Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

New Intake Manifold

Old 07-12-2006, 06:39 PM
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: New Intake Manifold

Originally Posted by GaRn
Yea nice meeting you too, even though we kinda did before at that VW meet and didnt know it haha..

Yea we do need to ride, sounds like a good plan

Yeah.. I know. We sort of met
Old 07-12-2006, 06:40 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by AMDxp2000
Congrats on the new employment.....

So were you at now
Been there for 3 1/2 weeks or maybe 4 1/2..
Old 07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GaRn
I don't know, the change is noticeable, maybe its the new plugs, since the old ones had 60k on them

I will post a pic of the stock intake manifold and you will see why lol..

you are also right about its operation, although I could have come up with something, I wanted to take them out.. different car, same idea, but check out these dyno's of butterfly valves removed in these cars..

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=662051

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1310148
With them removed you are sure to have some slight topend gains in the very high rpm ranges where you normally would have had pressure drop occuring before. However, to me I would have aimed for more torque and had the slight power loss down low. If I were aiming for all out topend gains then I would simply go for a sheetmetal manifold of some sort. I suppose as long as you enjoy it, its fine, I'm just giving my opinion.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

so did the gt-s and gt also have different sized tb's? It seems to me that if the gt-s had larger runner it would also have a slightly larger tb.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
With them removed you are sure to have some slight topend gains in the very high rpm ranges where you normally would have had pressure drop occuring before. However, to me I would have aimed for more torque and had the slight power loss down low. If I were aiming for all out topend gains then I would simply go for a sheetmetal manifold of some sort. I suppose as long as you enjoy it, its fine, I'm just giving my opinion.
I'm sure there will be a very minor effect of torque down low, because with the upper/mid/lower sections together, the runners are still ungodly long, which is a big downside to the 3g 6g72 imo.. I think a sheetmetal IM might be a bit extreme for the car as it sits, but it would be nice hehe

I guess I will just have to wait for the next dyno, but I can't fell any loss down low really

Originally Posted by cootees
so did the gt-s and gt also have different sized tb's? It seems to me that if the gt-s had larger runner it would also have a slightly larger tb.
You would think so, but unfortunately they don't They both have 60mm TB's and we were going to go with a 65mm TB from a Diamante 3.5l, but I couldn't locate one and we were in too much of a rush to get this IM on that we didnt wanna wait to find one to match up the inlet and all..

60mm should be plenty large, its the same size as 1g turbo DSM's I think..
Old 07-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Stock Plenum

Attached Thumbnails New Intake Manifold-img_0221.jpg  
Old 07-14-2006, 05:56 AM
Registered Member

16g-95gsx is an unknown quantity at this point

60mm is the same size as a 1g DSM, you're right, but we are under boost conditions, so the actual air mass flowing through the TB is far larger for the same throttle size.

That's a tiny plenum for sure. Im sure there are topend gains to be had by simply increasing its size.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:58 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by 16g-95gsx
60mm is the same size as a 1g DSM, you're right, but we are under boost conditions, so the actual air mass flowing through the TB is far larger for the same throttle size.

That's a tiny plenum for sure. Im sure there are topend gains to be had by simply increasing its size.
I figured you would laugh when you saw the stock one, lol, it REALLY is about the size of a D16 in a civic..

The new one is about 1.5 times the size or so
Old 07-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Ivy Tadita

cootees will become famous soon enoughcootees will become famous soon enough

thread hijack: adam empty your pm box!!

back on topic...
Old 07-15-2006, 12:26 AM
ZOR - WE'RE BACK!

cole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these parts

Quick Reply: New Intake Manifold