Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

computer help

Old 05-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Ivy Tadita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough
Default Re: computer help

Originally Posted by G32BTurbo
www.newegg.com good deal on computer parts. i got everything to build my computer from them. im running amd64 on a lanparty mobo with single stick 1gig ram and a radeon9800 AIW powered by a 450w (i think) power supply. its all sitting in a raidmax case that has two side (intake) fans, two rear (exhaust) fans and this badboy to cool the cpu. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185115 i've had no problems.
How do you like your lanparty mobo, i've been thinking of getting one when I upgrade to a 64.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

moooopar is an unknown quantity at this point

put one of these on today and dropped to 50c. Doesn't seem like enough. Got it local for $24.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moooopar
put one of these on today and dropped to 50c. Doesn't seem like enough. Got it local for $24.
what type of heatsink compound are you using? are you applying it correctly? you wanna put a VERY think, aka paper thin, layer on..
Old 05-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

I used the white stuff that came with it and spread it on THIN. I think I need to find this silver stuff I read about all over the net.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moooopar
I used the white stuff that came with it and spread it on THIN. I think I need to find this silver stuff I read about all over the net.
alright, I mean that should be fine then, maybe that processor just naturally runs that hot?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:53 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

i have some silver artic 3...i love that shit..i droped 2c's when using it :P
Old 05-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

Does anybody in town sell it?
Old 05-31-2005, 09:37 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

i think pc land did at one point...?
Old 06-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Banned

c1t1d1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you pc only locks up when your trying to play games and no other time its not a heat issue, you said your self you were getting memory errors. Possible bad memory or you dont have enough memory physical and on the video card it self. Ide deffinetly get another fan thought. Does your video card have its own fan on it? Also try bumping up your virtual memory also. Ide add another stick of 128mb too of physical memory . I have 768 mb ram in my computer and my virtual memory is set to 2000kb. I have 12mb ram for my video card and never have any problems playing games. It just doesnt seem like a heat issue to me if its locking up only when you try to play games.

From your stats it seems like you have enough of memory , are the games compatible with your operating system. Ive had that problem with a friends computer he bought some games and when he tryed to play them it locked up, because they were not compatible. I would try taking my memory to get tested. OR if you know anyone with soeft ware you can test it your self.

Last edited by c1t1d1; 06-01-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:23 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by c1t1d1
If you pc only locks up when your trying to play games and no other time its not a heat issue, you said your self you were getting memory errors. Possible bad memory or you dont have enough memory physical and on the video card it self. Ide deffinetly get another fan thought. Does your video card have its own fan on it? Also try bumping up your virtual memory also. Ide add another stick of 128mb too of physical memory . I have 768 mb ram in my computer and my virtual memory is set to 2000kb. I have 12mb ram for my video card and never have any problems playing games. It just doesnt seem like a heat issue to me if its locking up only when you try to play games.

From your stats it seems like you have enough of memory , are the games compatible with your operating system. Ive had that problem with a friends computer he bought some games and when he tryed to play them it locked up, because they were not compatible. I would try taking my memory to get tested. OR if you know anyone with soeft ware you can test it your self.

Where are you getting your information ruling out a heat issue? It is definitely a high possibility based on my personal experience..