Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Ebay...not what it use to be.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elementalwindx has disabled reputation
Question Ebay...not what it use to be.

Anyone else here believe EBay was much better way back in the day? Say its first couple years of existence?

Now it seems like whenever I go to try to find a deal, its extremely even more rare than it use to be. Then now if you think you do find a deal, they are not selling the right item that it is listed as, or they are selling a knock off and listing it as the real thing, or any of that crap above.

Anybody here want to list some of the best and worst finds they've found within the past year, and if possible link it?

My worst ended up becoming one of my best.

My worst:
I bought the "hard pipe air intake" for my eclipse, which was described as the one made by that one company (the only one) that makes them for the GST/X but the picture on the description page was of a RS/GS model air intake, so I said oh well go figure I'll buy it. I bought it for $40, it comes in the mail and I somehow had "TWO" GS/RS air intakes. I turned it around by selling them both each for $60 at the local rice fest night.

My best:
My best was buying a guys Pioneer Premier 800x1 amp and Pioneer HU (both were extremely good and in ment condition) for $350 shipped, when it was worth $1,000 + shipping. The amp alone cost $800 new, and cd player $300 new. That was 4 years ago back when I owned the Celica.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Registered Member

00CivicGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ebay...not what it use to be.

I agree. I used to find stuff much cheaper back in the day. Now its cheap stuff for expensive. I did however get a good Christmas present the other week. Some Harley Davidson boots that are normally $120 I got for $49 plus $10 for shipping. Brand new and all..but its a rarity to get something like that now
Old 12-10-2004, 06:59 AM
visuallyinklined.com

sebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the rough

dont like how its mostly knockoffs posing as something real and mostly small companies selling stuff and not individual people. why do i trust people then a ebay store? i do not know
Old 12-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

I use ebay ALL the time. Sure theres knockoffs of shit on there, but if you dont try to buy crappy stuff you generally will never run into them. Its pretty obvious when someone is selling an HKS SSQV for 100 dollars buy it now, that you should closely read the description which almost always says its an "HKS Like" monza BOV. In recent times I think I've found some of the best deals personally. I just got a 3" O2 eliminator downpipe from HRC, the kind where there is a 3" Tubular O2 housing built into the downpipe, that was flanged for an external wastegate that recirculates right back into the exhaust, with a Turbonetics deltagate attached, for 340 shipped, normally a 1000 dollar piece, just for sake of examples. Alot of the time if you are smart about it Ive bought things off of ebay and then turned right back around and sold them back on ebay for twice what I paid. O yea I also recently bought an auction for a 1g head, 2g exhman, 1g TB, valve cover, AEM cam gears, and the head was welded and setup for a 95-96CAS all for 122 bucks. The deals are definately out there, so my advice is just dont buy cheap crap, or at the very least READ the fine print, and if you have any questions email them before bidding.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
I use ebay ALL the time. Sure theres knockoffs of shit on there, but if you dont try to buy crappy stuff you generally will never run into them. Its pretty obvious when someone is selling an HKS SSQV for 100 dollars buy it now, that you should closely read the description which almost always says its an "HKS Like" monza BOV. In recent times I think I've found some of the best deals personally. I just got a 3" O2 eliminator downpipe from HRC, the kind where there is a 3" Tubular O2 housing built into the downpipe, that was flanged for an external wastegate that recirculates right back into the exhaust, with a Turbonetics deltagate attached, for 340 shipped, normally a 1000 dollar piece, just for sake of examples. Alot of the time if you are smart about it Ive bought things off of ebay and then turned right back around and sold them back on ebay for twice what I paid. O yea I also recently bought an auction for a 1g head, 2g exhman, 1g TB, valve cover, AEM cam gears, and the head was welded and setup for a 95-96CAS all for 122 bucks. The deals are definately out there, so my advice is just dont buy cheap crap, or at the very least READ the fine print, and if you have any questions email them before bidding.
What?! How the hell did you find that one? Hook me up w/ the 1g TB, cam gears, and hook garan up w/ the 1g bov and exhaust mani heh.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:13 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elementalwindx
Anyone else here believe EBay was much better way back in the day? Say its first couple years of existence?

Now it seems like whenever I go to try to find a deal, its extremely even more rare than it use to be. Then now if you think you do find a deal, they are not selling the right item that it is listed as, or they are selling a knock off and listing it as the real thing, or any of that crap above.

Anybody here want to list some of the best and worst finds they've found within the past year, and if possible link it?

My worst ended up becoming one of my best.

My worst:
I bought the "hard pipe air intake" for my eclipse, which was described as the one made by that one company (the only one) that makes them for the GST/X but the picture on the description page was of a RS/GS model air intake, so I said oh well go figure I'll buy it. I bought it for $40, it comes in the mail and I somehow had "TWO" GS/RS air intakes. I turned it around by selling them both each for $60 at the local rice fest night.

My best:
My best was buying a guys Pioneer Premier 800x1 amp and Pioneer HU (both were extremely good and in ment condition) for $350 shipped, when it was worth $1,000 + shipping. The amp alone cost $800 new, and cd player $300 new. That was 4 years ago back when I owned the Celica.
more than one company makes hardpipe intakes... i have two different ones sitting in garage right now in fact. a friend of mine has a 3rd brand on his car.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
more than one company makes hardpipe intakes... i have two different ones sitting in garage right now in fact. a friend of mine has a 3rd brand on his car.
Well hell, if my IC pipes were not custom made so retarted w/ the BOV right beside the air intake cone, I'd ask ya if I could buy one off you for cheap.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Piece of white trash

TrailorParkPimp has disabled reputation

oh i love ebay. i look on there at least once a day for stuff. my last thing i bought off of there was a set of 17" ADR Sokudo rims that were NIB for $410 shipped to my door. no tires but i aint worried about tires right now. i got them within a week of sending them the money. they were fastest thing i ever bought that was shipped to me. believe it or not, i bought my Integra off of ebay for $720. sure call me a fool or whatever, but i couldnt pass it up. it needed some stuff to get it running but all thats fixed.

ive never had any bad luck on ebay. when i bid, i wont buy from anyone under 98% feedback and i always check their feedback comments before i place a bid.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Skinny White Kid

racinGSRstyle is an unknown quantity at this point

i've never had any bad luck on ebay either. gotta pay attention to details and stuff. i've found a lot of good deals on there for myself or others i knew were lookin for something in particular. its not a bad place, just a lot of bs to sift through.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:59 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

i got screwed once on a battery and the guy didn't insure it when i paid for insurance.. but thats all, i have saved SO much money on ebay.. I saw an auction for a set of 1000cc DSM injectors on there, noone bid and it was no reserve starting at $99, they were used for like 50 miles to.. suprised noone got them!

Quick Reply: Ebay...not what it use to be.