Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Local tuners?

Old 08-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marshall has disabled reputation
Default Re: Local tuners?

Originally Posted by GaRn
Oh yea, usually widebands on dyno's, stuck in the tailpipe are around .5 too lean..
The last time the lexus was on the dyno I compared their tailpipe to my wb, they were within 1-2 tenths of eachother..
Old 08-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by marshall
The last time the lexus was on the dyno I compared their tailpipe to my wb, they were within 1-2 tenths of eachother..
Yah I was really surprised how accurate there wide band was, though I guess that's part of it being new and not that many passes with leaded fuel going over it...
Old 08-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Matt 5.9 has disabled reputation

ok, he definately wants to get a tune but i would think that taking the car to someone would be a little bit out of the question...wouldnt that make the cost REAAALY high? and the downtime on the car bein away from home.

im tellin him to get a ported eaton but he would have to solve the fueling issues that come with pushing that much air.

i think he should just get something to hold him over for awhile. (predator)

any more thoughts?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Slowbra Driver

D1g1tal V3n0m is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2002BLGT
Diablo = BLOWS,the tunes are usually lean as crap which will blow your car up ,
Didn't say they were the best.

It's all in what you want. I wouldn't port that Eaton. Throw that bitch away and run either a KB or ATI Procharger unit.

I'd say go nitrous but you don't want to end up like Steve.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:47 AM
07 TL

BOOST FED 95Z has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by D1g1tal V3n0m
Didn't say they were the best.

It's all in what you want. I wouldn't port that Eaton. Throw that bitch away and run either a KB or ATI Procharger unit.

I'd say go nitrous but you don't want to end up like Steve.
Porting the Eaton is my next move. Its pretty inexpensive and seams to make decent power. For someone that doesnt want a 650 RWHP car porting the Eaton is a great decision.
Scott
Old 08-07-2005, 10:52 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

if he wants to do a basic tune to maximize the power of the pulley, a predator is a damn good choice. or a Superchips setup.

Kevin at PAS has had good luck out of them lately from what i gather from him. he is on this board as Floda5oh. they are pretty simple to tune (not the best for max power tuning, but for most things they are great) and reliable.

figure about 350-500 for a full tune (cost of tuning device and dyno time) less if its someone good tuning usually.

and porting is highly underrated i have noticed. people are quick to jump on the Kenne Bell bandwagon, when there is some pretty good power avail. in the stocker. granted, its not gonna be good on high boost....but the flow is much better. alot of the Lightning guys are running a stock unit and hitting low 12's/11's.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:55 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by 2002BLGT
Mid 12s is too lean on a 03 cobra ......needs to be flatlined about 11.8

[diesel mode]eh fuckit, just run it till its pouring the black smoke.

turn the fuel up!!!!!! [/diesel mode]
Old 08-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

FRCE PWR has disabled reputation

I had my Eaton ported. I have no clue how much difference it mad as I did a lt of other mods with it.

As far as the tune goes, doesn't really matter which one you go with, just thought it might save you some moeny as they can be re-tuned (reflashed) with ease. In my case, I use the Diablo for one main reason. When I bought it, the SCT was not available. I have heard the SCT will do more tricks, but my tuner said I wouldn't need it for what I am doing. When I make a change, I email James @ RWTD and he emails me a file (or a few files) to try out and see which one feels best. As for running lean, I don't really see how that the Diablo would do that if it was a custom tune. But, I'm no tuning expert. I just drive the car

Now, for the future, I am going to get a Dyno-jet WBC to datalog my runs and to control the nitrous without a momentary push button. Thus allowing me to concentrate on driving the car.

Good luck with your choice.

Steve