Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Please keep in your thoughts

Old 01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Re: Please keep in your thoughts

Originally Posted by derangedazn
I agree with punishing the kid, but solely blaming the parents is a little extreme.
You don't think the parents have anything to do with it at all? Wow. No one said the parents had to have packed a switchblade in his lunch box, but my God.... do you think kids just automatically learn right from wrong? No. Poor parenting is a big part of the reason why there are so many shitheads in the world today.

Totally irrelevant, but if I'm out to dinner one more time and a family of six comes in with a screaming baby who they ignore at the dinner table hoping it will eventually get tired of screaming and crying... I might be doing a violent crime of my own! (Not literally for those who can't distinguish the difference between internet and reality) But fuck... Bad parenting has a LOT to do with it. You say friends and peer pressure have more to do with it than parenting? How were they hanging out with those friends that were such a bad influence to begin with? Did mommy and daddy drop the kid off at the mall to hang out with those people? Did mommy and daddy meet the friends? Do they know anything about them? It's simple. When I was that age my parents knew a LOT about the people I hung out with because they cared. They weren't up my ass about everything because they didn't have to be, but they were involved.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm so thirsty

drunkard drunkard drunkard drunkard drunkard drunkard

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work
You don't think the parents have anything to do with it at all? Wow. No one said the parents had to have packed a switchblade in his lunch box, but my God.... do you think kids just automatically learn right from wrong? No. Poor parenting is a big part of the reason why there are so many shitheads in the world today.

Totally irrelevant, but if I'm out to dinner one more time and a family of six comes in with a screaming baby who they ignore at the dinner table hoping it will eventually get tired of screaming and crying... I might be doing a violent crime of my own! (Not literally for those who can't distinguish the difference between internet and reality) But fuck... Bad parenting has a LOT to do with it. You say friends and peer pressure have more to do with it than parenting? How were they hanging out with those friends that were such a bad influence to begin with? Did mommy and daddy drop the kid off at the mall to hang out with those people? Did mommy and daddy meet the friends? Do they know anything about them? It's simple. When I was that age my parents knew a LOT about the people I hung out with because they cared. They weren't up my ass about everything because they didn't have to be, but they were involved.
I agree that parenting has a good bit to do with it, but I have seen both sides of the arguments. I personally know one family with wonderful parents, good christian values that were instilled in their children. The son decided to beat the ever living shit out of a kid in high school, because him and his friend thought it was cool to pick on some poor defenseless kid. Mind you this was at a Private High School as well. In this case, would you blame the parents?
Old 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by derangedazn
I agree that parenting has a good bit to do with it, but I have seen both sides of the arguments. I personally know one family with wonderful parents, good christian values that were instilled in their children. The son decided to beat the ever living shit out of a kid in high school, because him and his friend thought it was cool to pick on some poor defenseless kid. Mind you this was at a Private High School as well. In this case, would you blame the parents?
Truthfully, yes, I probably would. I'm not going to sit here and pick apart someones family to determine what was going on in the background to actually cause this to happen... but I guarantee you if they took the kid to get counseling the counselor would determine that the parents were at least partially responsible, directly or indirectly. That's what it boils down to.

Good kids are generally good for a reason... it's typically not just something that comes natural.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:26 AM
Is Watching You

litlespicisgay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ZeRo_c0oL@work

Totally irrelevant, but if I'm out to dinner one more time and a family of six comes in with a screaming baby who they ignore at the dinner table hoping it will eventually get tired of screaming and crying... I might be doing a violent crime of my own! involved.
That is the largest pet peave I have. The bad part is, if you say something to the parents you are viewed as the dick head.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

Society has gone to shit, I swear, 50% of the people I see walk around like bad ass thugs with their chins in the air with ego's out the roof.

I think the Vietnam era, "flowerchilds" and carefree attitudes (aka carefree childraising techniques), and free thinking/openmindedness to an extreme are to blame.

The other 49% of the people I see are a bunch of sheep walking around in their own little bubble world (you know, the people that walk out of walmart without looking left or right, while talking on the cell phone with their two kids following 5ft behind).

Doesn't leave much room for self thinking, intelligent, and morally sound people.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 AM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Letze
I understand the anger of having experienced this...

but working with "correctional kids" the current correctional program is... stick them with other troubled/violent people I have learned that this just makes things worse

When they do get out they will repeat the offense, no question about it. instead you keep the kid under a house arrest and have physiological evaluation (at the parents expense) and you will start to condition the kid NOT to act violently, its never garunteed to work but its possible. why? I work for the Roanoke City Schools I see kids every day fight and steal stuff you stick them with other kids who do the same crap and they just want to do more to be "better" than the other kids they are stuck with.

Our current government way of dealing with things is putting them away and ignoring them... doesn't even work in theory...

Hope Jeri makes a full and speedy recovery

I thought you were still in high school....and working for the city isnt an real job.......
Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 AM
GT-Four Guy

Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze

College and I know Aint it great!?
Old 01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
It tilts

AMDxp2000 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Letze
College and I know Aint it great!?
God shit changes in an split...one day your 15 and bitchen about the system and now your 22 and working for the system