Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Cadillac XLR

Old 01-08-2006 | 05:19 AM
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: Cadillac XLR

Originally Posted by silvcobra
I've never been in or seen a Cadillac that wasn't a pos. Then try working on one. They're just not made with good quality standards and that would be okay if they were cheap, but 60k+ is insane when you consider other luxury cars in that price range. I'm not just a Ford guy, I like a little bit of everything including Corvettes and Vipers.
Have you ever driven one though? If I had to pick a vehicle for a long trip, I'm pretty confident that I would want to drive a Deville or something of the like... I do agree that the prices are pretty crazy, but I think Cadillac's are amazing cars in most aspects that I would consider them in. The Northstar powerplant is impressive in itself.. in the Deville, you step on the gas and the big boat comes to life. I'm not saying it's got the power of a Mercedes CL-600 by any means, but I never expected it to have that much torque, or to plant me in my seat the way it did. I also really liked the interior; The wood grain, the seats are incredibly comfortable and IIRC they were powered and heated, pretty impressive factory stereo and all the electronics were relatively handy.. but most of all, the suspension. Literally riding on air. It's like you're just gliding through the air. You can probably feel every pot hole in your car, and in mine, but in that Deville--whew.. The road couldn't be smoother. All in all, I know they're known for expensive services, for being hard to work on, and for being "old peoples cars," but I would drive one any day if it were given to me. I've test driven a few before.

The XLR is a completely different story. I don't know anything about the quality of the car, much of anything about the performance of specs of it.. but I saw that XLR on the road and my attention focused solely on that car. It's so low to the ground and the roof line is so low.. just the stance of it is cool because you don't see Cadillac's like that every day. You don't see cars that look like that, in any way shape or form, every day around Roanoke. The lines on it are ugly, but at the same time, I love it because there's nothing else like it IMO. It looks completely different to me driving down the road than it does in a picture just sitting there.

We all have different tastes in cars though.. so I respect your different opinions. I think they're great cars to own for multiple reasons, but I've never tried to work on one and I've never owned one to have to take it to the shop all the time.. so I don't know what ownership would be like.. but if I got one for free, I can tell you I would honestly not sell it.
Old 01-08-2006 | 05:36 AM
jarnett photography

akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei

I think they look amazing, everytime I see one it's the type of car that snaps your head to attention as it goes by. There is a silver one in town here too some older lady drives.
Old 01-08-2006 | 05:50 AM
Registered Member

Bobslowk24 is an unknown quantity at this point

some 1 right down the street from me has a red one. i love it
Old 01-08-2006 | 08:06 AM
Registered Member

silvcobra has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Have you ever driven one though? If I had to pick a vehicle for a long trip, I'm pretty confident that I would want to drive a Deville or something of the like...

The XLR is a completely different story. I don't know anything about the quality of the car...
Yes, I have driven both new and old ones. They LOOK good, the interior LOOKs nice, but wait till you get a few miles on the car. Things go wrong such as one of the 20 million electronic devices start giving problems and/or the engine starts making noise and burning oil. Most mechanics will charge a fortune to work on the cars because of the big labor hours required usually attributed to the dumb ways GM goes about putting things together.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't be single-ing out Cadillac. Aside from cars like the Corvette, Grand National, and maybe a couple others, I think GM has been headed down hill since the end of the 60s. And why does it seem to be so hard to get a GM sports car with a straight drive?
Old 01-08-2006 | 09:53 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

I have seen the one at Berglund, and man, I think those things look MEAN..

lean/low/stretched out lookin..

I love it..