Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need a car

Old 11-27-2004, 09:14 PM
bring ding ding ding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choodle has disabled reputation
Default Re: Need a car

Highly doubt a 547 is gonna fit. Biggest I've seen in an S-10, especially a 94 and up is a twin turbo 400sb. Traction wouldn't be a huge thing to deal with if I could just figure out how to get 50/50 weight distribution in a truck. A whole lot of bricks? haha. Maybe I'll hire a mason to custom make a bar-b-que for my bed and make it an 8 second tailgating machine.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:30 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

a big block will fit. just takes ALOT of cutting.

as for the weight distribution.....well....the later model trucks are hard anyhow cause of firewall clearance....but move the engine back about 6". of course, that means you have to make a new firewall....

at least you can move the engine back in them. unlike my new project, which has a 3" driveshaft, so i cant do that.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:17 AM
bring ding ding ding

Choodle has disabled reputation

Found a 1Ga TSi AWD Talon. Only problem is, its an automatic. Descent paint, good body, good interior. He's wanting $1000 for it. Good buy? I just don't know how long I can stand an automatic for. Can't even launch it hard so whats the point of having AWD?
Old 11-30-2004, 05:27 AM
<3FreshieFresh<3

ZeRo_C0oL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Choodle
Found a 1Ga TSi AWD Talon. Only problem is, its an automatic. Descent paint, good body, good interior. He's wanting $1000 for it. Good buy? I just don't know how long I can stand an automatic for. Can't even launch it hard so whats the point of having AWD?
uhh, yes you can.. of course you can launch an automatic AWD car hard! brake boost! a lot of drag cars are actually automatics.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:54 AM
beep beep

Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie Marie

hmmmmmm where did you find it..I REALLY need a car dont care if its an auto. as long its not a honda or ford i'll take it
Old 11-30-2004, 06:45 AM

elementalwindx has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ZeRo_C0oL
uhh, yes you can.. of course you can launch an automatic AWD car hard! brake boost! a lot of drag cars are actually automatics.
the top 3 fastest drag cars are auto Sheps car is an auto. www.dsmtimes.org baby :-D fastest t-25 time is in the 12's lol too bad im not awd
Old 11-30-2004, 06:52 AM
<3FreshieFresh<3

ZeRo_C0oL is an unknown quantity at this point

as much as I love having control over my shifts, launches, etc.. it makes more sense to have a beefy automatic if you're going to do a straight drag car. you remove a variable, and your going to have a much more consistent launch and time in my opinion. don't let your pride hold you down.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

srt4hokie is on a distinguished road

Two things to understand before you get all happy about automatics. First, production automatics especially in FWD and AWD cars are not the same things as what is used in drag racing. They can’t handle as much power and have more parasitic power loss. The second thing is a racing automatic has a manual valve body so you have to manually shift it. It simply requires no clutch to launch or shift. Now the up side is you get perfect launches and little to no lag…

A racing transmission for my car would run around 8K.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo

Yes. The fastest WRX's in the world are AT cars as well. However, none of them run the stock transmission...

For that matter, the fastest drag cars in the world only use a single speed. No transmission whatsoever...
Old 11-30-2004, 11:03 AM

elementalwindx has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cosmo
Yes. The fastest WRX's in the world are AT cars as well. However, none of them run the stock transmission...

For that matter, the fastest drag cars in the world only use a single speed. No transmission whatsoever...

yepyep I love the shep racing trannies. Best bang for the buck trannywise if ya ask me. For eclipses at least

Quick Reply: Need a car