Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Earthquake

Old 05-16-2009, 10:51 AM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro
Default Earthquake

so i was watching tv at about 4am last night, when outta nowhere my entire house started shaking. it sounded/felt like a airplane landed in my front yard...my parents both thought maybe someone had ran their car into our house....first thing that came to my mind was that it was an earthquake. we went outside to see if a car had actually hit my house, just to see all my neighbors checking their houses for the same possibility.

checked the news this morning, and apparently roanoke/salem/vinton got hit with a earthquake registering 2.6 on the richter scale.

anyone else feel it? it was pretty violent shaking for about 15-20 seconds...not enough to do any real damage, but enough to scare you shitless for a little while
Old 05-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: Earthquake

It woke me up.I live about one mile from the airport,so I thought for sure that a plane had crashed,and the vibration of the house(I woke up maybe 5 seconds from it ending)made me think for sure that debris had actually hit the house.I ran outside and.....nothing.
I went back inside,and started to question if maybe I was dreaming,or if maybe the noise may have been somebody trying to break in(the one noise I remember was the garage door jarring back and forth,like maybe somebody was shaking it),so I went through and checked everything and looked outside one more time.
By that point I was convinced that it was a dream,but my girlfriend called me to tell me about it-she works on the top floor of RMH.She said that they thought the helicopter had crashed and hit the hospital(it lands directly on top of her floor,and some noise and vibration is barely noticeable when it lands)!After confirming that didn't happen,they found out about the quake on the Netz.
I wish i could have been awake for the whole thing-I'm sure it'd be cool to experience.My coworker who used to live in LA,and experienced some of the bad quakes out there in the 80s/90s,said that he woke up,and until he realized what was going on,thought he was back home.
Chris
Old 05-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004

I had no idea until I read the thread, it never woke me or my girl up. So if anyone would like to break into my house I'm sure you could do it without disturbing me lol.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:28 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

the news said it hit hardest in the cave spring area, and i live about a mile from there. it was a wild experience...in all honesty i was hoping for some type of aftershock just to experience it again..but at the same time i didn't want anything to get damaged.

my dad didn't believe me when i said it was probably an earthquake...he didn't think we got those in Va

Originally Posted by bluesrt2004
I had no idea until I read the thread, it never woke me or my girl up. So if anyone would like to break into my house I'm sure you could do it without disturbing me lol.
a couple years ago there was a small quake in Roanoke in the middle of the day. this girl in my class said she felt it, but her sister who was across the street didn't feel anything...maybe it didn't get to your area....although the news said it was felt through the Roanoke/Salem/Vinton area...

Last edited by The Nisbro; 05-16-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004

Originally Posted by Nism0 B14
a couple years ago there was a small quake in Roanoke in the middle of the day. this girl in my class said she felt it, but her sister who was across the street didn't feel anything...maybe it didn't get to your area....although the news said it was felt through the Roanoke/Salem/Vinton area...
Hmm, I live in between Williamson and Plantation. Oh well, looks like i missed out on a pretty awesome chance to fuck with the gf...damn it
Old 05-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by bluesrt2004
Oh well, looks like i missed out on a pretty awesome chance to fuck with the gf...damn it
"I swear you'll think the Earth shakes when I lay it down"..........."See?"
Chris
Old 05-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Drives a Mustang

TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6

sorry to tell you guys, it wasnt an earthquake. it was me blastin my subs.

(ignore the fact that they are factory and one is blown.)
Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Slappin Curtis

Originally Posted by TNGChris
"I swear you'll think the Earth shakes when I lay it down"..........."See?"
Chris
Haha, she's from New Castle so every night when we lay down she asks me if i locked the doors, says she doesn't feel safe in the mean city of Roanoke lol. You know our neighborhood is hardcore, huh chris?. She hears a car outside and wakes me up everytime.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:37 AM
standout

greenbme89 has disabled reputation

I live off of Williamson also and I didn't feel a thing...I didn't even know about it until the news and I thought they were joking.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Dont guess, diagnose

連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入

Nothing in the NRV, I was actually awake at this time too.

Quick Reply: Earthquake