Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Custom computer cases..

Old 12-25-2004, 03:50 PM
<3FreshieFresh<3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZeRo_C0oL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Custom computer cases..

http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-70812.html ? ...just skimmed over it but looks like a "how to"

As for another forum, check out [H]ard|Forums... I've been on there for like 4 years now! Nothing but computer nerds. Lots of case modders on there with plenty of DIY guides, I'm sure.. lol www.hardforums.com
Old 12-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ZeRo_C0oL
http://www.ocforums.com/archive/index.php/t-70812.html ? ...just skimmed over it but looks like a "how to"

As for another forum, check out [H]ard|Forums... I've been on there for like 4 years now! Nothing but computer nerds. Lots of case modders on there with plenty of DIY guides, I'm sure.. lol www.hardforums.com
Very nice website
Old 12-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Skinny White Kid

racinGSRstyle is an unknown quantity at this point

the whole "you can barely build a computer for cheaper than buy a similar one pre-built" is very far from correct.
Old 12-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Patron

Boxer4PSI has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by racinGSRstyle
the whole "you can barely build a computer for cheaper than buy a similar one pre-built" is very far from correct.
The last time I looked at building a pc, I only saved $100 over what a pre-built one made at similar specs would cost shipped to my house...and the one year comprehensive warranty that most pre-built computers come with included in the price are worth the extra $100 should something go wrong. However, I will say that you can save A LOT on building a pc on ur own, provided that you know where the killer deals are. If you don't know where the killer deals are though, you're better off buying a computer pre-built from one of the big names or Alienware.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:01 PM
<3FreshieFresh<3

ZeRo_C0oL is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said, I come from that type of background where I thought I could always put it together myself, cheaper... and that was right, most of the time. With everyones prices falling so low, it's hard to beat anymore.

I know where to find good deals. Look at some of the on-shelf computers. Mine is 3ghz with 512mb of ram, 16x dvd-rw/cd-rw (right off the top of my head, not sure what speed it writes regular data and audio, but it's fast), supports 5.1.. yadda yadda.

You may still save a little money doing it yourself, but definitely not like it used to be. This system two years ago, had there been 3ghz, would have probably cost $3k.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:53 PM

elementalwindx has disabled reputation

Yea, unless you find the killer deals, and by the time you call all your wholesalers or distributers and other random companies, you'd end up saving money by saving time and just ordering one pre-built and letting them worry bout the stupid warrenties.

I quit building custom pc's for customers who wanted a warranty. I only build them w/o a warranty because I could care less about replacing someones hardware for free. f*k that
Old 12-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

MMM.... Case modding.. fun stuff. Getting ready to start building a new one myself. Spray paint is not durable on a pc case. Esp. if you are like me and like to do the skeletons... The heat will make the paint crack and chip. Automotive paint would work good but it's exspensive. Airbrushing is the best form of paint to use, they make automotive paint for airbrushes that is relatively inexspensive. Outside of that powdercoating or annodizing is best considering you have an aluminum skeleton and case.

I'll have to post a picture of Maries comp. with the mitsu window tonight.. now that I am 98% done with it. It looks good.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:30 AM
Ivy Tadita

Originally Posted by ZeRo_C0oL
You may still save a little money doing it yourself, but definitely not like it used to be. This system two years ago, had there been 3ghz, would have probably cost $3k.
The reason for that is the computers that are prebuilt use cheap components. If you were to build a pc using the same components as a prebuilt one then you would save a lot of money. However... for those of us that want good quality stuff (asus, geforce, amd64 ) then we are going to spend more for a pc with the same clock speed as a prebuilt.. but I guarantee you that it will last longer too as long as you don't oc it too high.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Originally Posted by cootees
However... for those of us that want good quality stuff (asus, geforce, amd64 ) then we are going to spend more for a pc with the same clock speed as a prebuilt.. but I guarantee you that it will last longer too as long as you don't oc it too high.
Or, we'll just by a Mac....
Old 12-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Ivy Tadita

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Or, we'll just by a Mac....
Macs are great!!

(for me to poop on)

Quick Reply: Custom computer cases..