Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Muffler Tickets

Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Dont guess, diagnose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入 連続注入
Default Re: Muffler Tickets

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
you got an exhaust ticket for a bone stock exhaust, from a hatch?

I've heard people swap to a GSR exhaust/muffler, and it made a little more noise.. but I just can't imagine it being 'loud' without holes in it.
No, I got it from the Tanabe exhaust I have, the muffler is in the shop. I modified a OEM hatchback muffler to fit my coupe. Had to weld about 6" of piping on to get the hangers to line up properly. Also had to turn the flange about 20 degrees to get it straight also.

Otherwise the muffler would have been all crooked.

Originally Posted by robb1887
I think he meant he had a loud muffler then had a shop swap a free muffler in to get the ticket dropped.
1/2 way right. I do all my own work . I have my own welder ftmfw!

Last edited by 連続注入; 08-13-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:56 PM
d-series

AllMyEx's has disabled reputation

Have had 2 tickets in my civic,both by state police,both in the past 6 months.This exhaust has been on my car since 2002 and I am just getting tickets!why now?....(my thoughts)because its the law and with so many of us(modifying cars i/h/e)it has become profitable for the state to issue (us)tickets.My only problem with this is all the pick-ups with dual exhaust (insert any muffler company) and the long chrome dual exhaust tips, they are clearly modified exhaust systems and make more sound than factory thus making them illegal.If they are not getting tickets then it is clearly profiling!I dont think anyone should get a ticket for the way they choose to do their exhaust but it should be enforced all around if your going to enforce it!I am running a stock s2k muffler now so alls good (sounds good)sorry for the rant just had to get it off my chest! peace, Brandon

Last edited by AllMyEx's; 08-13-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Automotive Slave

FiascoXL has disabled reputation

it's a shame when it comes to being pulled over for a "bling bling" exhaust if you will, i mean i was with dsm93gsx when we got pulled over. his car isnt nearly half as loud as the NA cars around here. For example as the car was being searched, im gonna say about a 68? chevy pickup rolled into the bank atm beside us, and that damn thing was way louder then 3 in ex. on the gsx. I made a smart ass remark about the truck being twice as loud as the dsm but the cop ignored me like usual. if your gonna be a cop be a cop, if you r gonna be a di*k head do it on your own time!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by FiascoXL
it's a shame when it comes to being pulled over for a "bling bling" exhaust if you will, i mean i was with dsm93gsx when we got pulled over. his car isnt nearly half as loud as the NA cars around here. For example as the car was being searched, im gonna say about a 68? chevy pickup rolled into the bank atm beside us, and that damn thing was way louder then 3 in ex. on the gsx. I made a smart ass remark about the truck being twice as loud as the dsm but the cop ignored me like usual. if your gonna be a cop be a cop, if you r gonna be a di*k head do it on your own time!
i probably got about ten exhaust tickets in the mid to late 90s,before modded imports were everywhere.i really stood out,so cops loved me.several times i questioned a loud truck or Mustang riding by as i was pulled over.if i even got a reply,it was that those vehicles have V8s in them,so they can only be so quiet.my car has a 4 cylinder,and shouldn't make any noise at all.

it's beyond me why we don't have a set sound limit.the officer determining if it's too loud is just asking for them to be biased.
chris
Old 08-14-2007, 04:22 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

It does not have anything to do with being too loud so to speak. Any alterations of the exhaust could get you a ticket. That includes aftermarket oem style mufflers. In a nutshell; if it is not the original exhaust system that you can get from the dealer... it's illegal. Even the small thing of adding a tip to the factory exhaust is technically illegal.

Do officers enforce that? Nope, but they could if they wanted to.

I agree that they tend to pick on imports cars. When I had my talon I was averaging at least 1 exhaust ticket/month because of a certain state trooper in botetourt that pulled me over everytime he saw me. Since getting my 4runner I have also changed the exhaust and I have not been pulled over once. Is it fair? Probably not, but you guys know the law and it is your decision to put those mufflers on it. So pay the ticket and quit bitching about it or change your exhaust.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:27 AM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Do yourself a favor, and get a stock appearing painted black muffler put on. You will stop getting harassed as they can't prove the exhaust is modded immediately because there is no flashy "bling bling" end muffler that shines back at them. Since I've done this i haven't had any problems.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 AM
ded
slo truk

ded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond reputeded has a reputation beyond repute

Or just buy a domestic My truck sets off car alarms two rows away and I've never been hassled for having a loud exhaust

(sorry, no one said it yet, so I had to)
Old 08-14-2007, 08:03 AM
i <3 my neon

TheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the rough

drive an srt4, we get harrassed with stock exhaust
Old 08-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Seeing as the OP is from Staunton, most cops up there love writing tickets. I had a buddy a few years back drive his hatch back up there and get pulled over for alter suspension and exhaust. The cop literally made him leave the car parked in Staunton and ride home with a friend. He had to have the car towed home.

I've never had a problem driving up there but I drive normal. Most kids up there are ragging the shit out of their cars through town.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by cootees
Is it fair? Probably not, but you guys know the law and it is your decision to put those mufflers on it. So pay the ticket and quit bitching about it or change your exhaust.
agreed.
it's not fair that they pick on imports,but the exhaust is illegal.everybody on this thread knows that,and if they continue to run them,it's hard to bitch about getting a ticket.would you be surprised if you rode around with a broken tail light and ended up getting a ticket?
as said above-either go back to stock,or be as stealthy as possible,and hope for the best.i've got the lowest noise muffler i can get on my hatch that still meets my flow needs.no tip,painted black.my coupe has an exhaust that's as quiet as stock,and a cutout after the downpipe.no problems since i swapped to those setups,and it's been years(and i ride around with teh cutout open 99% of the time on the coupe).
shiny mufflers with big tips are for ricers anyway.
Chris

Quick Reply: Muffler Tickets