Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

New Intake Manifold

Old 07-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of
Default New Intake Manifold

Section is dead, so I figured I'd post up a pic of the new intake manifold my gf and I put on her 3g..

I port matched it and cleaned up some casting marks and such on the inside (it def. need port matching, the upper section was off by about 1-2mm around the entire circumference!). We purchased it already powerdercoated..

Anyways, its a GTS manifold, which has a MUCH larger plenum (GT manifold has a plenum about the size of a D16 Civics lol, no joke), dual runners (butterfly valves gutted), and equal length runners (no, the GT did not..)

Old 07-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo Cosmo
Default Re: New Intake Manifold

You forgot the most important part.... how does it run?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:48 PM
wtb scoobie snacks

musicmaniac is on a distinguished road

watch out for those screamin ghosts they will sneak up on you
Old 07-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cosmo
You forgot the most important part.... how does it run?
Oh yea

It's hard to tell the acceleration difference, I guess it would be hard to tell a 5-10 whp difference, but it seems to growl a bit more.. Once we tune it well it should make a good difference considering it dipped into the 10.8ish:1 AFR at the dyno haha..

Other than that it has better throttle response, but that could be due to the fact we replace the stock spark plugs that had 60k on them
Old 07-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by musicmaniac
watch out for those screamin ghosts they will sneak up on you
hahaha..
Old 07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Nice G-Man!

Not sure if I ever told you or not, but it was great to meet you and your girl after all this time. We'll have to ride together sometime, for sure. I've got a few people from my new office trying to come along for a ride one day. I figured we could hit 311 and go up through Eagle Rock and swoop back around.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:50 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Nice G-Man!

Not sure if I ever told you or not, but it was great to meet you and your girl after all this time. We'll have to ride together sometime, for sure. I've got a few people from my new office trying to come along for a ride one day. I figured we could hit 311 and go up through Eagle Rock and swoop back around.

Congrats on the new employment.....

So were you at now
Old 07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

A larger intake plenum as you described would actually impede the throttle response. Why did you gut the butterfies? Id imagine you are aiming for topend power, but was there a seriously significant issue with top end power drop off with your manifold previously? Perhaps you had no way of operating the secondaries?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
A larger intake plenum as you described would actually impede the throttle response. Why did you gut the butterfies? Id imagine you are aiming for topend power, but was there a seriously significant issue with top end power drop off with your manifold previously? Perhaps you had no way of operating the secondaries?
I don't know, the change is noticeable, maybe its the new plugs, since the old ones had 60k on them

I will post a pic of the stock intake manifold and you will see why lol..

you are also right about its operation, although I could have come up with something, I wanted to take them out.. different car, same idea, but check out these dyno's of butterfly valves removed in these cars..

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=662051

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1310148
Old 07-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
Nice G-Man!

Yea nice meeting you too, even though we kinda did before at that VW meet and didnt know it haha..

Yea we do need to ride, sounds like a good plan

Quick Reply: New Intake Manifold