Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Post pics of your ride!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508
Default Re: Post pics of your ride!

Glad to see you are alright.

How many hot laps were you in?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by Johnny508
Glad to see you are alright.

How many hot laps were you in?
Thanks.
Not sure what you're asking?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered member

Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508 Johnny508

Sorry for the confusion.

What tires were you running?

Was this at the end of your session or the beginning?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by Johnny508
Sorry for the confusion.

What tires were you running?

Was this at the end of your session or the beginning?
Oh,I got ya.This was on NT01s,about 5 or 6 laps into a session.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Seems like either a rod nut backed off or there was a bent rod in the engine and it just finally gave up. That much oil that fast would have had to have a ventilated block/pan.

Did you ever run a comp check on that motor?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo
Seems like either a rod nut backed off or there was a bent rod in the engine and it just finally gave up. That much oil that fast would have had to have a ventilated block/pan.

Did you ever run a comp check on that motor?
I did a leakdown test,and all cylinders were in the single digit area.And of course,I replaced all serviceable parts and adjusted the valves.When I put the new oilpan on I took a look around the bottom end.Not like I'd see any potential problems,but I guess what I'm getting at is that everything was extremely clean and the valve lash was in spec-it seemed to be a reasonably well taken care of engine.
I'll know more this weekend,and I'll post an update.
I agree that the block and/or oilpan had to be ventilated to get that much oil,but there was no unusual noise at all.I do know the engine was still pulling hard at WOT when I looked in the mirror and there was already a long trail of smoke.
In the video there is a small pop right after the shift to 5th,but I can't tell if it's engine related,or the usual marble/rubber hitting the fenderwell sound I hear in the video all the time.Either way,my previous experience with catastrophic engine failure includes much more drama as far as noise and parts flying
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Yes, but how fast were you going(how fast the car was moving not how fast your front wheels were moving, I know the story Chris ;-) )when that one happened? When my evo let go at ~130 (on a closed track of course!) there was no sound but ting ting ting on the bottom of the car. And it cut loose about 8k rpm too.

Compression test would have told the story on the rod, leakdown would still be fine.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered member

Yes, but how fast were you going(how fast the car was moving not how fast your front wheels were moving, I know the story Chris ;-) )when that one happened? When my evo let go at ~130 (on a closed track of course!) there was no sound but ting ting ting on the bottom of the car. And it cut loose about 8k rpm too.

Compression test would have told the story on the rod, leakdown would still be fine.
Haha,I was only going about 30MPH(probably 80MPH wheel speed) when the coupe let loose.Of course,9k RPM and 25+ pounds of boost on an internally stock engine will produce some noise and projectiles..
I should have done a compression test.At the time,I was more concerned about ring/cylinder wear,hence the leakdown.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Go Team Marlboro

Understandable on the wear. Damn 'stangs!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered member

Understandable on the wear. Damn 'stangs!
I know-you try to show your ass just a little,and look what happens!On the other hand,if it had to happen,at least it happened in front of a huge crowd,and in a very dramatic fashion.All the Mustang guys were like "that was the best blow-up I've ever seen!"......And then quickly went back to the "fuckin Honda" comments.

Quick Reply: Post pics of your ride!