Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Info about cages

Old 12-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Famous...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation
Default Info about cages

I was trying to figure out what cage or rollbar to get, or which one. I need to pass inspection, but I had a friend tell me you can't pass inspection with it in. Is this true? If so what do people do to get around this? Becuase I know I have seen people driving around with cages in their cars.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: Info about cages

Well, as for which to get, it depends on the class you are running in. Some require a more points of connection that others. Some will allow a bolted-in cage, some require them to be welded.

As for insection, I can't help. I have my cars "inspected" at a place that doesn't really inspect them...
Old 12-27-2005, 12:38 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Where the fuck is Joey??????????? Seriously. Does anyone know?
Old 12-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Famous...

Noone knows this? Are you kidding? The place were I get my car inspected doesn't care either, but I still need to know.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:30 PM
old&slo

Nearing is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rotorsownyou7
I was trying to figure out what cage or rollbar to get, or which one. I need to pass inspection, but I had a friend tell me you can't pass inspection with it in. Is this true? If so what do people do to get around this? Becuase I know I have seen people driving around with cages in their cars.
Not true. If yours will pass inspection they won't care if it has a 6pt bar or a 12pt cage.

Last edited by Nearing; 12-27-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Famous...

Originally Posted by Nearing
Not true. If your will pass inspection they won't care if it has a 6pt bar or a 12pt cage.
Really? Are you completely sure? So I can go ahead and get one and it won't matter? I didn't thank it would, it seems like that would just make the car safer anyway.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:07 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Really? Are you completely sure? So I can go ahead and get one and it won't matter? I didn't thank it would, it seems like that would just make the car safer anyway.
You think it would make a street car safer? Technically speaking, it wouldn't--it would only create more of a hazard.

Let me just go ahead and say this: If you do put a nice cage in your car, make damn sure that you make it very well padded. I can't imagine you'll be driving the car around town with a helmet on, will you? It would be illegal if you did anyway... but I hope you see what I'm getting at by now. You smack your skull on a cage, and you're going to be seriously hurt. You don't have that hazard on your typical street car without a cage.

You also have to worry about how hard it may or may not be to get out of the car in the event of an accident, a roll over, a fire, etc. Structurally, it should make your car safer and protect you more so than you would be without it, but there are reasons why roll cages are hazardous.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Famous...

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
You think it would make a street car safer? Technically speaking, it wouldn't--it would only create more of a hazard.

Let me just go ahead and say this: If you do put a nice cage in your car, make damn sure that you make it very well padded. I can't imagine you'll be driving the car around town with a helmet on, will you? It would be illegal if you did anyway... but I hope you see what I'm getting at by now. You smack your skull on a cage, and you're going to be seriously hurt. You don't have that hazard on your typical street car without a cage.

You also have to worry about how hard it may or may not be to get out of the car in the event of an accident, a roll over, a fire, etc. Structurally, it should make your car safer and protect you more so than you would be without it, but there are reasons why roll cages are hazardous.
I am getting the swing arm version of the cage, so it is easy to get out. It will also be very heavily padded. Don't worry, I am not planning on hitting my head if at all possible, it will be padded good, and I will have 5-point harnesses to hold me down.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Ahhhh

Single turb007 has disabled reputation

First you should get a car........

ps...good work John and Jackie
Old 12-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

FRCE PWR has disabled reputation

I had an 8 point cage in my 96 Cobra. Pat Bennett Racing in Amherst, VA installed it. It was a custom chrome-moly welded in, etc. I didn't ever have any problem from any of the cops that pulled me over, so I wouldn't think you would have a problem getting it inspected. It DOES definately stiffen the car up a lot. I NEVER hit my head on any of the bars. With it being a custom job, that may have helped as I had him put it as close to the headliner as possible. Didnt have any padding on it either. I thought it looked a lot cleaner without padding. FYI, if you go to a track that goes by NHRA tech regulations, the swingout bars are not legal from what I understand. I didn't have them or want them. To me, it was easier hopping over the door bar than pulling a pin swinging it out, then reversing the process.

Steve

Quick Reply: Info about cages