Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need tires, need recommendations.....

Old 12-22-2003, 05:04 PM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

the 555 is a VERY good all around tire. i have over 10k miles on mine, and have almost all tread left. of course, no tire is gonna last with excessive driving/alignment issues. the Azeni's, while being a damn sticky tire, SUCK in the wet, and wear out fast!

Kuhmos are a cheap tire. you get what you pay for....they are decent, if you are on a budget. i have yet to find a Potenza that has a good mix of wear and stickiness. the RE070 comes on the STi, i think, and i have seen good numbers from it for stickieness...but are shot in about 5-8k miles.

the NT450 from Nitto is a good harder tire, with AWESOME wet traction. i had them on my wagon for 7k miles, and they have another 8k on them on another subaru. still in good shape, with about 6/32 left. again, they didnt stick as well as the 555's, but they were better in the wet.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:45 PM
KA powered S14

019 is an unknown quantity at this point

it all depends on budget. i assume you're on a college budget, like most of us are, hehe. in which case you'd want something decently cheap. and also assuming that you want summer tires, since you're not gonna be driving your car during winter. so according to luke from tirerack, the budget performance tires go like this:

1. yokohama avs es 100
2. sumitomo htrz II
3. dunlop sp sport fm901
4. sumitomo htrz
5. kumho ecsta supra 712 (best ride quality in this group)

you'll notice azenis missing and that's because tirerack doesn't sell falken's (or nitto for that matter). the azenis are definitely awesome for the price, if you can live with hydroplaning, hehe.

i have the es100 on my car right now and love them, but have yet to take them to the limit. never really got a chance cuz the 1 autox i was gonna test them at, it was raining. they do give pretty good wet traction.

but there's plenty of tires out there. just about most of everything that's been mentioned in this post would probably be satisfying enough for you
Old 12-22-2003, 09:48 PM
f'n bat country son!

DaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the rough

Im running Pirelli Pzero Neros and I have no complaints. They are a HUGE increase in performance over the stock Bridgestone RE92s that came on the car. They have pretty good wet traction and are great in the dry.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:57 AM
BOOST!

Goofynick6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bridgestone all terrains....

....you've seen his car; off-road only!

haha, j/k

NIck
Old 12-23-2003, 05:26 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

blizzak y0!
Old 12-23-2003, 05:48 AM
mi-4.com

Mi4Dub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DaLuded
Im running Pirelli Pzero Neros and I have no complaints. They are a HUGE increase in performance over the stock Bridgestone RE92s that came on the car. They have pretty good wet traction and are great in the dry.
i also hae pZero nero M+S and drove it through snow, rain, cold and hot. it takes about good 2k miles to break in. wide grooves tend to sink in the cracks of road.(new) now its all around performer. it will give you better tread wear than most above noted tires. only better tire i can think of it will be goodyear F1's
good luck finding the right tire for your car
Old 12-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

So the Ecsta supras arent that great? In the past 2 days ive heard good things about them, and for 86 bucks a tire brand new that seems like a damn good deal.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:29 AM
BOOST!

Goofynick6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm ridin' on the Hankook whatever's...lol. They're quiet and grip decently. Good prices on www.discounttiredirect.com

Nick
Old 12-23-2003, 02:27 PM
Jerome LeBanner Fan

weavil has disabled reputation

Originally posted by FutureProspect
Awsome
Awesome.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:14 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

I have BF goodrich G Force KDW tires and i have to say that they kick ass. awesome in the rain and dry

Quick Reply: Need tires, need recommendations.....