Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Muffler Tickets

Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 PM
FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GuNnErgOd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Muffler Tickets

I have open downpipe with my stock exhaust still hanging on my car. Around July 4th a state trooper busted me on 81 in botetourt. Unless you have a big ass canister in the back it's easy to play dumb, especially with an open downpipe turbo car.

"Oh yes Officer I think I hit a small child back there, now there's a hole in my exhaust!"
Old 08-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

mxracer145 has disabled reputation

cops in staunton have a hard-on for imports period.
i was driving thru there one night doing nothing wrong and got pulled over for my head lights being to bright.
i have 100% legal piaa bulbs in the car. with the papers to prove they legal. but anyway they then tryed to tell me that my all stock honda exhaust was to loud and tried to give me a ticket for stock exhaust. it even reads honda on the muffler. they got all up under my car and everything. finally after about an hour they let me go...
dont go thru staunton if your not stuff isn't legal..
thats for sure.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

SVTParatrooper SVTParatrooper

Originally Posted by bad360rt
Or just buy a domestic My truck sets off car alarms two rows away and I've never been hassled for having a loud exhaust

(sorry, no one said it yet, so I had to)
LOL, +1, my truck is pretty damn deep and loud too. I do agree that they single out the imports alot (and have been doing it for years). Years ago I had a '94 Mustang GT w/ a offroad x-pipe, Flowmaster catback, and no tailpipes. My friend had a '94 civic hatch and got pulled over one night in the same parking lot that I was hanging out in. I started my car up as he was issueing the ticket and he just looked at me real quick, handed my friend the ticket, and drove off.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Automotive Slave

FiascoXL has disabled reputation

look at it this way. why say all aftermarket exhaust are illegal when they do nothing but suppress the exhaust note. so my case in point is why dont they just check the DB's coming from the friggin pipe instead saying all are illegal-dumb if you ask me. a muffler has nothing to do wit emission's so what would be the prob?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:10 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by FiascoXL
look at it this way. why say all aftermarket exhaust are illegal when they do nothing but suppress the exhaust note. so my case in point is why dont they just check the DB's coming from the friggin pipe instead saying all are illegal-dumb if you ask me. a muffler has nothing to do wit emission's so what would be the prob?
that's my point.practically every other traffic law is cut and dry.
only problem i see with a set sound limit is it will encourage all cops to start enforcing it.you do have the few cops around here with a hard-on for giving these tickets,but i've also talked to a few who say the law is too vague,so they usually don't even bother.i think most only pull you if it's just stupid loud.if a sound law passed,you'd get harassed nonstop until you swapped to a legal setup-i don't think you could ride around with a louder exhaust and only get stopped by that one dickhead every so often;you'd be getting stopped every day by every cop.

once Hillary's in office i'm sure she'll mandate federal emmissions laws,so we'll be smogging and having to have CARB numbers for every part anyway in a couple years
Chris
Old 08-16-2007, 05:05 AM
Registered Member

sidewaysfox is an unknown quantity at this point

[

once Hillary's in office i'm sure she'll mandate federal emmissions laws,so we'll be smogging and having to have CARB numbers for every part anyway in a couple years

god save us all......
Old 08-16-2007, 05:10 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

If she's elected, I might consider taking a job outside of the country! lol
Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 AM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....

Well, knock on wood, i've been around cops numerous times ever since I got my exhaust done, no probs yet.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

sidewaysfox is an unknown quantity at this point

YEAH, just like the NORML slogan.....
canada....looking better everyday.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough