Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Martial Arts...

Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpoolnSRT4 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Martial Arts...

Originally Posted by rotorsownyou7
So Zero, which one do you want to do? Hell, I want to do both. Too bad I'm probably not fit enough. Actually, no way I am fit enough.

http://www.shaolindragons.org/

http://www.hybridfighting.homestead.com/

If you do any of those 2 I recommend Hybrid ..... They had a few good fighters in the Ruckus in the cage.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts98coupe is infamous around these parts

http://jamesdhouston.net/

He is pretty nasty at karate. Owns New River Fitness.

http://nrvbjj.com/

MMA fighting, They train at The One Martial Arts and Fitness at New River Valley Mall. Also trains at New River Fitness.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by Spicylikcajun
Whoa, i was at Jhoon Rhee...i used to compete in Eddie's tournament every year.
Seriously?

IMO, Eddie is pretty amazing! A lot of people seem to blow off that style of martial arts because it's not the current trend, but I really learned a lot from him and have a great deal of respect for him. He's very dedicated.

I wonder if we've competed at the same tournament... How long ago was this?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Nada

str8jakett will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 98coupe
http://jamesdhouston.net/

He is pretty nasty at karate. Owns New River Fitness.

I trained under James Houston from age 12 to 16, weird to see he has a website. I hadn't seen him in years till I ran into him in a bar in Radford last year.

Last edited by str8jakett; 03-06-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Famous...

rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SpoolnSRT4
If you do any of those 2 I recommend Hybrid ..... They had a few good fighters in the Ruckus in the cage.
So I here. I might try to go there. Looks awesome. What do you think Adam, want to do one of those? I'm going to get started soon.

Last edited by rotorsownyou7; 03-06-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:36 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

It all depends, really... I don't know if the same thing would work for me that works for you. I have a chaotic work schedule and work second shift, and work every other weekend. That makes it hard to plan for any sort of class, especially martial arts.

Hybrid is cool.. I've heard good things. You also might want to talk to David at Shaolin! Super cool guy.

If you're entry level, anything is going to be a good start for you. Don't try to jump into it head first. You really want someone teaching you that's going to be precise, and specific, but also patient. You don't want someone to make you feel stupid if you do something wrong or act like you're supposed to automatically know what to do or how to do it.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Famous...

rotorsownyou7 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
It all depends, really... I don't know if the same thing would work for me that works for you. I have a chaotic work schedule and work second shift, and work every other weekend. That makes it hard to plan for any sort of class, especially martial arts.

Hybrid is cool.. I've heard good things. You also might want to talk to David at Shaolin! Super cool guy.

If you're entry level, anything is going to be a good start for you. Don't try to jump into it head first. You really want someone teaching you that's going to be precise, and specific, but also patient. You don't want someone to make you feel stupid if you do something wrong or act like you're supposed to automatically know what to do or how to do it.

I'm going to talk to both and see. I like both styles. I'll see if I can get some more info on both. Their schedules are about the same. Second shift? Damn, you'll be at work when they have classes then right? Anyway, if you are interested, let me know. I'm getting into one of these soon if they sound alright.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:43 PM
wub wub wub wub

I'm looking around for another employer at the moment... I can't work this shift anymore, and I'm not happy here. If things pan out in the near future, maybe I'll get back into it with you.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Slowbra Driver

D1g1tal V3n0m is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to Hybrid. I used to go there for lessons in BJJ and Muay Thai. Good school
Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 PM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by D1g1tal V3n0m
Go to Hybrid. I used to go there for lessons in BJJ and Muay Thai. Good school
No you didn't.

You played with doll houses and My Little Pony's.

...We played together, thilly!