Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Post pics of your ride!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired
Default Re: Post pics of your ride!

Originally Posted by Nism0 B14
dont you dare put a JDM front end on there. Everybody and their mother has a JDM front Integra....

some of those honda guys run unnecessarily large turbos...
There's a reason for that...... it looks mad jdm tyte yo But in all seriousness I do think it looks much better and I'd do it not because it's JDM or whatever but just because I like the look

Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by .Sarge.
Haha Corey, yeah I know. Im not one of those Honda guys. :P I like a wide power band too much.

Now this is going to be one hell of a pricy turbo but its exactly what you want as far as power production and will spool really quick.

The GT28RS. Do it right and you'll thank me later. :P That will get you around the 300whp mark depending on the boost you run.
Hadn't considered making my own kit but I like the idea, here's a list of what I'll need along with ebay prices for reference

Turbo - $690
HKS BOV - $160
FMIC Intercooler + Piping - $200 (are FMICs fairly universal? if not a ti specific one might be expensive)
Turbo Exhaust Manifold - $361
Downpipe - $68 (assuming you just need the stock downpipe for your engine)
Fuel regulator - $79
Oil line kit - $100 (again assuming that they are fairly universal)
HKS Boost controller - $100
Maybe a Short shift kit - $221

Anyone see any glaring omissions? I've never built/installed/assembled a turbo kit before and it'd be nice to have someone who knows more than me look over this list and point out what is incorrect.

Edit: had a good laugh at the number of ebay turbo + FMIC systems for the civic for like $300, I wonder if they would even make it out of the parking lot of the shop that installed it.

Last edited by Trunk Impaired; 06-08-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: added to list
Old 06-08-2010, 03:19 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by 98BimmerCompact
Hadn't considered making my own kit but I like the idea, here's a list of what I'll need along with ebay prices for reference

Turbo - $690
HKS BOV - $160
FMIC Intercooler + Piping - $200 (are FMICs fairly universal? if not a ti specific one might be expensive)
Turbo Exhaust Manifold - $361
Downpipe - $68 (assuming you just need the stock downpipe for your engine)
Fuel regulator - $79
Oil line kit - $100 (again assuming that they are fairly universal)
HKS Boost controller - $100
Maybe a Short shift kit - $221

Anyone see any glaring omissions? I've never built/installed/assembled a turbo kit before and it'd be nice to have someone who knows more than me look over this list and point out what is incorrect.

Edit: had a good laugh at the number of ebay turbo + FMIC systems for the civic for like $300, I wonder if they would even make it out of the parking lot of the shop that installed it.
You'll need a wastegate if your turbo isn't internally gated,so around $200-250 there.
The downpipe will have to be custom made,or mod the factory donpipe possibly.
ICs are fairly universal.Just pull off yor bumper cover and measure to see what'll fit within the volume range you need for your HP goal.
I'm assuming you mean FMU by fuel regulator,which is not the best method.You can get a custom chip burned for next to nothing anymore,then get it tuned to get it perfect.
+1 on the Disco Potato.It's a little expensive,but a great turbo for your power goal.
You'll also want a less restrictive exhaust than stock.There's plenty of other odds and ends you'll need along the way,but you have tha major stuff covered.
I've got some good stories from people who have brought me Ebay turbos to build kits with.Housing that break in half,seals that leak at startup,tolerances so bad the wheel is hitting the housing,etc.....Stick with eiter a rebuilt OEM turbo or Garrett.There are other good manufacturers out there,but they're generally more expensive.

Last edited by TNGChris; 06-08-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:25 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Originally Posted by TNGChris
Ypu'll need a wastegate if your turbo isn't internally gated,so around $200-250 there.
ICs are fairly universal.Just pull off yor bumper cover and measure to see what'll fit within the volume range you need for your HP goal.
I'm assuming you mean FMU by fuel regulator,which is not the best method.You can get a custom chip burned for next to nothing anymore,then get it tuned to get it perfect.

I've got some good stories from people who have brought me Ebay turbos to build kits with.Housing that break in half,seals that leak at startup,tolerances so bad the wheel is hitting the housing,etc.....Stick with eiter a rebuilt OEM turbo or Garrett.There are other good manufacturers out there,but they're generally more expensive.
Turbo is internally gated. Sucks about the downpipe. (hardest part will be finding a place to do it) Wonder if anyone has ever done a Ti with a DASC and a turbo. (SC for bottom end power, turbo for middle/top end power)
Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

You'll need a wastegate if your turbo isn't internally gated,so around $200-250 there.
+1 on the Disco Potato.It's a little expensive,but a great turbo for your power goal.
You'll also want a less restrictive exhaust than stock.There's plenty of other odds and ends you'll need along the way,but you have tha major stuff covered.
This is the part that scares me, when/if I do it I'd want to minimize downtime. (maybe i should invest in a beater lol)
Old 06-08-2010, 03:39 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

This is the part that scares me, when/if I do it I'd want to minimize downtime. (maybe i should invest in a beater lol)
That's not a bad idea either way to have a beater.You can definitely make sure you have everything before you get started though,to minimize downtime.
Depending on how backed up I am at the time,I may be able to help with the downpipe and any other fabrication you need done.
Chris
Old 06-08-2010, 04:26 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

That's not a bad idea either way to have a beater.You can definitely make sure you have everything before you get started though,to minimize downtime.
Depending on how backed up I am at the time,I may be able to help with the downpipe and any other fabrication you need done.
Chris
That would be amazing, the only other potential problem I've heard about with turboing Tis is that with the position of the turbo it may hit a motor mount slightly and would need to be ground down a little then reinforced. If i do take you up on the downpipe would you suggest I go with a completely new custom fabricated downpipe or try converting the stock one? (if I go with the stock one I'd buy a different one so I could keep driving mine).
Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 AM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

Turbo is internally gated. Sucks about the downpipe. (hardest part will be finding a place to do it) Wonder if anyone has ever done a Ti with a DASC and a turbo. (SC for bottom end power, turbo for middle/top end power)
I dunno about BMW specifically, but ive seen plenty of Twin-Charged setups(turbo and S/C). It's a bit costly, but it yields amazing results if done correctly. I wouldn't suggest trying such a thing if down time/money are an issue.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Originally Posted by Nism0 B14
I dunno about BMW specifically, but ive seen plenty of Twin-Charged setups(turbo and S/C). It's a bit costly, but it yields amazing results if done correctly. I wouldn't suggest trying such a thing if down time/money are an issue.
eh, there's always more money to be gotten out there in the world, I'm in no big hurry to do this, I want it to be done right. Used Downing Atlantas are around 1700 for the full kit which i believe would basically bolt up and then I change the FMIC to a 2 in 1 out system, mount up the turbo and get it tuned. (obviously it's a bit more complicated than that but that's the general idea)
Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 AM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

eh, there's always more money to be gotten out there in the world, I'm in no big hurry to do this, I want it to be done right. Used Downing Atlantas are around 1700 for the full kit which i believe would basically bolt up and then I change the FMIC to a 2 in 1 out system, mount up the turbo and get it tuned. (obviously it's a bit more complicated than that but that's the general idea)
it's much more complicated than that. The supercharger only feeds the turbo until its spooled, then the S/C is bypassed, and disengaged using an electromagnetic clutch. If it's something you are interested in, i have plenty of info and diagrams you can look at.

Quick Reply: Post pics of your ride!