Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Dyno in Salem

Old 06-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marshall has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dyno in Salem

Dyno isn't open yet, still have some wiring to do and the drywall needs to be finished. Like any project, there are lots of little things that tend to hold things up...Jerry's looking for someone to finish the drywall if anyone's looking for part time work (last guy quit 1/2 way through ), just needs to be taped, plastered, sanded, etc - all the heavy lifting's been done.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

myclone has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by marshall
Dyno isn't open yet, still have some wiring to do and the drywall needs to be finished. Like any project, there are lots of little things that tend to hold things up...Jerry's looking for someone to finish the drywall if anyone's looking for part time work (last guy quit 1/2 way through ), just needs to be taped, plastered, sanded, etc - all the heavy lifting's been done.
Im no expert at sheet rock but Ive done well enough with it around the house that the wife hasnt complained so Id be willing to sling dry wall mud for some dyno time.

What kinda wiring needs done? Industrial electronics tech here for the last 8yrs here in the noke so I may be able to help there too (anything up to 480VAC 3 phase isnt a prob either but I dont have a VA electricians lic though). Id be glad to help out during the week while Im off work from the reg job and trading for dyno time would more than work for me.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

FYI,

I stopped by this place today since I was in the area and dragging the syclone around on the trailer (breaking in a new ring/pinion on the tow vehicles rear diff) and I spoke to the owner(s?). Nice fellow named....uh....yar....yahb...yard....uh...oh hell it started with a "Y" I think. Seemed like a super nice guy but he seemed pretty busy so we only chatted a few minutes about when he would be up and running. He has the electrical stuff done and the drywall looks to be about the only big project that needs finished. Since the drywall work is on the ceiling about 25' in the air I didnt volunteer to work on it since I dont have any equipment to get that high and my fat 6'3"/270lb ass aint getting up on the freakin wobbly step ladder I have.

Anyways, he said he should be able to start strapping down cars in "two weeks". First person that pegs the 1kftlb TQ limit gets a 12 pack from me (if youre not of legal age then I'll give you some coupons for chucky cheese so you can eat the worlds crappiest pizza and play in that climbing tube thingy LOL).
Old 06-08-2005, 01:21 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by myclone
FYI,
.... First person that pegs the 1kftlb TQ limit gets a 12 pack from me ....

whats the weight limit on the rollers? cause i have about three vehicles that can and will shatter that torque limit.

two are customer vehicles, one is a farm truck.

i know if a F550 will go on it (empty of course, flatbed) i am pretty sure it will break that number. may be close, but it should.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

I dunno if you can fit anything as wide as a 550 through the door unless the flat bed doesnt stick out past the tires very far. The building is a little smaller than I had in mind but still plenty of room to get something big in there as long as it isnt very wide.

Customers cars that can peg 1kftlbs huh... In roanoke? Street cars? Nahhhh. . None the less I'll put a 12 pack in your hands when its done whether you use a car, truck, tractor, or a steam roller. Doesnt matter to me.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:08 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

they arent cars per se.....

and every one runs on heating oil

*edit* and if you cant fit a dually in there....then there goes their chances.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

A dually truck should fit but there wont be a huge amount of room to spare on either side IMO not to mention there will be a lift in front of the dyno so youll have to negotiate through that to get to the roller. I dunno how wide the flat bed is on the 550 but if its not much wider than the dual rear wheels then it should fit with some careful mirror watching while backing in.

Just keep in mind that there isnt a whole heck of a lot of room on the outside of the dyno either so manuevering(sp?) a large vehicle in/out of the parking lot may take some effort. When I pulled in with my crew cab dually/trailer I had a heck of a time getting out since there wasnt room to turn around and I had to back out.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:48 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by myclone
A dually truck should fit but there wont be a huge amount of room to spare on either side IMO not to mention there will be a lift in front of the dyno so youll have to negotiate through that to get to the roller. I dunno how wide the flat bed is on the 550 but if its not much wider than the dual rear wheels then it should fit with some careful mirror watching while backing in.

Just keep in mind that there isnt a whole heck of a lot of room on the outside of the dyno either so manuevering(sp?) a large vehicle in/out of the parking lot may take some effort. When I pulled in with my crew cab dually/trailer I had a heck of a time getting out since there wasnt room to turn around and I had to back out.

From the sound of it, they installed a dyno in a shed.. is that relatively accurate?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
From the sound of it, they installed a dyno in a shed.. is that relatively accurate?
Well, kinda sorta. Its installed in one of those metal building thingys that are a cross between a car port and a quansit(sp?) hut IMO. Dont get me wrong it looks ok but I doubt there will be any dump trucks getting strapped to the dyno due to it being a little on the small side.

Im not taking anything at all away from it cause it is a nice new facility and will be more than adequate for 99.9999% of whats on the road around here especially considering that roanoke isnt really over populated with chassis dynos to begine with.

The owner that I spoke to seemed extremely nice and pretty knowledgable when I threw terms out there like wide band, code hacking, LC2, BLMs, etc so my first impression was not only did he seem nice he seemed to have a good idea of whats going on. One of the reasons I stopped by other than being in the area is I wanted to see what kinda ppl were running the deal. Since roanoke is severely lacking in places where the techs have more than a clue I wanted to see what type ppl were putting in a dyno. I didnt get the impression that he's a hack and he was familiar with everything I could come up with to throw at him in the short time we chatted.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Yeah, he knows his stuff. Next time you're up there ask him to show you his Cobra, or his GT40 made of carbon fiber, or his airplane that he and a friend built, or his Formula Mazda race car....

Quick Reply: Dyno in Salem