Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Help on saturday

Old 05-26-2004, 02:30 PM
bring ding ding ding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choodle has disabled reputation
Default Help on saturday

Hey, just wondering if anyone is willing to check out some problems with the talon this saturday in roanoke. I've found a exhaust manifold leak, fuel pump died, and the brakes need bleeding. Boost leak is probably coming from the manifold. Oil in the intake pipe? Normal for turbo cars? And another thing is, the steering, why the hell does it squeak!?!?!?!? I'm not asking for anyone to work on it, just need somebody to point me in the right direction. Replaced the fuel pump yesterday, so no worries on that side. But just let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:38 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Help on saturday

did you rewire it? that is what most DSM jews do....

manifold leak....take it all the way off, you will break at least one stud, i guarantee it..... and you will need to take the bracket off of the ps pump. but, make sure that it is put back on, the one that has the engine lift eye on it on teh two studs that are on the top by the ps pump...it helps keep it from blowing out. i would reccomend getting a new gasket for the turbo to manifold too....most DSMers dont replace it...they believe in RTV like its the devils KY jelly...

oil in the intake pipe is slightly normal, i usually run a catch can in the line from the Valve Cover to the intake....but it usually comes from the turbo seals leaking its a DSM.....if it doesnt leak, its out of oil.....

make a boost tester out of a fernco coupler, a cap, and a valve stem....and you will find your leak. cmon...if you dont know what a fernco coupler is, then you are not a true DSMer.....it falls into the "home depot modification" category

squeaky steering....again....its a DSM...they make noises to cover up other noises...

seriously, when does it make the noise? while turning and sitting still? moving? only at full lock?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

pm me when you come to roanoke and we'll take a look at it. I have to do a few things to my car anyways. All that stuff joey said is normal... dsm's make really weird noises and if they didn't make those noises you should think that something is wrong. As for the oil in the intake it is very normal you can spend some money on a catch can or just buy a $3 in-line fuel filter at advance and it will keep most of the oil out. You will just need to periodically change it when it gets full.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:35 AM
bring ding ding ding

The steering squeeks when im sitting still. I also noticed yesterday that it squeeks when I jack it up. Shocks or springs maybe? It has Eibach springs under it apparently and kyb shocks. I was pretty happy to discover that, explains why the car handles so damn good. But yeah, I'll try out the boost leak tester today definately. I'm guessing a bike pump or something would work right? Just as long as I can hear the air leaking? Now once a find the leak, and if its a hole in the actual piping, will I need to replace the pipe, or is there something that I can just wrap it with. I don't mind the work, I actually prefer it, but I don't have the fundage to replace parts. Anyone have any extra exhaust mani's laying around? I'm gonna swap the intake mani out this weekend, thack left one of his custom ones in my basement, he'll never miss it. haha. "Monster garage: Intake Manifold....FREEBIE!"
Old 05-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Home, finally

Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012 Citium2012

Yeah, my DSM squeaks at full lock on steering, and I do find oil leaking out of my turbo's inlet. I had a boost leak as well, I never took care of it and it warped the manifold. I used a metal repair kit and it has not failed me since!
Old 05-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Ivy Tadita

Originally Posted by Citium2012
Yeah, my DSM squeaks at full lock on steering, and I do find oil leaking out of my turbo's inlet. I had a boost leak as well, I never took care of it and it warped the manifold. I used a metal repair kit and it has not failed me since!
You don't count.. you have a turbo'd 420a
Old 05-29-2004, 08:50 AM
bring ding ding ding

Hehe sucker. Appreciate the help though. I'll drop you a PM tomorow cootees, I'll probably go to Fast Freddies, so yeah. I have just had an altitude adjustment, so my typing may make no sense, but I am oblivious to it, so yeah. Freddies......
Old 05-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Ivy Tadita

Originally Posted by Choodle
Hehe sucker. Appreciate the help though. I'll drop you a PM tomorow cootees, I'll probably go to Fast Freddies, so yeah. I have just had an altitude adjustment, so my typing may make no sense, but I am oblivious to it, so yeah. Freddies......
Thats fine. Just let me know something.