Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Custom computer cases..

Old 01-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Skinny White Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
racinGSRstyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Custom computer cases..

Originally Posted by GaRn
whats your pc setup?

I'd like to see anyone put together a system for $600 with all new parts that is comparable to one you can get from cyberpower..
basically my setup is 1024mb ram, athlon 64 3000+ processor, 128mb video card, 200gb hard drive, etc etc. mostly i got stuff through newegg after researching different components i wanted and whatnot. i could type up my entire system if you really want, but its nothing too exciting.

as for the $600 cyberpower system, i'm sure you could put a similar one together for cheaper kinda like shown above, but the less expensive the components the less difference in price there will be so it is probably worth it to buy the less expensive prebuilt ones from them if you dont want to/cant build yourself, or if they give you a warranty and you want one (not sure if cyberpower does or not)
Old 01-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by GaRn
You can build a comparble PC for a bit cheaper, but you have to admit cyberpowerpc is probably the best option if you don't build.. Alienware is the biggest rip off I have ever seen lol.. here you can get exactly what you want, for cheap as hell to..

from cyberpowerpc-

athlon64 2800+
nice case w/420w ps
Abit KV8 Pro mobo
Geil value 512 mb pc3200
80 gb hd
shitty geforce4 fx5200 128mb
52x32x52 cdrw
flash media reader/writer
even a cheap mouse/keyboard!

total: $518 plus shipping..

from newegg-

athlon64 2800+ $115
comparable case/ps $45.85
maxtor 80 gb hd $55.45
geil value 512 pc3200 $82.00
abit kv8 pro $89
Lite-on 52x32x52 $21
leadtek geforce fx 5200 $50

total: $458.30 plus whatever shipping, some stuff is free shipping..

so not including the mouse/keyboard/6in1 flash reader/writer, I'd say its pretty damn close...
One thing... Most likely the parts used by cyberpowerpc are oe and are not of the same quality and performance as the retail parts. Plus garn, you checked newegg... not pricewatch The only thing newegg is good for is when you want the part cheap and quick. If you have time to wait on it you can usually find it much cheaper on pricewatch.com
Old 01-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cootees
The reason for that is the computers that are prebuilt use cheap components. If you were to build a pc using the same components as a prebuilt one then you would save a lot of money. However... for those of us that want good quality stuff (asus, geforce, amd64 ) then we are going to spend more for a pc with the same clock speed as a prebuilt.. but I guarantee you that it will last longer too as long as you don't oc it too high.
i didn't even bother finishing reading th whole thread but i just built a top notch 3200+ athlon xp64 processor($200)[hint they don't even have an operating system capable of using the 64bit potential) with a top of the line asus motherboard($100) 160 gig hard drive(bout $80 after rebate i think) 512mb ram($100 maybe less), stealth casew/ keyboard and speakers($75), 9800 graphics card($250), dvd +r/cd+r+rw($150) and xp pro($120 off ebay w/ authenticity card) it's equivalent to a 3.2ghz pentium 4 but has a higher front bus 1gig i do believe. under $1000. and i got a 17" lcd monitor(350) now you find something that comes close to that kickass of a gaming machine for even $1500, prebuilt by hp, compaq or alienware. if someone wants one even faster than mine i can build it for 2500, and i mean server speed fast.
edit: read the rest and most of my stuff came from newegg or pricewatch. and i could've built a 3 gig system for 600 easy if i just used a cheap video card and just a cd burner.

Last edited by The_rabbit1; 01-12-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

yea but i find pricewatch a little cheaper, but mostly has alot of offbrand stuff for the really good prices.. and its all sourced from different sellers.. newegg is GREAT with returns, you can return it for just about any reason.. true about cyberpower i guess, but OE stuff is practically the same in most cases... except for video cards I would say..
Old 01-15-2005, 08:36 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

This is one me and a few idiots made...we built an overclocked unit in a mini fridge..........EASY...but ...ya had to have an inner case air tight so the condensation dosnt fry the mobo....it was fun and all..but...not for the cash they shelled out..
Old 01-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Skinny White Kid

racinGSRstyle is an unknown quantity at this point

yay