Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Info about cages

Old 12-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Info about cages

Cromoly/TIG is the way to go from what I read in Fabrication forums.. I think in some racing organizations (not sure what you are planning in regards to racing) will not pass a MIG'd cage..
Old 12-28-2005, 04:06 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

When I say hit your head, I don't necessarily just mean getting in and out of the car.. but more or less in an accident. If you look at the big picture, a roll cage is going to stiffen the chassis up and strengthen the structure of the car, but what about on the inside.. Lets say you're in a roll over and you either are not wearing a seatbelt, or for some reason it fails: Bam. You hit your head on the bar and you're knocked out cold. Your car catches fire, and no one is around to help you get out of the car. Your fingernails, skin, and hair begin to melt. You regain consciousness only to panic as you see that most of your flesh has already been burned and melted, screaming as you take your last gasp of air.

Not likely, perhaps.. but I'm sure something similar has happened on more than one instance as to where it's created a safety hazard for a car that's driven regularly on the street where there are so many variables and unknowns. You may be able to control your own vehicle, and your own driving, but you have no control over the woman in the Yukon who's talking on the cell phone and putting on her makeup as she runs through the redlight. Things happen. Might be a 1:900,000,000,000,000 chance, but things do happen, and I imagine that would be the reason why you MIGHT have any problems with inspection. I've seen many cars with mild and wild roll cages that are driven on the street and seem to have a good inspection and plates, but I don't know whether or not they went through a full inspection or went to see a good ol' boy like I do.

Jill's hubby (can't think of his name at this point in time to save my life) with the s/c'd Trans Am has a full cage in his car IIRC, doesn't he?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:22 AM
Famous...

rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Single turb007
First you should get a car........

ps...good work John and Jackie
What the hell are you talking about? I bought a car you idiot. Know something but you open your dumbass mouth. Good work John and Jackie? For what? Because they did most of the work putting in a D15 in my daily driver Civic while I was working? Super cool, so when are you taking off the single in the RX-7, rebuilding the engine yourself, doing your own Bridgeport (Haha), and putting it all back together? Then tuning it yourself and running 9's in the 1/4? Oh, and then you are going to beat those pesky Cobra's in FC too, huh? But seriously, as soon as you get it back from Rotorsports since you can't do any of it yourself, are you going to challenge a fast car again this time? Steve Floyd, where you at? Blake, you down? Remeber you still have to race Joey Pruitt since you challenegd him too last time. That will be a close race. A truck that runs 6's against a car than runs 9's.

Last edited by rotorsownyou7; 12-28-2005 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Famous...

Originally Posted by FRCE PWR
I had an 8 point cage in my 96 Cobra. Pat Bennett Racing in Amherst, VA installed it. It was a custom chrome-moly welded in, etc. I didn't ever have any problem from any of the cops that pulled me over, so I wouldn't think you would have a problem getting it inspected. It DOES definately stiffen the car up a lot. I NEVER hit my head on any of the bars. With it being a custom job, that may have helped as I had him put it as close to the headliner as possible. Didnt have any padding on it either. I thought it looked a lot cleaner without padding. FYI, if you go to a track that goes by NHRA tech regulations, the swingout bars are not legal from what I understand. I didn't have them or want them. To me, it was easier hopping over the door bar than pulling a pin swinging it out, then reversing the process.

Steve
Really? I didn't know a swing out wouldn't pass in some tech regulations. It might be easier for you to hop over the bar, but I am a little big for that! Did you ever get that Cobra inspected?
Old 12-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Famous...

So does anyone really know? That one guy at the top said it was alright and would pass inspection but he hasn't posted anything else on this thread, so I still don't know. Does anyone know? I mean someone has to have done this!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:28 AM
KA powered S14

019 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rotorsownyou7
I will have 5-point harnesses to hold me down.
do you actually plan on daily driving with a 5 point harness? it's a pain in the ass to get all the belts in EVERY time you get in the car....

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Lets say you're in a roll over and you either are not wearing a seatbelt, or for some reason it fails
fyi, the seatbelts don't have to fail for you to hit your head on the roll cage. seat belts are designed to have some play in them, so in the case of a rollover (with a regular seatbelt and no roll cage) your torso will be thrust forward and your head not squished. that's why it's not safe to wear any harness on the streets w/o a roll cage. you torso has nowhere to go and your head becomes a pancake
Old 12-28-2005, 04:29 AM
Famous...

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
When I say hit your head, I don't necessarily just mean getting in and out of the car.. but more or less in an accident. If you look at the big picture, a roll cage is going to stiffen the chassis up and strengthen the structure of the car, but what about on the inside.. Lets say you're in a roll over and you either are not wearing a seatbelt, or for some reason it fails: Bam. You hit your head on the bar and you're knocked out cold. Your car catches fire, and no one is around to help you get out of the car. Your fingernails, skin, and hair begin to melt. You regain consciousness only to panic as you see that most of your flesh has already been burned and melted, screaming as you take your last gasp of air.

Not likely, perhaps.. but I'm sure something similar has happened on more than one instance as to where it's created a safety hazard for a car that's driven regularly on the street where there are so many variables and unknowns. You may be able to control your own vehicle, and your own driving, but you have no control over the woman in the Yukon who's talking on the cell phone and putting on her makeup as she runs through the redlight. Things happen. Might be a 1:900,000,000,000,000 chance, but things do happen, and I imagine that would be the reason why you MIGHT have any problems with inspection. I've seen many cars with mild and wild roll cages that are driven on the street and seem to have a good inspection and plates, but I don't know whether or not they went through a full inspection or went to see a good ol' boy like I do.

Jill's hubby (can't think of his name at this point in time to save my life) with the s/c'd Trans Am has a full cage in his car IIRC, doesn't he?
Yeah, I understand man. That is why it will be haevily padded in my head area, and raised high to the roof. At the track I will wear a helmet. I just need to find out about inspection before I go ahead and put it in! I don't want to have to drive around illegal.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:32 AM
Famous...

Originally Posted by 019
do you actually plan on daily driving with a 5 point harness? it's a pain in the ass to get all the belts in EVERY time you get in the car....

fyi, the seatbelts don't have to fail for you to hit your head on the roll cage. seat belts are designed to have some play in them, so in the case of a rollover (with a regular seatbelt and no roll cage) your torso will be thrust forward and your head not squished. that's why it's not safe to wear any harness on the streets w/o a roll cage. you torso has nowhere to go and your head becomes a pancake
No, it will not be a daily driver! Just weekends or track events probably. I have a Civic as a DD.

Why does everyone talk about it being so dangerous? I thought it would be good to have a roll cage and a harness in case of a rollover?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:32 AM
Registered Member

myclone has disabled reputation

Not that I can answer your question whether a cage is inspectable or not but something to think about...

You put a cage in your car and a couple of chicks talking on their cell phone and putting on make up run a red light piling into your car killing one or both of them (whether or not their idiotic asses deserved it or not isnt the point). Even though you are not at fault since you altered the crumple zone in your car a lawyer could argue that they would have lived if your car hadnt been modified/stiffened and would have absorbed more of the impact rather than transferring most of it to their car.

To sum it up a lawyer could very well prove libel on your part if you ended up in front of the right judge and/or jury. Just something to be aware of.

BTW, if youre looking to see what is legal or not legal as far as the track any IHRA/NHRA rule book will spell out the specs for the roll cages depending on what ET youre wanting to run. My suggestion to you is that rather than asking the interweb what to do you need to get a copy of the actual rules to find out what you need. If nothing else it would suck to show up in the tech line at the track with a cage installed to the specs you got off the net and then find out it wont pass tech according to NHRA/IHRA rules.

My .02 FWIW.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:52 AM
Registered Member

20psi 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point

safety harnesses will not pass state inspection. i know that.

Quick Reply: Info about cages