Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Custom computer cases..

Old 12-24-2004, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elementalwindx has disabled reputation
Question Custom computer cases..

Ok I've been getting bored lately and I wonder how many people would pay to have a custom computer case made, and just how much they would pay for it? I'm thinking of buying a paint gun and a few sets of dremmels and a medium sized air compressor and gonna buy a few cases and try to see how good I would be at making custom cases.

I'm damn good at making custom pc's (hardware wise) I am GREAT at matching up hardware that works great with 100% of the installed hardware, so I want to see how good I could be at making custom cases.

My first design I am thinking of buying a plain black huge case, all metal, and cutting out certain designs with the dremel. My first design I wanted to do the mitsu logo out of red clear plexi-glass or plastic, and cut a big diamond into the metal of the side panel. Throw some VERY tiney red neons in the shape of the mitsu logo and inside the case would be entirely candy coated blood red.

I am wondering just how much the supplies to do this would cost. I'm hoping under 500$ total not including the PC hardware.

The case would cost me $50-$70 depending on how big I would want it.

I have no clue how much the rest of the supplies/tools would cost and I would like sources to buy them from at the best prices from you guys. Thanks!
Old 12-25-2004, 04:38 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Custom computer cases..

beware if you make a DSM case.....it would require you to fix it every other day.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:46 AM
<3FreshieFresh<3

ZeRo_C0oL is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't predict there will really be a big enough demand to warrant you doing this as anything other than a hobby on the weekends or whatever, but it's cool.. I used to be into case modding but it never really amounted to anything.

If I were you, I'd probably just stick to basic quality spray paint. You can still get candy paint and stuff like that in the basic can. It might help to cut cost down dramatically.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ZeRo_C0oL
I don't predict there will really be a big enough demand to warrant you doing this as anything other than a hobby on the weekends or whatever, but it's cool.. I used to be into case modding but it never really amounted to anything.

If I were you, I'd probably just stick to basic quality spray paint. You can still get candy paint and stuff like that in the basic can. It might help to cut cost down dramatically.
A friend of mine built a PC case out of wood, bought the plans from the creators of hell raiser for "the box" the gateway to hell or whatever, and he made an exact replica of it and used it as a water cooled computer case Too bad the hardware of the PC is shit (other than the water cooling system) It's slooow. He made the cover of a few custom PC magazines and had several articles done on it. He ended up giving it to his 10 year old kid. lol.

I dont care to get that major into it. I might made a full plexiglass case or somethin like that one day. Thats one thing I've always wanted to try. I've seen clear plastic cases pre-made, they're pretty cool looking too.

Any idea how much these supplies would cost?
Old 12-25-2004, 08:49 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

in high school a friend of mine and i built one into one of those suitcases that has the handle on top that pulls up to roll it around.. that shit was pretty funny.. easy to take places too.. haha
Old 12-25-2004, 09:51 AM
<3FreshieFresh<3

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
in high school a friend of mine and i built one into one of those suitcases that has the handle on top that pulls up to roll it around.. that shit was pretty funny.. easy to take places too.. haha
a lot of people build systems in suitcases and briefcases.. I've seen everything, including gutted tv's that house hardware, mini-fridges, etc...

as for the price of supplies, I haven't kept up with the cost of individual components like I probbaly should have... kind of lost interest in it. I've been into computers since I could read. Still love high-end electronics, hardware, and computers, but I have to admit that I lost a little bit of interest in it. My most recent investment was on this 3ghz HP, and I love it. I've always been more interested in building my own computers with the components that I specifically want, and having it come out cheaper, but these manufacturers are making it harder and harder to build a cheaper but equally or better performing pc. the reason why I say it's going to be hard to find much interest in people buying these is because of that reason. you can go to a typical retail store now and buy a nice complete computer setup for $600 or so, depending on what you need. I opted for the 21.3" flat panel, so it wasn't a $600 system by any means, but you know what I'm saying.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:39 PM

a lot of people build systems in suitcases and briefcases.. I've seen everything, including gutted tv's that house hardware, mini-fridges, etc...

as for the price of supplies, I haven't kept up with the cost of individual components like I probbaly should have... kind of lost interest in it. I've been into computers since I could read. Still love high-end electronics, hardware, and computers, but I have to admit that I lost a little bit of interest in it. My most recent investment was on this 3ghz HP, and I love it. I've always been more interested in building my own computers with the components that I specifically want, and having it come out cheaper, but these manufacturers are making it harder and harder to build a cheaper but equally or better performing pc. the reason why I say it's going to be hard to find much interest in people buying these is because of that reason. you can go to a typical retail store now and buy a nice complete computer setup for $600 or so, depending on what you need. I opted for the 21.3" flat panel, so it wasn't a $600 system by any means, but you know what I'm saying.

You couldn't be more right. I wish someone would give me a link to wtf the stuff looks like, or to a page that tells me how to do it from start to finish, since I am a paint dummy.

I mean cmon, all I did for painting my valve cover was buy 2 cans of red and 1 can of silver high temp brake paint and sanded down my entire valve cover and painted it over...its not bright anymore but it stays and doesn't chip lol.

But I want the shiny to stay darnit
Old 12-25-2004, 03:44 PM
<3FreshieFresh<3

You just want to see modded cases, or what? I have a link saved somewhere on my other pc that has a gallery with like 100+ pages of modded cases. Some of them are sick, and look like some of the guys didn't get out of the houses for a LONG time working on them! lol

I think with a case, you're not going to have to worry about paint fading nearly as bad as a valve cover. If you're case modding, might as well try to find a few quiet fans to throw in there and keep it even cooler inside. Prime, spray, clear.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:47 PM

You just want to see modded cases, or what? I have a link saved somewhere on my other pc that has a gallery with like 100+ pages of modded cases. Some of them are sick, and look like some of the guys didn't get out of the houses for a LONG time working on them! lol

I think with a case, you're not going to have to worry about paint fading nearly as bad as a valve cover. If you're case modding, might as well try to find a few quiet fans to throw in there and keep it even cooler inside. Prime, spray, clear.
I ment like links to places to get paint and what types of paint to get, to get that blood red candy (or pearl) paint I wanted.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:48 PM
<3FreshieFresh<3

Originally Posted by elementalwindx
I ment like links to places to get paint and what types of paint to get, to get that blood red candy (or pearl) paint I wanted.
Ooh.. Hmm... Google? I don't know. You can find ANYTHING on the internet if you're patient and look hard enough. You can probably find a spray paint called "Penis blood red" or something if you look hard enough. lol

I'll see if I can dig anything up.

Quick Reply: Custom computer cases..