Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Help my friend fight this stupid ticket

Old 09-11-2005, 04:59 AM
RAWR!%!#%!#

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bensrex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help my friend fight this stupid ticket

So here's the story. There is a bank here in Radford with two handicap parking spots on the side, with the ATM at the front of the bank. The bank closes at 5pm like usual. EVERYBODY that needs to use the ATM, swings into the handicap spots (approx. 2 of them) to run to the ATM real quick, since otherwise, you would have to park at the back of the bank and walk around the building. Well, at approximately 8pm, my friend pulled into a handicap spot with noone else around, car running, and went to the ATM. 15 seconds later, the cop pulls up. Cop gives him a court summons for parking there. We have heard of this cop doing the same ticket to a bunch of other people, BUT - they are only getting parking tickets ($100). For some reason, and this reason is unknown, my friend got the court summons ($150 prepaid + $50+ court fees).

So here is my question, what should he say in court? My argument is that I do not think ATM's are wheelchair accessible. I honestly do not think it is low enough for a handicapped person to reach. It was 8pm on a Friday night, so the bank was completely closed. Anyone that has more info about what he should say, etc.. any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:14 AM
2004 Danceoff Champ

Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy
Default Re: Help my friend fight this stupid ticket

Well coming from a legal stand point....your friend is in the wrong. No matter if you or him think that the ATM is not wheel chair accessible. Not all people that are handicapped are in a wheelchair. And, the spots are not just for the ATM, they are for the entire bank. So, he is wrong for parking there and he broke the law. Pay it and don't worry about it because it's not a moving violation.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:40 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by Tonka Toy
Well coming from a legal stand point....your friend is in the wrong. No matter if you or him think that the ATM is not wheel chair accessible. Not all people that are handicapped are in a wheelchair. And, the spots are not just for the ATM, they are for the entire bank. So, he is wrong for parking there and he broke the law. Pay it and don't worry about it because it's not a moving violation.
^ This guy is right. They may cut him a break in court if he explains the situation about the bank being closed and no one else being there, but it's obvious that someone is in the wrong any time they park in a handicapped spot and they're not eligible for it by law. I'm always careful not to do that even if it's 3:30AM on a Tuesday, you know?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:59 AM
RAWR!%!#%!#

bensrex is an unknown quantity at this point

Why does he get a court summons, while everyone else gets a parking ticket?

Thanks for the replies. I know he is in the wrong - Just seems like a lot of money. A warning would have been sufficient - but I understand why he got the ticket in the first place.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:50 AM
EtHuGn' N dA NoKe!!!

IntegraXSi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bensrex
Why does he get a court summons, while everyone else gets a parking ticket?
Becuse its the same thing.. VA has changed alot of ticketing rules and fines .. Tell him pay it a deal with it its just bad luck. I doubt the argument of well its near the ATM and everyone dose it will hold up. Its not going to hurt his driving record just his wallet.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

moooopar is an unknown quantity at this point

From now on just park in the middle of the lot.