Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

computer help

Old 06-02-2005, 02:54 AM
It tilts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation
Default Re: computer help

Originally Posted by GaRn
Where are you getting your information ruling out a heat issue? It is definitely a high possibility based on my personal experience..

Yea...2000kb page file eqauls 2mb's i do belive...and 12mb video ram....ummm..sucks..iam running 128mb geforce 4 with no probs...i have a p4 sitting beside me on the floor running 40c overclocked...normal temp was 29cish.....my amd64 runs 30c flatlined.......Unless your running the orginal doom..good luck running the new shit with the 12mb video card
Old 06-02-2005, 04:13 AM
Banned

c1t1d1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea...2000kb page file eqauls 2mb's i do belive...and 12mb video ram....ummm..sucks..iam running 128mb geforce 4 with no probs...i have a p4 sitting beside me on the floor running 40c overclocked...normal temp was 29cish.....my amd64 runs 30c flatlined.......Unless your running the orginal doom..good luck running the new shit with the 12mb video card
To be acurate 2000kb is not 2mb there are 1024 kb and one mb and 1024mb in a gig and so on and on. If you read what he sais his stats were his vidoe card has 256mb ram, not 12mb, there is no vidoe card that has only 12mb memory on the card. its 16,32,64,128,256. So read before you talk and now what your talking about.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:23 AM
It tilts

Originally Posted by c1t1d1
If you pc only locks up when your trying to play games and no other time its not a heat issue, you said your self you were getting memory errors. Possible bad memory or you dont have enough memory physical and on the video card it self. Ide deffinetly get another fan thought. Does your video card have its own fan on it? Also try bumping up your virtual memory also. Ide add another stick of 128mb too of physical memory . I have 768 mb ram in my computer and my virtual memory is set to 2000kb. I have 12mb ram for my video card and never have any problems playing games. It just doesnt seem like a heat issue to me if its locking up only when you try to play games

From your stats it seems like you have enough of memory , are the games compatible with your operating system. Ive had that problem with a friends computer he bought some games and when he tryed to play them it locked up, because they were not compatible. I would try taking my memory to get tested. OR if you know anyone with soeft ware you can test it your self.

Ok you fucktard...i didnt say HE did...i said YOU CLAIMED to have 12mb video card..and btw..you can get video cards in 1mb range...i have 2 sitting right here..OLD server cards....and you can get a 12mb video card the voodoo series you could piggyback and if i do recall right I OWNED 12mb voodoo card...and btw..NOT everyone is as anal as to rember the exact mb into kb....

and to get anal about 2000kb = 1.953125 mb ALLMOST 2mb

Last edited by AMDxp2000; 06-02-2005 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

moooopar is an unknown quantity at this point

Yalls bitchin ain't helpin my puter.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:41 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AMDxp2000
Ok you fucktard...i didnt say HE did...i said YOU CLAIMED to have 12mb video card..and btw..you can get video cards in 1mb range...i have 2 sitting right here..OLD server cards....and you can get a 12mb video card the voodoo series you could piggyback and if i do recall right I OWNED 12mb voodoo card...and btw..NOT everyone is as anal as to rember the exact mb into kb....

and to get anal about 2000kb = 1.953125 mb ALLMOST 2mb
right on haha! I don't think anyone cares to be anal enough to correct anyone on 24KB ha.. most likely this guy is using an integrated card with shared memory(he set to 12MB via BIOS) lol.. he has room to give advice(incorrect at that!)

anyways, so you got the new heatsink and all, and its still having the problems it was before? your temps will lower gradually as the new heatsink compound burns in a bit and settles.. what do you have for intake/exhaust fans on the computer? b/c if its hot in the case, the best CPU fan/heatsink combo won't do much good!

I guess if you are still having problems then we need to do some research on that mobo or similar setups on some forums and see if there are any common quirks with it..

its kind of hard to figure this out online also though..

back on topic!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Banned

My mistake on that i didnt mean to say 12mb i have 768 mb ram. So quite meing dumn fucks its a mistake . He never going to know what is the real problem any way till he trys a bunch of things so no one is fucking right in here till he trys something.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Banned

So you never answered the question also, were the games you are playing compatible with the os youa re running and your hardware profile?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:30 AM
It tilts

Or you want some one else to fix it...take it to Rova-tech...tell them gary sent you...
Old 06-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by c1t1d1
My mistake on that i didnt mean to say 12mb i have 768 mb ram. So quite meing dumn fucks its a mistake . He never going to know what is the real problem any way till he trys a bunch of things so no one is fucking right in here till he trys something.
it doesnt matter who is right, just that it gets fixed! It could be SO many things..
Old 06-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

jdmhonda is an unknown quantity at this point

Are the memory errors happening only from playing games or randomly when using XP for anything? If they only happen during games, then I suspect your RAM may be at fault or something on your motherboard, but it sounds like a overheating issue. However, upgrading to SP2 probably complicated things. To me it sounds like your system files may be corrupt, which will also cause memory errors, hangs, abrupt program terminations, etc.

Open a command prompt in XP by doing Start > Run > type "cmd". Then type SFC /scannow. This will run the system file checker which will check your crucial styem files for modifications or if they're corrupt, and it will replace them if they are. Doing this should clear up any problems that would arise from corrupt or invalid replaced system files, sometimes resulting from shitty Windows updates or when a program installs their own version.

If doing that doesn't help, then I think your directx or video card drivers are screwed. Completely uninstall and then reinstall the new version of directx. DO NOT just reinstall without uninstalling, this will not help in most cases. You need to completely get rid of old files. Do the same for video card drivers.