Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Post pics of your ride!

Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired
Default Re: Post pics of your ride!

Not gonna sell the BMW, I love it too much. I just want it to make 200+ and stay as close to stock weight as possible. I've inquired with a guy from k-conversions about purchasing the kit minus the engine and trans, awaiting a response. Pm Me about the SR swap, if the price is right I'd feel much better buying local than from some website.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:55 PM
GT-Four Guy

Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze Letze

I'll be taking mine on the road wednesday for some shits and giggles, gonna bring it to perfection, right now its got a straight pipe and the drone is driving me insane lol.

cold weather like this and nearly done azinies are making every turn into a drift.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:50 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Originally Posted by Letze
Dammit Corey, now I cant paint my wheels like that or I'll be copying you...
Oh, I think I'll be slightly biting his style. I might say fark it and powder mine hot pink, lol.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:24 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

Originally Posted by Trunk Impaired
Not gonna sell the BMW, I love it too much. I just want it to make 200+ and stay as close to stock weight as possible. I've inquired with a guy from k-conversions about purchasing the kit minus the engine and trans, awaiting a response. Pm Me about the SR swap, if the price is right I'd feel much better buying local than from some website.
Lol, I was just kidding man, I don't have the time or the money to build a CA18DET right now. Plus, I just got my car running tonight..I can't sell my motor yet haha
Old 12-11-2010, 08:53 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by The Nisbro
Lol, I was just kidding man, I don't have the time or the money to build a CA18DET right now. Plus, I just got my car running tonight..I can't sell my motor yet haha
Bugger. Well maybe by the time I have the money you will too lol
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Originally Posted by TNGChris
Is the M44 an iron block engine?Just curious,as the 6 cylinder cars have near perfect weight distribution also,so I can't see how the M44 is much lighter(I know the Ti has slightly less rear weight,but it can't be too much).

My two main concerns:
1-How much is the swap kit for the SR?When I was looking at doing an LSx in my M3,the swap kit cost way more than I could justify.You definitely need to factor in the cost of the complete swap,not just the engine.Also,keep in mind that the placement of the new engine front to back in the chassis will affect weight distribution quite a bit,independent of the actual engine weight.Even if the weight distribution is slightly affected,you still have one of the best handling cars ever made.
2-And keep in mind I'm the biggest proponent of 4 cylinder engienes ever,but there's no way I'd keep a small displacement engine in there.A 200+HP engine is okay in a 2,000lb car.Have you driven a six cylinder E36?I know the SR will have more overall power than the M44,but it's still a small increase really,and may even have less bottom-end power than the M44.Yes,you can easily mod the SR for more power,but factor that into the price also.Even a shitty US M3 swap will be a 30HP gain over an SR,and a huge low-end torque gain.Get into the various Toyota turbo sixes,and you're really talking.....I still think an LSx is the answer(I pray to baby Jesus every night for one),but at a huge cost,although I think from my limited research that the Toyota engines have the same issue of the swap kits being overly expensive too though.....

No way is any of this an abomination.The stock engine is the abomination.

Okay,I think the answer is to sell the BMW,buy an FC RX7 and a $1400 Hinson LSx kit,and even with an old LS1,you'll have 300WHP and possibly less than $5k in the whole getup.

Dammit.
See, the problem is your pricing an entire kit. You could make most of the parts wayyyy cheaper. Only thing you really need to buy is the headers and steering shaft. And the LSx will be a better weight distribution in the e36 chassis than any of the m5x/s5x powerplants.

Trunky, find you a nice m52 swap and throw it in. 328 would be great, get the good zf trans, superb engine(s52 crank fits in there nicely---> 3.0l).
Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 AM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

Originally Posted by Trunk Impaired
Bugger. Well maybe by the time I have the money you will too lol
lol possibly..ill keep you in mind.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo
See, the problem is your pricing an entire kit. You could make most of the parts wayyyy cheaper. Only thing you really need to buy is the headers and steering shaft. And the LSx will be a better weight distribution in the e36 chassis than any of the m5x/s5x powerplants.

).
You're exactly right.I just don't have the time anymore to sit down and fab a bunch of parts(one of the big reasons I'm parting the coupe out instead of finishing it).I can't afford it time-wise to play with mocking up the engine to make mounts,etc...I'd rather be able to just have everything sitting there,to hopefully do it in a weekend-let somebody else do all the R&D.I'm still looking into it as far as buying the mounts and figuring up the time on making the other needed parts,to see if it's worth it,but I doubt it will be(especially since the price of the engines and trannys are going up a lot now too in price with the swaps becoming more popular).I'd really,really love to have an LSx in there,but it looks like a supercharger is the answer right now.Right at 400HP for around $3,500 kills an LSx for the time being.

Chris
Old 12-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Originally Posted by TNGChris
You're exactly right.I just don't have the time anymore to sit down and fab a bunch of parts(one of the big reasons I'm parting the coupe out instead of finishing it).I can't afford it time-wise to play with mocking up the engine to make mounts,etc...I'd rather be able to just have everything sitting there,to hopefully do it in a weekend-let somebody else do all the R&D.I'm still looking into it as far as buying the mounts and figuring up the time on making the other needed parts,to see if it's worth it,but I doubt it will be(especially since the price of the engines and trannys are going up a lot now too in price with the swaps becoming more popular).I'd really,really love to have an LSx in there,but it looks like a supercharger is the answer right now.Right at 400HP for around $3,500 kills an LSx for the time being.

Chris

Big thumbs down on the supercharger TRM stage 1 if you want that kind of power, they can flash obd2, and are expected to be able to ship with obd2 software I think around April-ish. Only downside is $$, but a simple headgasket studs and snail and your ready to take on any of the lsx powered BMtroubleU's
Old 12-12-2010, 11:39 AM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Alright, I need help on my wheels. For now, I'm gonna keep these and just powdercoat em, maybe grab some spacers. What color?

So far I've thought of a neon blue, osha safety blue, hot pink, or even doing em all different colors, ie: hot pink, safety yellow, neon blue, purple...whatever. I just feel like powder coating them something crazy. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Post pics of your ride!