Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Martial Arts...

Old 03-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Famous...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation
Default Martial Arts...

Anyone take any? What are the best schools and teachers in the area?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 PM

slither slither slither slither slither slither
Default Re: Martial Arts...

I took it when I was younger. I also lifted weights some when younger. I have gotten back into lifting bigtime in the last year. You ever lifted? To me I feel like I got a lot more out of it than martial arts I took. When I took it though, there were no "good" schools, now you have MMA schools, mui thi(spelling??) etc...
I know, not really helping your post, just letting ya know that there are a few of us out here that will recommend lifting over martial arts. Im sure you will like whatever you decide to do though
Goodluck with it man!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:13 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

I did for roughly 4 years when I was a bit younger...

I studied under Eddie Thomas, mainly. He trained with Chuck Norris. Yes, I'm serious.

I plan to get involved in kung fu in the near future, and I've been wanting to get more involved in BJJ.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by slither
I took it when I was younger. I also lifted weights some when younger. I have gotten back into lifting bigtime in the last year. You ever lifted? To me I feel like I got a lot more out of it than martial arts I took. When I took it though, there were no "good" schools, now you have MMA schools, mui thi(spelling??) etc...
I know, not really helping your post, just letting ya know that there are a few of us out here that will recommend lifting over martial arts. Im sure you will like whatever you decide to do though
Goodluck with it man!
Martial arts does so much more than just change your physical appearance. It also teaches you discipline, which is key.

How can you compare martial arts to weight lifting?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM

slither slither slither slither slither slither

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Martial arts does so much more than just change your physical appearance. It also teaches you discipline, which is key.

How can you compare martial arts to weight lifting?
Lifting will also change other aspects of your life. Not saying one is better than the other, just what I chose. Ive seen people get big into weight lifting that became better people in general and Ive seen the opposite. This holds true for martial arts also. Just giving him my input. But hell, I say if he has time do both LOL
Old 03-06-2007, 03:18 AM
Famous...

I studied under Eddie Thomas, mainly. He trained with Chuck Norris. Yes, I'm serious.

I plan to get involved in kung fu in the near future, and I've been wanting to get more involved in BJJ.
I'd love to do Muay Thai, Wushu, BJJ, or something like that. Find a school somewhere and go with me. I would hate to go somewhere and not know anyone.

I heard there is a school that teaches Wushu (Kung Fu) on Williamson road but I have never saw it I don't think. I haven't heard of any Muay Thai or BJJ schools around.

About weightlifting, I am doing a little now. I don't care about getting big. I just want a workout, lose some weight, get stronger, and be able to kick some ass.

Last edited by rotorsownyou7; 03-06-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:15 AM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by rotorsownyou7
I'd love to do Muay Thai, Wushu, BJJ, or something like that. Find a school somewhere and go with me. I would hate to go somewhere and not know anyone.

I heard there is a school that teaches Wushu (Kung Fu) on Williamson road but I have never saw it I don't think. I haven't heard of any Muay Thai or BJJ schools around.

About weightlifting, I am doing a little now. I don't care about getting big. I just want a workout, lose some weight, get stronger, and be able to kick some ass.

That kung fu dojo is owned and run by a friends father! I highly recommend it. You know where the rental place is near GoMart? Keep your eyes peeled on that side of the road. You'll see a sign.

I've been involved in weight lifting and martial arts both, and suggest both, but martial arts > weightlifting. I agree that both are great ideas, and you're that much better off if you do both.

BTW, there is also a muay thai/bjj school on Williamson as well if I recall correctly.

Anyway, let me know what you decide to do. I'm definitely getting reinvolved with martial arts again. It was an important part of my life, and not so much because you're able to "kick peoples asses." It also, believe it or not, teaches you to think faster... to make smarter decisions... react faster... have more self discipline... more respect... etc.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 AM
Famous...

That kung fu dojo is owned and run by a friends father! I highly recommend it. You know where the rental place is near GoMart? Keep your eyes peeled on that side of the road. You'll see a sign.

I've been involved in weight lifting and martial arts both, and suggest both, but martial arts > weightlifting. I agree that both are great ideas, and you're that much better off if you do both.

BTW, there is also a muay thai/bjj school on Williamson as well if I recall correctly.

Anyway, let me know what you decide to do. I'm definitely getting reinvolved with martial arts again. It was an important part of my life, and not so much because you're able to "kick peoples asses." It also, believe it or not, teaches you to think faster... to make smarter decisions... react faster... have more self discipline... more respect... etc.

If you have some time, see if you can find out if there is a muay thai/bjj school. If not, I wouldn't mind going to the other one. A friend's father? Cool. See if you can find out something about it. I am new to martial arts, never took any classes. You think it would be a good start? I need something from the beginning but I don't want to learn bullshit like karate.

Also, I'm a good sized dude (fatass). EDIT: Just weighed in at 227 lbs. Damn I need to lose some weight! I have been working out and have gotten down to 227 from 241... So 14 lbs. I need to get in around 200-210.

Last edited by rotorsownyou7; 03-06-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Famous...

So Zero, which one do you want to do? Hell, I want to do both. Too bad I'm probably not fit enough. Actually, no way I am fit enough.

http://www.shaolindragons.org/

http://www.hybridfighting.homestead.com/
Old 03-06-2007, 10:29 AM
rogve

Spicylikcajun is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoa, i was at Jhoon Rhee...i used to compete in Eddie's tournament every year.