeing it in action and reading about it are two different things.

I know it would be awfully hard to do it wrong though..

But thanks for the write-up.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Well I don't do it very often but the next time I go to do it I will post and let you know.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:03 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

I have used bug and tar remover, as well as goo gone, and goo gone honestly doesnt work for shit... maybe on carpet?

yea clay bar.. clay bar wont remove the shit on/in my clearcoat, I have to get mine buffed...