Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Brian's EVO

Old 12-28-2008, 03:12 PM
03 evo 8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98
Default Re: Brian's EVO

i agree with what everyone has said, its a better car in everyway you can think of. it will be getting much faster than the talon was but thats thousands of dollars away. on a side note the hta86 is what i want
Old 12-28-2008, 08:48 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by brianeclipse98
i agree with what everyone has said, its a better car in everyway you can think of. it will be getting much faster than the talon was but thats thousands of dollars away. on a side note the hta86 is what i want
Though I have only made 4 pulls on it, so far not impressed with the HTA86 (vs my reg 35R). I guess the track will tell the story. We'll see. Just put an AMS 850R on a car though and that that thing is no joke!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Spooln4
Give it time he hasn't taken it to any track yet!!
True,
But the EVO is still newer, and a better made car... So it should take more abuse I assume.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:51 AM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heiss M3
True,
But the EVO is still newer, and a better made car... So it should take more abuse I assume.
That's definitely not always the case. The newer evo's still have issues with the trannies and worse the transfer cases actually will break which was not a common issue in my 2g. Don't get me wrong, if I had to choose now what to build I would love to have an evo hands down, but everything would need to be upgraded just like the older dsm's if you want to make semi reliable power above 500whp, it's just the nature of the beast.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah that's understandable, it just seems like they're holding together more than most of the older DSMs are - and some of it is due to the age of the actual parts, which does play a role.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

They are holding together because Evo owners actually spend money. DSM owners don't spend money and let their shit fall to pieces instead of fixing problems. Their problems compound and cause other problems. Evos are quite a bit more idiot proof than DSMs somehow it seems.

I wouldn't say any part of an Evo is better made than a DSM. It all comes from the same parts bin. Same strength, same quality.

I wouldn't call the stuff breaking problems either. I don't know why breakage is accepted from all other brands but when a Mitsu breaks making 700whp people call it junk. Show me a car that doesn't need a drivetrain upgrade at that power level? Hell, $3000 rear end is like the 2nd mod for a F-body, but people don't whine half as bad as people whine about DSM trannies. DSM guys just keep throwing in junkyard trannies they buy off some kid in a dorm room for $100 and expect 20 year old parts to hold up to a relentless assault of idiot driving. When you properly build a DSM they do not have major breakage unless you are over 1000whp.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:03 PM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
They are holding together because Evo owners actually spend money. DSM owners don't spend money and let their shit fall to pieces instead of fixing problems. Their problems compound and cause other problems. Evos are quite a bit more idiot proof than DSMs somehow it seems.

I wouldn't say any part of an Evo is better made than a DSM. It all comes from the same parts bin. Same strength, same quality.

I wouldn't call the stuff breaking problems either. I don't know why breakage is accepted from all other brands but when a Mitsu breaks making 700whp people call it junk. Show me a car that doesn't need a drivetrain upgrade at that power level? Hell, $3000 rear end is like the 2nd mod for a F-body, but people don't whine half as bad as people whine about DSM trannies. DSM guys just keep throwing in junkyard trannies they buy off some kid in a dorm room for $100 and expect 20 year old parts to hold up to a relentless assault of idiot driving. When you properly build a DSM they do not have major breakage unless you are over 1000whp.
Very true, they do have a horrible reputation. You can blame that on the now very cheap affordable platform for teenagers without the funds to mod a car properly, so they are ghetto modded to death. Wait till the SRT-4 neon's start becoming very affordable, I'm sure it will take a similar path.

You could also blame it on the crankwalk issues of the 7-bolt motors that plagued that year. I think this immediately brought negative attention to the 2g's but yet a small percentage of cars actually walked. And if they did, it wasn't necessarily a big deal because the owner was more than likely going to swap a 6-bolt in eventually anyway. Many do not realize that just about any motor can crankwalk if built improperly.

The Evo's are definitely better made, or at least better engineered is the way to put it. While the 1g motor is stout and is proven to make power, the new evo 7-bolt is very efficient. Stock turbo evo's easily making 400+whp is insane.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Certified Asshole

TALONted93 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
Though I have only made 4 pulls on it, so far not impressed with the HTA86 (vs my reg 35R). I guess the track will tell the story. We'll see. Just put an AMS 850R on a car though and that that thing is no joke!
my buddy just built a evo 9 with the 850r on it and omg that sucker was fast love driving that car it also had a 2.3 stroker motor and put down 770whp on race gas and a mild tune(ran out of fuel)
Old 12-30-2008, 10:38 PM
03 evo 8

brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98 brianeclipse98

Originally Posted by TALONted93
my buddy just built a evo 9 with the 850r on it and omg that sucker was fast love driving that car it also had a 2.3 stroker motor and put down 770whp on race gas and a mild tune(ran out of fuel)
and not any laggier than the 37r i have now

Last edited by brianeclipse98; 01-03-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Capitalist Pig

wat

Quick Reply: Brian's EVO