Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

CCW time...

Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: CCW time...

Originally Posted by VanillaThrilla
How weird... It's a shame knowing the system would probably fail me if I defended myself with a violent outcome. I don't know what ended up happening to the clerk at the Sanco drug store, but I remember he was being charged for shooting and killing a robber out of self defense.

You can't rely on the system to work for you.
if i'm not mistaken,they cleared him of that,deciding it was self defense.
i also,for the longest time,was wondering how a set of wheels would have saved that woman from being carjacked.
Chris
Old 01-31-2009, 10:01 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by TNGChris
if i'm not mistaken,they cleared him of that,deciding it was self defense.
i also,for the longest time,was wondering how a set of wheels would have saved that woman from being carjacked.
Chris
They did? That's good to hear. I just feel like there's no true consistent system of punishment or judgement. I've been thinking a lot about law school recently.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

They did? That's good to hear. I just feel like there's no true consistent system of punishment or judgement. I've been thinking a lot about law school recently.
the issue is that there's just so many variables that it'd be hard to have a cut and dry law....it does seem,though,that the law usually favors the criminal/person that initiated the conflict,which is a shame.....
let's all move to Texas-shoot people in the back if they come on your property,then just call the cops to come clean up.
Chris
Old 01-31-2009, 10:15 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by TNGChris
the issue is that there's just so many variables that it'd be hard to have a cut and dry law....it does seem,though,that the law usually favors the criminal/person that initiated the conflict,which is a shame.....
let's all move to Texas-shoot people in the back if they come on your property,then just call the cops to come clean up.
Chris
That's not exactly what I meant, but I agree in general...

I guess my problem is the priorities in the eyes of the law. This is not specifically about my situation, but there was a heroin dealer in front of me at the arraignment and the commonwealth attorney advised he did not even need a court appointed attorney because there was no risk of jail time for his first offense DEALING HEROIN! I work with two people who have gotten out of multiple DUI's with a cheap attorney, as most people do. Why do we spend money advertising how seriously they take drunk driving if they're going to let everyone go until they end up killing someone, at which point they take it seriously!?! Why are hard drugs not a serious offense? I just think our judicial system is bass ackwards.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Either you have the facts of the case wrong or the CA was tricking the guy. Possesion of heroin with intent to distibute, sell, or manufacture is 5 to 40 years on your first offense and a fine up to 500k in VA. Up to life on your second offense.

On the DUI, if the cops and state do their jobs right, the people don't get off. The intoxilyzer 5000 is a joke. Breath tests in general are garbage.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Registered member

AW11inVA has disabled reputation

How weird... It's a shame knowing the system would probably fail me if I defended myself with a violent outcome. I don't know what ended up happening to the clerk at the Sanco drug store, but I remember he was being charged for shooting and killing a robber out of self defense.

You can't rely on the system to work for you.
Maybe but it is better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.....
Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Honda

OQOQOQO has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by AW11inVA
Maybe but it is better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6.....

agreed! also have a good reason and a way to defend yourself as far as what ammo you use in your ccw. i read in a magazine that people defending theirselves with "personal protection ammo" have been tried as murderers because the bullets are intended to "kill" as opposed to a target load like they are just causing flesh wounds....its ridiculous, and it's not the police forces job to protect us individually...but when someone ends up having to use the gun for self defense, it's somehow their fault for being attacked and warding off assailant. i'll never understand.u can only walk away from so much...after that...grab the gat.haha jk
Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OQOQOQO
agreed! also have a good reason and a way to defend yourself as far as what ammo you use in your ccw. i read in a magazine that people defending theirselves with "personal protection ammo" have been tried as murderers because the bullets are intended to "kill" as opposed to a target load like they are just causing flesh wounds....its ridiculous, and it's not the police forces job to protect us individually...but when someone ends up having to use the gun for self defense, it's somehow their fault for being attacked and warding off assailant. i'll never understand.u can only walk away from so much...after that...grab the gat.haha jk
Not really a valid argument, the person that magazine referred to must have had a crappy lawyer.

1) Hollow point self defense ammo lessens the chance of over penetration and wounding innocent bystanders.
2) The point of a handgun, in a situation that warrants such use, is to stop the assailant from gravely harming you or others as quickly as possible; why wouldn't you choose the most effective round for this purpose?

Actually, using the argument that you chose target rounds to show your "humaneness" could be used against you as it could point to the fact that since you only intended flesh wounds, and not the appropriate force needed to stop an assailant, then you weren't in a situation that warranted grave force in the first place and the shooting was unnecessary and bad judgment.

Of course, the first rule is to avoid any confrontations or situations that would require the use of a handgun in the first place. Any CHP holder SHOULD know this. Being alert and avoidance if possible is the main goal.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Honda

OQOQOQO has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by GaRn
Not really a valid argument, the person that magazine referred to must have had a crappy lawyer.

1) Hollow point self defense ammo lessens the chance of over penetration and wounding innocent bystanders.
2) The point of a handgun, in a situation that warrants such use, is to stop the assailant from gravely harming you or others as quickly as possible; why wouldn't you choose the most effective round for this purpose?

Actually, using the argument that you chose target rounds to show your "humaneness" could be used against you as it could point to the fact that since you only intended flesh wounds, and not the appropriate force needed to stop an assailant, then you weren't in a situation that warranted grave force in the first place and the shooting was unnecessary and bad judgment.

Of course, the first rule is to avoid any confrontations or situations that would require the use of a handgun in the first place. Any CHP holder SHOULD know this. Being alert and avoidance if possible is the main goal.
point proven...thank you.... either way works for them to their advantage...either way you will get shafted by the man