Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Post pics of your ride!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meh2012 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Post pics of your ride!

Originally Posted by delslow17
Dude, nisbro knows his Shit about nissans so I would def take his word or advice on Nissan stuff.
You do that, put a boost controller on a stock sr20 and crank that shit till you hit 250whp and let me know how that turns out a couple weeks later
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meh2012
You said "250 is easy stock." A turbo uprgrade is not stock. And see how long that stock turbo holds up. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I wouldn't be advising someone on what engine to use and then cite a hp number they can't expect with any margin of safety or durabilty, and then say its "easy stock." A stock sr20 can be a solid, reliable 200hp engine.
225-250whp should be doable with supporting mods and bolt-ons w/ 15-20psi on the stock turbo. Upgrade to the gt28 disco potato and 300whp-350whp should be easily attainable and still spool happy.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:05 PM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TNGChris
Sick!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

You said "250 is easy stock." A turbo uprgrade is not stock. And see how long that stock turbo holds up. I'm not trying to be a dick, but I wouldn't be advising someone on what engine to use and then cite a hp number they can't expect with any margin of safety or durabilty, and then say its "easy stock." A stock sr20 can be a solid, reliable 200hp engine.
You can do 260 on stock turbo all day long.
You do that, put a boost controller on a stock sr20 and crank that shit till you hit 250whp and let me know how that turns out a couple weeks later
AAHHAHAHAHAHAHA Are you serious? I hope this is someone acting like a retard for a joke.

Originally Posted by Race B&on
An LS1 or S54 would be badass but they're a bit too expensive and heavy. I'd be buying premade mounts and wiring harness through k-conversions then sourcing an SR20 elsewhere. Also my power goals aren't really enough to warrant an LS1 or S54, if I could hit 200-250 to the wheels that's already double the power and more than enough for me.
LS1 is close to SR20 weight.

Last edited by TongWoo; 06-08-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by TongWoo
LS1 is close to SR20 weight.
Not to be a pedantic little shit but do you have numbers to back that up because honestly that sounds hard to believe, but even if they were the Vorshlag kit alone costs $3500 then factor in having the custom driveshaft shortened, actually buying an LS1, custom exhaust, then having the wiring and everything done and it's WAY above what I would want to spend just for 250whp. It's down to the SR or a 302 at this point, the 302 sounds like the cheapest and easiest option at this point.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

delslow17 is a jewel in the roughdelslow17 is a jewel in the roughdelslow17 is a jewel in the roughdelslow17 is a jewel in the roughdelslow17 is a jewel in the rough

Well I don't have an sr20, but I have done research on them and you can get 200 out of them. And nisbro and tongwoo kno there stuff about nissans so is listen to them just sayin......
Old 06-08-2011, 07:15 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

yeahh, you're right. i mean, ive found numerous examples of people making 240/250 on a stock turbo, and they claim to be running just fine for quite a while. but is it the best idea? no, obviously. Let me rephrase what i was trying to say. 250whp is quite easily obtained with a stock SR20 and a $500 turbo, without losing any reliability at all. Dont believe me? come taking a look at my car. I know you weren't trying to be a dick, and i hope i havent come off as one myself.

Originally Posted by delslow17
Dude, nisbro knows his Shit about nissans so I would def take his word or advice on Nissan stuff.
Nah man, he was right. I said stock SR, but cited an example with an upgraded turbo. I guess i automatically assumed any person in their right might would upgrade from the stock POS t25 first thing.

Like i said before, ive seen multiple examples of people running 14psi on the stock t25 make ~240hp for long periods of time with zero problems what so ever. and as Woo just stated, 260 can be made on a stock turbo all day long.

but even if they were the Vorshlag kit alone costs $3500 then factor in having the custom driveshaft shortened, actually buying an LS1, custom exhaust, then having the wiring and everything done and it's WAY above what I would want to spend just for 250whp. It's down to the SR or a 302 at this point, the 302 sounds like the cheapest and easiest option at this point.
Wouldnt you have to do all the stuff for any of your motor choices?

Not to be a pedantic little shit but do you have numbers to back that up because honestly that sounds hard to believe.
http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/1056...240sx-faq.html

I know it only shows LS1 vs. KA24DE, but the SR is quite a bit lighter than the KA. And if you will refer to this page, you will see that a guy weighed both a CA18DET and an SR20DET with the exact same accessories bolted. The SR20DET weighed out to be about 477lbs, therefor making the LS1 ~9lbs lighter. Although, there are countless variables between the weights of the 2 motors, being as they were weighed at separate times by separate people. I tried finding a direct comparison of the two, but didnt really come up with anything.

Last edited by The Nisbro; 06-08-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 PM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

Originally Posted by The Nisbro
Wouldnt you have to do all the stuff for any of your motor choices?
To some degree yes, the total cost however between doing it for an SR20 or 302 vs. LS1 is that as far as I can tell Vorshlag is really the only place that I've seen that makes a kit for that particular swap (I'd rather have a kit than have the stuff fabbed up custom) and just the headers, mounts, steering shaft, and driveshaft (which would be the wrong length anyway) would cost $3500, by contrast the 302 engine mounts, tranny crossmember, and swap guide are about $300 + shipping and I can keep the OEM steering shaft and have the E36 and Mustang driveshafts mated. In terms of the cost of reaching my goal the 302 is the cheapest (depending on how cheap I could source a drivetrain and if I do it myself using the guide it could cost under 2.5k), the LS1 is the most expensive by far and the SR20 lays somewhere in the gray area in between where I could probably source a drivetrain relatively cheap and relatively local but for the swap conversion parts (mounts, pre loomed harness, etc.) K-conversions would have me over the barrel.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:28 AM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

BTW, Chris you're car looks SICK!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

meh2012 has disabled reputation

Cool, dude. I get what you're saying, but me personally Id never try and get 260 out of a stock turbo w/o meth. But if people are willing to risk it, go for it. If it was me doing this build, id do a 4 rotor w a 35r. But that's prob not the best auto x choice...

Quick Reply: Post pics of your ride!