Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

DIY paint job?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 AM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.
Default Re: DIY paint job?

Originally Posted by Cosmo
If you aren't looking for a show quality job, check out something like Maaco or Earl Scheib. You can get it done for a couple hundred bucks, which is probably what you'd spend in materials to do it yourself anyways.

I'm all for doing things yourself, but without a paint booth and the right equipment, painting is a pain...
If you chose to do this Prep the car yourself. (IE: Remove headlights taillights, molding and the like.)
Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 PM

black_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond repute

I did mine last year in garage that sounds like what CustomX did haha. I bought all the stuff at James T. Davis on Plantation road, they were really helpful as far as what I needed to get it done. Ive got probably around 500 in material.

I did spend a good while wetsanding the clear and then buffing it to get the orange peel off. It was the first car I've painted so Im sure the orange peel was user error. The black didnt come out as good as I would like but it works for now, until I decide to repaint.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Registered member

LovemyNiSmO is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn I am definately rethinking it now. I would love to do it myself and all, but considering the time and money. It definately seems a little tougher than the diy websites make it sound. I may talk to macco and see what they can do.

I heard you can actually finance a paint job through macco now, anyone know if thats true?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

sidewaysfox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LovemyNiSmO

I heard you can actually finance a paint job through macco now, anyone know if thats true?
3 mo' payments and this here shit is mine....
Old 03-25-2009, 01:52 PM

black_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond reputeblack_krix_si has a reputation beyond repute

Its a lot of tedious work for sure.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Quick Image

AceTransAm02 will become famous soon enoughAceTransAm02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LovemyNiSmO
Damn I am definately rethinking it now. I would love to do it myself and all, but considering the time and money. It definately seems a little tougher than the diy websites make it sound. I may talk to macco and see what they can do.

I know youd get as bout a good of job doing it in your garage as you would going to maaco.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Registered member

LovemyNiSmO is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol everyone says maaco jobs are pretty terrible. Is it because the people try to rush it and skip spots. Or is it pretty much that they have no clue what there doing.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Temporary ######

Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor Brian_O'Connor

you get what you pay for..... need I say more?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Quick Image

AceTransAm02 will become famous soon enoughAceTransAm02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RedneckRicer
you get what you pay for..... need I say more?
thats pretty much right they do a "get it in get it out" job Ive seen cars come out of there with horrible sand marks overspray all over everything. If your gonna pay someone to do it, Spend a little money and have it done right, Id say just attempt it yourself but I dont know your background in autobody... if its just a sand and paint job thats simple. but if theres a lot of body work involved you shouldnt attempt it with out some guidance or help.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 PM
ohh yea

integrab17 has disabled reputation

DONTgo to maaco i got my car painted there almost 7 months ago and i payed like 850 so they can do a decent job it was good for a while then started to chip in alot of places...i think do it yourself if u have the right toolls

Quick Reply: DIY paint job?