Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

computer help

Old 05-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Ivy Tadita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough
Default Re: computer help

What size psu do you have. My geforce has a power input to plug in the card so a 350w psu was not contributing to all my shit very well. That is why I had problems with it. nevertheless the pc was never freezing up, but merely it just kept rebooting. I do not know for sure but I do not believe ati uses an additional powesource that the mobo can't supply.

I still vote on it being the video card. I do not believe it is the ram on the card. Even if it is you would still need to replace the whole card. It sounds more like the processor on the card. Make sure you have proper cooling in your case as well. That will make video cards freak out.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

It is definitely an overheating problem, be it video card or CPU..

most likely CPU related, on my personal setup when my video card GPU overheats the whole PC locks up(its overclocked :\ )

It could also be a memory problem, what do you have your memory settings at? either you are running them at to high of a speed of your CL is set to low, I doubt its one of these though b/c usually you can't even run windows stable in this case..
Old 05-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

moooopar is an unknown quantity at this point

2 case fans pulling out, 2 case fans pushing in, stock cpu fan on p4 2.8 prescott socket 478. I just did some reading on the prescotts and they run hot to start with. I am using a program called speed fan and it monitors temps and rpms and the cpu temp is running at 60c at idle so I played a game for like 20 mins and it didn't change. I think I will get a better cpu cooler tues. I was also thinking about a power supply. I have a raidmax 420w. AMDxp2000 suggested a larger one. Now that I think about it when I really stress this faulty pos I can hear the fans bogg a little. Where is the best place in rke to get comp parts. I bought a couple things at pcland on williamson in the past but they seem a little high.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moooopar
2 case fans pulling out, 2 case fans pushing in, stock cpu fan on p4 2.8 prescott socket 478. I just did some reading on the prescotts and they run hot to start with. I am using a program called speed fan and it monitors temps and rpms and the cpu temp is running at 60c at idle so I played a game for like 20 mins and it didn't change. I think I will get a better cpu cooler tues. I was also thinking about a power supply. I have a raidmax 420w. AMDxp2000 suggested a larger one. Now that I think about it when I really stress this faulty pos I can hear the fans bogg a little. Where is the best place in rke to get comp parts. I bought a couple things at pcland on williamson in the past but they seem a little high.
60c is frickin hot as hell for idle, I reach 60c full load OC'ed at the max!!!

Now AMD's are known to run hot, and I really don't know anything about p4's really, but that is frickin hot as shit. if its a decent 420w power supply(dunno about raidmax?) then it should be ok, but you could always try a new one.. i would knock out one thing at a time though..
Old 05-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Screw computers, I’m going to learn how to use a abacus, I’ve heard doom 3 abacus addition kicks ass...
Old 05-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

Got doom3.
WTF is a abacus?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Drag757.com Alumni

G32BTurbo G32BTurbo

www.newegg.com good deal on computer parts. i got everything to build my computer from them. im running amd64 on a lanparty mobo with single stick 1gig ram and a radeon9800 AIW powered by a 450w (i think) power supply. its all sitting in a raidmax case that has two side (intake) fans, two rear (exhaust) fans and this badboy to cool the cpu. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185115 i've had no problems.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

that's where i got all my stuff
Old 05-30-2005, 05:48 AM
Registered member

same here not THE cheapest, but close and worth it b/c of their return policy, which i have had to use
Old 05-30-2005, 06:09 AM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by GaRn
60c is frickin hot as hell for idle, I reach 60c full load OC'ed at the max!!!

Now AMD's are known to run hot, and I really don't know anything about p4's really, but that is frickin hot as shit. if its a decent 420w power supply(dunno about raidmax?) then it should be ok, but you could always try a new one.. i would knock out one thing at a time though..
That is WAY to hot....IMHO i would highly sugest getting a cooler off newegg.com a thermal take one...thats the ONLY cooling company iam with....i have used there items with extreamly good results..and iam even OC'ing and iam staying constant at 89F on ideal highest i get on a full load is 102F