Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Canon Powershot S3IS

Old 03-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Nada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
str8jakett will become famous soon enough
Default Canon Powershot S3IS

Somebody please tell me why I dick up every picture I take with this thing. I don't know enough about cameras to figure out what settings I need for what picture. I just took 33 pictures trying random settings to see if I can figure this shit out. Every one of them turned out grainy. The sun was going down, so too late to try it again today. I suck.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canon Powershot S3IS

I have no clue, thats why I have a point 'n shoot on auto..
Old 03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Clean Freak.

Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean Keepin it Klean

if you're in manual, lower the iso to around 100-200, that's why its grainy.

keep playing with settings in manual, read a bit about camera settings, and get a tripod.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Kim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud of

1) p mode
2) iso never higher than 200
3) highest quality
4) highest resolution
5) adjust white balance
Old 03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

MVaughn is on a distinguished road

Are you using the "digital zoom" during the shots? Most cameras now have digital zoom and optical zoom. Turn off the digital zoom mode and only use the optical if it has one. Optical zoom is when the lens moves in and out.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I just checked. It has both. Turn off the digital zoom. They are worthless for the most part. I have a canon rebel xt which is roughly twice the price and it can take some getting used to. Put the camera in full auto and make sure the digital zoom is turned off which will be in the options. Let me know what you find out.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Nada

Originally Posted by MVaughn
I just checked. It has both. Turn off the digital zoom. They are worthless for the most part. I have a canon rebel xt which is roughly twice the price and it can take some getting used to. Put the camera in full auto and make sure the digital zoom is turned off which will be in the options. Let me know what you find out.
Hey thanks for the tip, I went to check the digital zoom and found it it was actually turned off already. I had been taking other peoples suggestions and played with the ISO, and this is the end result:

Much, much better, but I still have a lot to learn. I need a better place to take photos for starters. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ryan
Old 03-17-2007, 05:46 AM
Nada

BTW, playing around a little with the super macro mode....

Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Looks alot better. One thing to keep in mind that when you use a higher iso like you were doing it can create alot of noise (no definition) to the picture. Make sure you hold the camera really still like I am sure you are already doing. This will matter alot more when you use the zoom. Canon is one of the best camera makers out there. I am on my second one now. If I can help you let me know.

Michael
Old 03-17-2007, 01:06 PM
FTW

GuNnErgOd is an unknown quantity at this point

for cannon cameras.

Quick Reply: Canon Powershot S3IS